View RSS Feed

Caspar Riga

1. Indexical Zero Theory

Here's a glimpse of what I am about to publish to this week:

So what about the two buttons on the right? asked Dion, do they also have an up, a down, and a still position?
    Up, down, and normal. By normal we mean that it only reacts to what we do with the five other buttons. In the up position we go up the Pascal Triangle, line by line, toward the first simplex, until there is no line left, just the number 1, the only degree of remoteness known to the primitives. When an ...
  2. Making up my mind

So I am blending the books. In the one book, the devil is the bad guy, in the other he plays no part. The plot of the latter revolves the rising and sinking of Atlantis and Mu, which in this story is due to artificial scarcity. That's where the taxes came in, but I don't want the cause to be the taxes. If you look back at the previous post, the cause is to be found with those " whose payment took place here." Those will be the Ancients, so now they must have made contact with El Dhja'athangh, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. today less science more god

I'm rewriting two old books into one unmarketably big volume. Here's a paragraph:

Tehuti wanted to chase the hound away, he smelled of death, but Atlas had said he had to be welcome somehow, or he would not have shown up inside the fence, so the elf just circled him once or twice. At one point his jaguar tail touched the hound, who had a suit and upright build, and the elf could sense something he had never sensed before. The hound belonged to someone. Not like a love or a slave, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. from Carmine Vermilion (an underground train of thought)

I met Yusuf the second time I went to Israel. He had also been selected for the motor pool. We were introduced to the colonel and he showed us the strangest things he could make an engine do. Made us build engine parts from scratch with materials he had prepared. We built tanks that could run for two days without stopping for fuel, without really knowing what we were doing. Slowly he explained it to us. Every magnitude has a dimension, more correctly: a compound dimensionality, expressed as mass, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Mu and Atlantis

In an earlier work I ran into the same thicket. There were dwarfs and elves and they could travel through space and time and do all sorts of magic, to the point that I, as an author, could no longer get them in trouble. Yet I found an element in the tale, which held that you could follow someone back to their time, but if you were not welcome, you could only get as close as the garden fence. In other words, magic was limitend by conventional law. Conventional? How does magic know when someone is ...
  6. Designer forces

Point being that in this story the physical laws stay the same, they are taken as principles that work in principle, rather than on principle. So when I say as an author that there are many more formula spaces, besides the standard one in the books, but the principles are the same for each of them, I am making physics bigger than it is outside the book. Or am I? What if those other formula spaces I presumed don't work along? What if they form an obstruction to the flow of the story?
    It is ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Sorry for the double posts

I'm sorry for the double posts.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. From the book:

"Right, you said something about the System of Units being just one of the formula spaces we find in nature. And that you bring these all in line within your oven, which has five buttons. Four can go up or down, or be still, three for the dimensions and one for entropy and temperature."
    "Yes, the intersection between entropy and temperature."
    "Fine, and the fifth button also has three positions," said Dion. It was all coming back to him. "One is OFF, ...
  9. From the book:

"Right, you said something about the System of Units being just one of the formula spaces we find in nature. And that you bring these all in line within your oven, which has five buttons. Four can go up or down, or be still, three for the dimensions and one for entropy and temperature."
    "Yes, the intersection between entropy and temperature."
    "Fine, and the fifth button also has three positions," said Dion. It was all coming back to him. "One is OFF, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Facebook page of Carmine Vermilion

11. Facebook page of Carmine Vermilion

12. Carmine Vermilion

I've created a story that features a garage with a new mechanical philosophy, where the dimensions of an engine are turned to zero, so all their sizes come from symmetry. It all happens in the oven, in the attic of the garage, where projective geometry meets the System of Units. From that point on, everything is possible, but I wonder, is this story about a garage, which is right on the city limit, an urban fantasy or a science fiction?
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Indexical Zero Theory

What is the nature of physical laws? Do they follow from number, do they follow from love? Are they necessary or contingent? And if they are contingent, that is to say, if they only came about by happenstance, can they change?
    I believe a physical law is only a law if it is necessarily true. So what do you get in a writer's universe if you discard a few laws? You can't simply say that more things will be possible, because it may just be the laws that make things possible. So does a physical ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized