View RSS Feed

Freewriter

1. Book Bible Blog - How it all started.

It all started when I purchased the dreaded Kindle. I know what some people think about the Kindle but it revolutionised my reading habits. There is an obvious joke there, which Iím guessing is what the marketing guys intended. Actually, attributing my new found interest to the Kindle is inaccurate. I should give credit to my ex-girlfriend who is now my best friend. We decided to take a holiday on a quite Greek Island called Naxos. Itís not as popular as some resorts and visiting out of season made ...
    Categories
    Novel
  2. Book Bible Blog - The Neural implant.

The neural implant sets the Mind Pilots apart from other humans; only a pilot can interface with the nanotech implants. Interfacing with the implant takes no more effort than opening and closing a hand for a pilot. The ability comes naturally to those with the gift. This gift has been attributed to a genetic anomaly although the theory has yet to been proven as the anomaly has been found to be impossible to replicate.

The bulk of the implant sits in the abdomen. The main CPU, memory ...
  3. Book Bible Blog - Rock4678.

The planet designated Rock4678 was discovered 40 years before a human set foot on it by a UOL Gaia probe. The probe had journeyed through the void for 50 years prior to its discovery. Twice the size of Terra it was well within the capabilities of the planetary AGE to tame its gravitational forces. The development of fauna and flora has been much more difficult to achieve. The planet dwells within a dark region. Dark regions are ancient areas of space where the suns are dying. The light cast by these ...
    Categories
    Locations
  4. Book Bible Blog - This blog.

This blog is to track the concepts for use in my novel. These descriptions won't be used directly in the text it's a reference tool to ensure consistency.

You may notice when reading the blogs they're not drenched in detail. I have no desire to bore readers to death with the intricate details of made up technology. I believe a novel has to have a rip roaring story about characters you connect with. There has to be a certain amount of technology within my novel as the story demands ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Book Bible Blog - The Gaia Probe.

The Gaia probe is the UOLĎs greatest achievement and the saviour of mankind from the tedium of the lifeless and inhospitable void. These gigantic autonomous probes scour the galaxy looking for suitable donor planets.

The UOL determined that the two basic elements required for kick starting life upon barren rocks are gravity and atmosphere, with the latter relying upon the former. The Gaia probe creates both elements within human parameters and additionally, seeds the basic building ...
    Categories
    Universe
  6. The University of Life (UOL).

The University of Life (UOL) came into being during manís early conquest of space. The UOL emerged from manís earliest official Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence the SETI Institute. SETI was a non-profit corporation sponsored by technology companies and other scientific institutions. The proliferation of man throughout the solar-system and advances in space based technology increased interest in the universe and consequentially, funding.

SETI relaunched itself as the University ...
    Categories
    Universe
  7. Book Bible Blog - Singularity Power Generator (SPG).

The advent of the Anti-gravity Engine (AGE) revolutionised space flight. It also allowed man to harness the greatest power in the universe, the black hole.

The black hole is a hugely destructive force. However, tamed by man it has fuelled his conquest of space. A black hole is made of material so dense that it absorbs even light. Its extensive mass creates gravitational fields so great that entire planets are dragged to their doom. The mass is also an unparalleled source of energy. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Book Bible Blog - The Anti-Gravity Engine.

As resources became scarce on Terra humans took to the stars to feed their voracious appetite for materials. Manís greed ensured that conflicts started on the surface were pursued vigorously into the void.

The level of technology attained at the time of manís entry into the void constricted ships to the limits of Newtonís theories of physics. The early ships had to overcome their mass to change direction, which exhausted huge amounts of fuel. Mass became the primary design constraint ...
    Categories
    Universe
  9. Book Bible Blog - Defensive Systems.

Shields.

The primary component of shield technology is a powerful electro-magnetic field. This field in itself can be used to disrupt physical objects or charged objects. However, its real function is to hold a web of cold plasma in place. The ionised plasma deflects surface electrons of incoming atoms.

This type of field is extremely effective at dispersing lasers, particle beams and projectile weapons. Plasma beams pose an issue as it heats the cold plasma causing ...
    Categories
    Universe
  10. Book concepts - Weaponry.

Pulsed Energy Projectile.

An intense pulse of laser energy ablates the surface of the target creating exploding plasma. The weapon causes surface damage due to heat and a small amount of kinetic damage due to the force of the explosion. An EM field is also produced, which affects electronics and causes nerve pain in humans. Anti-personnel weapons can be used to stun opponents at low power levels, leaving just a small burn.

Projectile Weapons.

Projectile ...
    Categories
    Universe
  11. Book Bible Blog - Communicating in the void.

Quantum communications are based upon Quantum Entanglement. Particles that have interacted and become entangled in the past will continue to interact when separated by distance. A change in a particleís state will be mirrored in the entangled particle, regardless of distance. For instance the polarisation of two separated previously interacting photons. This photon can be referred to as Qubit. A series of Qubit states can be used to transmit information almost instantaneously. A photonic qubit can ...
    Categories
    Universe
  12. Book Bible Blog - Wormhole Gates.

A Wormhole gate uses the principles of the Alcubierre drive to create an energy tunnel to another point in space many light years away. Space craft are able to navigate through these short tunnels in minutes and emerge from the far side light years from their last real space coordinates.

Two gates are required to create a wormhole. If the tunnel isnít terminated in a stable manner the destination isnít guaranteed as an untethered wormhole behaves in a similar way to a disconnected ...
    Categories
    Universe
  13. Book Bible Blog - Faster Than Light Drive (FTL Drive).

Contemporary FTL drives are based upon the ancient concept of the Alcubierre drive. The concept relies upon expanding space-time behind a ship and shrinking the fabric of space in front of it. The ship itself does not move, space-time slides beneath the ship. Creating these shifts in space-time can be achieved by the use of a dark energy bubble. The trick is to position the ship on the meniscus of the bubble in order to create the effect needed for virtual propulsion.

The bubble itself ...
    Categories
    Universe
  14. Book Bible Blog - Mind Pilots

Originally they were referred to as Linkers, now theyíre known as Mind Pilots. Their abilities arenít specifically geared towards the piloting of space faring vessels but with the odds stacked heavily in their favour their exploits at the helm of powerful spacecraft seem heroic to the masses when aired on the media channels.

A rare genetic anomaly that has proven not to be hereditary and impossible to reproduce by geneticists, legally or otherwise, instantly transforms a minute number ...