View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. What I'm Reading

I never realized that the memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant were so interesting. My husband gave me links to a whole list of interesting free Kindle books for Christmas, including these memoirs, and they're engrossing. I read somewhere that his memoirs are supposed to be the best military memoirs ever written, even better than Caesar's Commentaries. It helps that Samuel Clemens was his editor. The section on how the army tamed mules had me laughing out loud!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Publishing II

We published my husband's book today! Woohoo!!!

The book is called 'Once We Were Human' and it's available on Amazon for the kindle and on www.smashwords.com for all other e-formats. Plus there's a companion piece called 'The Good Doctor's Tales Folio One' and it's available in the same places.

My husband's name is Randall Farmer and his author's website is at www.MajorTransform.com and has all sorts of interesting information on it.

Now we're just ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Publishing

Self-epublishing is getting more common, and it's interesting to go through the process. My husband is the real writer in the family and he does most of the work, but I'm pretty involved, and there's a lot to it. Writing, editing and tuning the novel is the heart of it, of course, but there's a lot more. Covers, for instance. You want something professional, but a professional cover artist is way out of range for a first ebook - you could easily end up paying far more than the book will ever ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Reading

The Game of Thrones series is really good, but wow, not much good happens. I just finished the third book and up until the end, it seems like it's one long disaster after another. George RR Martin must be doing something right, though, as I just started the fourth book anyway.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. More Writing

Wow the cover thing is a pain in the neck. If we were artists, we'd be trying to publish art, not novels! Fortunately, my husband has a decent artistic sense and is pretty good with the graphics software also, so he's made what looks to me like a very nice cover out of 4 photos purchases from a stock photo place. Soon, soon...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Writing Stuff

My husband and I are getting ready to e-publish. Good progress so far - friends are doing the final readthrough of the book, I finished my edit of the companion piece, my husband created a cover for the companion piece, and the website is almost ready to go. We need to get a cover for the main book, finish the author's website, and do the sysnopsis. Soon, soon...

The book, Once We Were Human, is the first book of a series. The rest of the series is written and even mostly edited. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. The Joy of Re-reading

It's nice to re-discover how good a good book really is. I knew Game of Thrones was really good (they're making a television serious out if after all), but I'd forgotten how good.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. What I'm Reading

Game of Thrones. I'd completely lost track of the plot line, and so i've decided to start over from the beginning and read the series through. This will keep me busy for the next couple months!

I also recently got a Kindle for my birthday, and I've been loading it up with cheap or free books. I downloaded a Rudyard Kipling collection for $1.99. He's bigotted, mysogynistic, and a product of his times, but wow, the man can write. The collection is incredibly long, so I'm reading ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Hi there

I am just getting started here, so I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm happily married, have 2 children, started my career as a computer programmer, and now am a middle manager of software development at a major multi-national. In my free time, I read, play fantasy role playing games, do soccer mom duty for my daughter, and work with my husband writing science fiction novels. I'm delighted to join the discussion, and will post more here as I have things to say that other people might find interesting. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized