View RSS Feed

marysipe

1. OMG! A Readable Blurb!

I think I've finally hit on an angle for a readable blurb! I'm horrible at these kinds of things, and I just realized why: I've been trying to *describe* the story instead of *sell* the story!

Every time I started writing a blurb, I began at the beginning, which locked me down in the number of ways I could introduce things and made my book sound like a hundred others out there. But the "beginning" is a prologue (yeah, I know) and while it's very important to the story, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Taking a Break

For the past two weeks I have been feverishly editing my novel to get it ready for macro readers. I finished earlier than I'd expected and now I have a choice. I can either jump onto the next project and work like mad, or I can enjoy the down time and use it to do other things.

I'm choosing the down time. I recognize that, as a writer and workaholic, I often put too much pressure on myself. So, I am making a concerted effort to take the down time when it comes along. A lot of ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Photoshop is Hard

Whoo! *wipes sweat from brow* I just finished posting a photoshop tutorial at my other blog and man is it hard to explain these things. They're actually fairly easy to do, once you get the hang of the program. So much so that I'd forgotten how many words it can take to get the points across. I hope it's easy to follow! I really don't want to edit it again any time soon!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Of Indie Publishing and Pure Flail

I haven't posted here in waaay too long. I've been busy with the indie publishing flail. I've decided to self publish my book A Sign in Blood (later this year sometime ) and I've been voraciously reading.

So, what's you opinion on self-publishing, ebooks and Smashwords? Oh, come on! You know you have one. I think all writers have got to be asking themselves these questions right now. So have you considered self-publishing? Why or why not?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Facebook

Well, I finally signed up for Facebook! It was easier than I expected, but still a bit overwhelming. You can find my page here, if you're so inclined.

I like that I can stream my blog posts there, it makes things a whole lot simpler. It was an interesting diversion, but I'd better get back to the writing.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Location, Location, Location

London has certainly made its mark on fantasy. There are depiction of it alongside a parallel world in both Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere and China Mieville's Un Lun Dun. We see echoes of London in Mieville's New Crobuzon and Pratchett's Ankh-Morpork.

All of those authors are British, of course, which brings up an interesting question. How much of our secondary worlds are based on the places we're familiar with? While we might re-imagine them, how often do you find yourself adding ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Progress and Posts

I'm well stuck into the first draft of Blood Home--I know what happens now!--and the second draft of Glass and Steel. I wanted so badly to keep it in the same point of view, but that's just not possible. I can't effectively tell the story from that POV. So, a more or less total rewrite is in order. I hate when that happens. But, I still love the story, so that's the most important thing.

I also made a post on my blog about The Exercise of Vital Powers. It's about my take ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Tropes and Cliches in Fantasy

What makes fantasy, fantasy? Is it magic? Is it the low-tech level? The inclusion of creatures from mythological and folkloric sources? What makes a fantasy novel not a science fiction or horror novel?

Read More
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Fated!

I've solved the problem with Fated and I am nearing the finish line! It's just a run through a cave and a slip down a waterfall away! Whoohooo!

I'm really gonna have to cut the crap out of this story. It's about twice as long as it was supposed to be. Which is all too usual for me, really.

But, I am not thinking of all the editing I'll have to do, because that would take all the fun out of getting to those last words (for my first visit).
  10. Three Quarters of the Way

I don't do a lot of world building before I start a short story. I usually know the setting, the central conflict, and have a sketchy idea of the characters. I don't outline and the worldbuilding I do is minimal, although I have a basic concept.

The writing then becomes about discovery. I learn a lot from writing the first three quarters of the story. And then I stop. About three quarters other way through, I always reach a point at which I don't know enough. It could be because ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Themes in Fiction

Themes have been on my mind, lately. They're a bit of an abstract concept and often I see writers stressing out over them and I've stressed about them myself from time to time. What are themes and what part do they play in writing?

Read More.

Updated March 13th, 2011 at 05:10 PM by marysipe

Categories
    Uncategorized