View RSS Feed

kcmay

1. Writing software

I love books on writing. I have over 70 of them on my shelf right now. Books on plotting and characterization, self-editing and setting, description and prose style -- they're all there. For a while, maybe 8-10 years ago, I started looking for writing software. I bought Dramatica and WritePro and Power Structure. I tried yWriter and WriteWay and Who Knows What Else. And then I went back to good ol' Word.

Don't get me wrong. Word drives me as crazy as the next person. But I know it, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. A scientist reviewed my SF novel

My college degree was in Russian. I don't have a formal education in science, though I love the physical sciences as a lay person. Mostly I write fantasy. The Venom of Vipers was my first real attempt at writing sci-fi, and my biggest fear was that some scientist would come along and blow my cover, revealing me as a hack. I did quite a bit of research, but I pulled some of the science out of my behind and prayed it was plausible enough to squeak by.

Yesterday, I got a review from ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Top 15 of 2010!

My SF novel, The Venom of Vipers, was selected as one of the top 15 books of 2010 by the Journal of Always!

/happy dance
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Let it snow!

I live near Atlanta, GA, USA, which doesn't tend to get a whole lot of snow. This is my first winter here, and wouldn't you know, we had the first white Christmas in over 100 years... and I wasn't even around to witness it. (According to wsbradio.com, "The last measurable snow on Christmas Day was in 1882 when a quarter of an inch accumulated.") I spent my Christmas in north Florida where it did snow a little but not enough to stick anywhere.

For Christmas, my brother gave ...

Updated December 27th, 2010 at 10:19 PM by kcmay

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Goal setting

"They" say that without goals, we don't know whether we've gotten where we want to go. Having a goal of "finish The Wayfarer King" seems overwhelming, so I've decided to chunk it into smaller, more manageable goals. First goal: write 200 words per day, starting... today! I was going to type tomorrow, but why wait? Second goal: finish the first draft by... Feb 14! I think I can do that. Pretty sure. After that, I'll have a better idea where I want to go with the story, so the ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Bright reading

So far, I'm impressed with Bright of the Sky by Kay Kenyon. Every time I think I know where it's going, something different happens. I love that! I wish I had more vacation time this month -- I'm ready to sit and read for about a week straight without even checking email. Unfortunately, I'm a little obsessive about checking email, facebook, twitter and the gazillion forums I visit, let alone the sales reports for my books.

The good news is that Venom is getting terrific reviews! Five ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Is it Friday yet?

After a whirlwind last couple of days, accompanied by a nasty cold, all I want to do is curl up with my Kindle and read for about a week! I've got a few books lined up: Silver by Steven Savile, The Magic of Recluce by Modesitt, The Judge Who Stole Christmas by Randy Singer, Bright of the Sky by Kay Kenyon... I need a vacation!

The good news is that The Venom of Vipers is released, and it's getting outstanding reviews so far. I've heard from a number of people who've been looking forward ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. NaNoWriMo FAIL!

I signed up to participate in NaNo this year, hoping to make significant headway on my next novel (the sequel to The Kinshield Legacy), and I've written not one single new word. Every time I think I should sit down and write a bit, I remind myself that the world & characters have been out of my head for a couple years now (while I worked on The Venom of Vipers), and I should really read my outline for TKL first, maybe even the whole book, to immerse myself so I'll be "there" when I ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Win a copy of The Venom of Vipers

Amazon gift certificate giveaway on Facebook
    In celebration of the Dec 1 release of my science fiction novel, The Venom of Vipers, I'm offering a $5 Amazon gift certificate to five randomly-selected Facebook users who "Like" The Venom of Vipers fan page. All Likers as of midnight EST on Dec 1, 2010 will be entered into a drawing that will be held on Dec 1 at 12:00 noon EST. Winners will be sent their Amazon gift certificate via Facebook.

Goodreads giveaway
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12