View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. Book 3: The Liar's Prophecy

by , January 20th, 2014 at 07:18 PM (Task Force: Gaea)
    "Even death cannot protect you from your past."—the tagline of the third novel in the Task Force: Gaea series, The Liar's Prophecy. No spoilers to follow.

The third installment of this series picks up not long after Memory's Curse ends, and the members of the United Nations Task Force: Gaea—Aegis, Talon, Aether, and Zodiak—will encounter something that has had millennia to fester with a deep-seated yearning for vengeance. While the gods possess the powers of the natural ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. I Write for Word Nerds

by , January 20th, 2014 at 07:15 PM (Task Force: Gaea)
    "Why don't you just use regular words? You know, like 'dumb down' the vocabulary a little?" I was asked recently. By regular, I assume that meant easier or more commonly used. So, what you're saying is that you want a novel spoon-fed to you with language you don't have think about. Dumb down? I won't disrespect my readers by assuming they can't understand what I've written. Where's the fun in that? I certainly understand the desire to write for an audience, but I like the idea of providing ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. NEW: Glossary of Immortals — FREE!

by , October 20th, 2012 at 11:37 PM (Task Force: Gaea)
    To help readers of Task Force: Gaea with knowing more background of "who's who," they can download a FREE PDF download of Glossary of Immortals, a brief overview of just who the gods are, complete with pronunciation guide.

If you encounter a problem downloading the document, please email me at tchrofengl@gmail.com.

Updated October 20th, 2012 at 11:40 PM by tchrofengl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Pssst... Teaser from the sequel, Memory's Curse.

A swirling blackness, Nyx moved and shaped herself in ways that would stagger the mortal mind, collapsing into eddies of dark, living clouds, ready to bear her offspring implanted in her by Olympos’ adulterous king. With the catacombs of the dead for her nursery, Nyx wanted to bring forth her daughter in the company of the agonized, pitiable souls of those who had never made it beyond the gates of the underworld; they had much to offer her child. Suddenly, almost as if she had forgotten her role ...

Updated October 9th, 2012 at 11:09 PM by tchrofengl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Goodreads Giveaway

by , September 1st, 2012 at 02:31 AM (Task Force: Gaea)
    Half an hour until this Giveaway begins! TEN books! http://bit.ly/PL5HZI
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Redefining Horror—Can You Face It?

How do you define horror? The dictionary defines it as

An intense feeling of fear, shock, or disgust OR A thing causing such a feeling.

In truth, is that all? Can you look at movies of demonic possession or nights of the living dead and call that horror? What about Friday the 13th movies or I am Legend? Of course. But, there's much more to it, I believe.

I've never been a fan of the horror genre—it scares the hell out of me. But, what I've seen or read ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Sometimes you have to say goodbye...

to something you're writing. Tell me if this sounds familiar:

You've had ideas floating around your mind for days—you set up the place you're going to work in, grab a cup of coffee, turn off your cell phone, and begin writing, pouring out all of the images, words, catchy phrases, and greatness you're thinking you've just given birth to. You spend hours, maybe even days, on this treasure you've brought to the surface, only to find out (when you go back to edit) that it's crap.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Ten Commandments for a Happy Writing Life

So, I'm reading The Pocket Muse by Monica Wood as (you guessed it) inspiration for a writing course I am developing. As a writer myself, I found this list interesting, but rather than just post it, I wanted to add my 2 cents, just because. I hope you find both the list and my comments useful!

1. Don't wait for inspiration; establish a writing habit.

Man, do I know that. Sometimes, inspiration hits you when you're in the shower, in the middle of a meeting, when you're ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Today's the day...

"No more fooling around.

Set an egg timer for forty-five minutes, and don't get out of the chair until the timer dings. Even if you sit staring at the page the entire time, you're ingraining a habit.

Chickens and fraidy-cats may begin with five-minute segments."

The Pocket Muse, Monica Wood
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. A Poem—Two Ancient Lands Meet: Eire and Hellas

I visited the Aran Islands in 2005 and found myself at a place beyond my imagination. Housed on the edge of a cliff (hundreds of feet above the ocean) on the island of Inishmore was a stone fort aging back to the Iron Age—Dún Dúchathair (The Black Fort). The stones of these forts have no mortar; they're just standing on their own without any ropes or fences.

When I visited this fort, early one morning, a dog was roaming around, sniffing the rocks, and when I ventured a little closer ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Shades of Difference Matter—Elemental Ideas

When I teach the novel, Ceremony, by Leslie Marmon Silko, I usually teach about the Mother Goddess and the Hero’s Journey. Actually, it just gives me an excuse to talk about mythology, something I could do all day. Going over this, though, shows my students that every single heroic story follows the same skeletal structure (I could go on about the Hero’s Journey in more detail, but that would take up way too much room). The basics, though, involve the journey of the hero on his or her road of trials ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Did you just crawl out from under a rock?

To be inspired? I'll do almost anything (keep reading to find out about the rock).

So, picture nine beautiful ladies, dressed to inspire—bumping, grinding, singing, spitting poetry, being all tragic or comedic, going on about the stars and history and stuff around one man with his hands all over his instrument.

Not sure where your mind was, but I'm talking about the Muses, and their main man is Apollo, god of music. Most paintings show him, strumming his lyre, surrounded ...

Updated June 19th, 2012 at 09:51 PM by tchrofengl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Review: Wrath of the Titans (or Titan?)

WARNING: Spoilers ahead for those who haven't seen the movie.

I'm certainly not one to criticize the rewriting of mythology since my novel, Task Force: Gaea, does that by tweaking Greek mythology. After all, people spread myths by word of mouth before they did so in writing, so changes invariably happened. In fact, depending on whether you ascribe to Hesiod or Orphism, you get a variety of myths on the same subject. Keeping this in mind, I watched Wrath of the Titans, the sequel to ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Trailer for Memory's Curse

Be ready.

http://youtu.be/ulkeiMqP9Q0

Updated June 16th, 2012 at 12:56 AM by tchrofengl

Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Horror Among the Gods

Considering what many people know (or don’t know) about the gods of Greek myth, it’s not surprising to learn that the idea of horror doesn’t really factor into the mythology. Some of the myths and legends may indeed frighten, but very few actually are intended to invoke that nausea that emanates from a story where blood, bile, and other bodily fluids are ripped or drained from a human. Certain myths tell of horrific events, things that mere mortals wouldn’t be able to stomach for long, but the stories ...

Updated June 14th, 2012 at 11:49 PM by tchrofengl

Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast