View RSS Feed

Snappy Blog Title TK

My writing is oriented to sci-fi, fantasy, and horror. I'll try to share news of sales as well as offer advice / findings and promote free contests or market deadlines appropriate to those genres.

1. Cleaning up

by , May 10th, 2014 at 11:08 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Well, I'm finally starting to revisit Burnout Blackout, my 2013 National Novel Writing Month effort, and part 1 over on wattpad is now cleaned up of the most obvious typographical errors from November last and is now posted.

Sadly, this is another form of procrastination, as I'm doing this instead of working on a non-fiction project, but it is writing, so....

It's getting closer to being worked on, I have a first reader and a topic, and proofing writing is a lot closer ...
    Categories
    Writing
  2. Why I will never, ever, EVER shop at Best Buy again

by , January 31st, 2014 at 09:09 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    So I bought a Beats Pill for Kim for Christmas. It was the wrong color ( I knew it was the wrong color when I bought it, Red was out of stock at the time, staff assured me I could trade it later). Kim called every week to ask if the color she wanted was available. Finally, Red is available, I go in to exchange it, on the day we found out it was available. They refused to hold one of the red ones *(should have raised a flag then and there). Great customer service story is already starting.
    Categories
    General
  3. Burnout Blackout live on wattpad (nanorwimo13)

by , November 30th, 2013 at 07:58 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    The whole thing is up. Novel complete at 50,996 per the official validator.

I'm not sure the old links will work, so here's an updated link as I renamed the bugger a little hoping to make sure it got into the $2,000 drawing over on wattpad, which is why the novel now has the nanowrimo13 at the end of the title.

http://www.wattpad.com/story/9722929...ut-nanowrimo13

--Brian.
    Categories
    Writing
  4. Burnout Blackout live on wattpad (nanorwimo13)

by , November 22nd, 2013 at 04:01 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Parts one to eight (roughly the first twenty days) are up on wattpad if anyone's interested.

http://www.wattpad.com/29498035-burnout-blackout

--Brian.
    Categories
    Writing
  5. Burnout Blackout live on wattpad (nanorwimo13)

by , November 9th, 2013 at 12:13 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    I know some people in the Nanowrimo community post their novels and progress live, unedited, as they work.

This year I'm joining the scrum, I guess.

So, should you like to read the progress so far, here's the link.

Expect sporadic updates, I'm going to try to keep updates to once or twice a week.

http://www.wattpad.com/story/9722929-burnout-blackout

--Brian.

Updated November 9th, 2013 at 01:26 PM by expatrie (typo)

Categories
    Writing
  6. NaNo 2013

by , November 9th, 2013 at 11:57 AM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Hoping I can get closer to "par" over the weekend, though getting distracted by setting up on Wattpad hasn't helped.

At any rate, work should start laying off a little over the next week (although not really, I have 11 projects to complete and two from last week still "hanging" and revisions expected on the four I "completed" last week.

We'll see.

Other than that, as story gossip, I've picked up Burnout from last year (I ...

Updated November 9th, 2013 at 12:05 PM by expatrie (expanded information)

Categories
    Writing
  7. The internet. Sigh.

by , September 6th, 2013 at 10:30 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Some days the internet really... pisses me off.

I read a book (published in 1996), it mentions a thirty year failure cycle for major collapses in bridges, it then goes on to mention the Millenium foot bridge as completing the cycle (because in 2007 the I-35W bridge collapsed and the book wasn't out--though admittedly the thesis applies to different TYPES of bridges, so the 35W bridge is outside that as it is not a new type of bridge and the "failure" we are all waiting for ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Stephen King quote on talent

by , July 5th, 2013 at 10:16 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Well, I just finished Bag of Bones today.

On a non sequitur note, I decided to check out the wikipedia entry as I was unclear where we were on the time-line - pre or post being hit by a van. This book is pre.

Anyway,

King's formula for learning to write well is: "Read and write four to six hours a day. If you cannot find the time for that, you can't expect to become a good writer." He sets out each day with a quota of 2000 words and ...
    Categories
    Writing
  9. The writing process

by , June 2nd, 2013 at 05:47 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Well, if you didn't see the May 1 broadcast of Modern Family, with Jay struggling to create a page of his spy thriller, well, I found it hysterical.

Here's information on "Career Day."
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2716564/

One bit (and there are more, please, that are funnier)
    http://youtu.be/otZ1NMk62ic?t=1m49

--Brian.

God, I am so procrastinating.

Updated September 6th, 2013 at 10:38 PM by expatrie (added youtube link because I'm procrastinating.)

Categories
    Writing
  10. I'm not dead!

by , May 14th, 2013 at 10:56 AM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    I've just been sucked under by a work-nami.

That and the current piece I'm working on is not going well. I'm encountering some kind of personal resistance to the topic, I guess. Call it Horror-block.

--Brian.
    Categories
    General , Writing
  11. exercise equipment

by , April 3rd, 2013 at 08:42 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    let's be realistic. all exercise equipment for in home use should also do something else so it actually gets used. ours would, with some modification, make an excellent drying rack for clothes. I could see treadmill toasters, elliptical chairs, bicycles with a fan mounted in them, a dehumidifier would be nice.

Updated May 14th, 2013 at 10:50 AM by expatrie

Categories
    General
  12. Defective prints of Cold Days

by , December 10th, 2012 at 03:13 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    FYI - if you ordered a signed Dresden Cold Days hardcover from Barnes and Noble, you might have a defective book. Mine has a double-feed leave from 345-376, and then it jumps to page 409. Obviously I found this out when I got to page 376 for the first time, but it took me a minute. Like, wait. Harry's taking a shower again? Lacuna is saying she has no clothes again? I'm so confused...

Then I realized. So.

And if you buy the book from a store, check you have pages 377-408 ...
    Categories
    Markets , Reading
  13. Cold Days - no book, no spoilers

by , November 29th, 2012 at 11:59 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    I couldn't spoil the book for you folks if I wanted to. I haven't read chapter one of the preview even, and apparently my book is arriving by quadriplegic hobbit. They took a full day to package the book after I bought it. Wake up Barnes and Noble! Amazon would get it in a box on the same dang day.

Why me?

Let alone the new format and spending ten minutes trying to find... create new post.

--Brian.

I'd rather be reading Cold Days. Dangit. ...
    Categories
    Markets , Reading
  14. September 2012 S/F/H deadlines

by , August 29th, 2012 at 11:40 AM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Has it been a year since I've done this? Work has been eating me alive, and the old home life, too. That and a nearly pathological need for sleep.

Just a sampling cut from duotrope (new format for the web site, give it a look).

Red Skies Press: True Dark Darkest horror 12 Sep 12
    (9/30/2012) Tomorrow Anthology: Post-apocalyptic
    (9/30/2012) In The Spaces Between Anthology: Science Fiction Mysteries

(9/30/2012) Story Star Publishing Short Story ...

Updated August 29th, 2012 at 11:45 AM by expatrie (added True Dark--which I could still conceivable hit the deadline for)

Categories
    Markets
  15. Deadlines

by , June 25th, 2012 at 09:47 PM (Snappy Blog Title TK)
    Well, to quote Douglas Adams, "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."

While I always meet deadlines at work, I am not so successful at writing. This time the issue was I spend too much time doing nothing in the story. I realized this was a problem and came up with a different approach angle, but just ran out of time.

--Brian.
    Categories
    Writing
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast