View RSS Feed

Tim Craire

1. The Fifth Element makes a best-of list . . .

MSN placed it #36 on a quickie 'best-ever summer blockbusters' list today. Silly, I know, but the mention (and the picture of Milla Jovovich) got me to read the thing.

It's one of the very few movies I own.

Always reassuring to find one's pop-culture choices approved.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Free copy of epic fantasy ebook (for kindle)

Happy Friday . . . if you want to wish-list this novel, let me know and I'll get it for you. My email address is under "about me" at my profile.

The Pennants of Larkhall

Prince Harlan ascends the throne of Larkhall on the battlefield when his father is killed beside him; he instantly inherits the invasion of corpse-like Northerners which rages around him – and also a surging blight centered on an ancient crater which has been turning farms to ash and will ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Killer review on Amazon

And I don't even know this person. I mean, I know her now. I didn't know her before she read the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Boiler-R...8019335&sr=8-1

I'm breaking out the red wine. Wait, I've already done that. Okay, I'm breaking out more.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Tales from the Boiler Room: Free for y'all

I wrote a story about a Mayan who refuses to play along with his local theocratic rule, human sacrifices, etc., and I realized that he is pretty much what Holden Caulfield would have been like had he lived 1800 years ago in Mesoamerica. This collection of stories also has aliens for whom chocolate is a narcotic; a nagging ghost still complaining about his apartment building’s heat from beyond the grave; and a yeti who ought to join a labor union.

http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Boiler-R...4520202&sr=8-1 ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. The old days of U.S. space travel

My blog title is a bit sensationalist, I know, but still -- I feel sad explaining to my kids what the space shuttle "was." (I'm inspired to write this based on the last launch of Discovery, of course.) For all of its problems I think that an ambitious space program was one of the better things the U.S. government has come up with, to do with itself.

That's right, kids (I tell them), the shuttles were cool, and we were going to replace them with something better . . . ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Vote for which blurb I'll use

I’m working on self-publishing, via CreateSpace on Amazon, my fantasy novel. I may put a blurb on the back cover. Which of the following four do you think is best?

(Obviously if these descriptions make you want to get the novel now for Kindle, that’s peachy, but in any case I really am interested in your opinions - Thanks!)

#1 – excerpt:

The raid on the mammoths had made Harlan worry – because of the physical danger of getting speared, or else brained ...

Updated February 4th, 2011 at 02:58 PM by Tim Craire (better title)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Oh YES Star Trek blazed a good trail!

Anyone hear the NPR story this morning about how Star Trek (TOS) influenced the African-American astronaut Ronald McNair? He was a member of the Challenger crew 25 years ago.

My inclination has always been to believe that equality portrayed in entertainment could be influential in the real world; so it was a good thing, for example, that Star Trek way back in the ‘60s showed an integrated crew, and that William Shatner kissed Nichelle Nichols onscreen. I worried I was being naïve, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Books (not mine) my 7-year-old likes

My son likes the Dinosaur Cove series by Rex Stone.

I assumed that "Rex Stone" was a pseudonym, and it is; I hoped it was the pen name of some struggling single mom, you know, or some disabled former firefighter who got lung damage rescuing babies, or something; turns out that apparently it's used by several ghostwriters.

Anyway my son, in 1st grade, likes the series. Two boys find a way to travel back in time to the Cretaceous, where they befriend one ...
  9. Painless excerpt -- this won't hurt a bit.

From my new fantasy novel; for kindle, and eventually hard copy:

“So this baron for whom Vianko worked was jealous of Olsen and his racehorse and disparaged the animal as they drank. He kept claiming that the horse was not as fast as other horses he had seen, not as fast as horses of Oluvai, and so on. Olsen answered him every time by mentioning some great race in Oluvai itself which the horse had won by so many lengths.

“Well, the old baron kept drinking and after ...