View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. GRRM Has Made Me See the Light

So Iíve read the first seven of Terry Goodkindís Sword of Truth books after watching and enjoying the TV show Legend of the Seeker which was based (loosely) on those books.

Please.

Donít judge me.

Of the seven I read, I really enjoyed two (Stone of Tears and Soul of the Fire) I thought three were okay (Wizardís First Rule, Blood of the Fold and Faith of the Fallen) and I really hated the other two (Temple of the Winds and The Pillars of Creation ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. The First Law and stuff

I just finished up Last Argument of Kings, Book 3 of Joe Abercrombie's brilliant The First Law trilogy. This was the best work I've read since R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing. I love-love-loved it! Like Bakker and Matthew Stover, I'll read everything that Abercrombie publishes. I'm looking forward to reading Best Served Cold and then The Heroes, but I'm pretty rigid with my reading schedule. I have a list of books I want to read that will take me well into 2012, and I haven't scheduled ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Blood of the Fold Part 3

I finished Terry Goodkindís Blood of the Fold not too long ago, and Iím becoming more and more of a Sword of Truth fan with each book. Donít panic, now! Iím not turning into one of those fans who gets all pissed off when someone says something negative about the series. It does have its faults, but I like where itís going and Richard and Kahlanís relationship isnít anywhere near as annoying as it used to be. Although this could be because they were apart for most of this book.

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Seeker and Lost Finales

Page 368 of Blood of the Fold and finally Kahlan appears! Yay!

So Legend of the Seekerís finale was Saturday night and Lostís was Sunday. What a downer of a weekend because two of my favorite shows are now done. But both finales were very satisfying for me and I liked them a lot. Beware, there be spoilers, here. Weíll start with Seeker.

I liked how Seeker resolved their main conflict for this season and didnít leave it open at all. I find that refreshing especially ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Blood of the Fold Part 2

Blood of the Fold, Book 3 in the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

Blood of the Fold is still moving a little slowly, but Iíve just passed the 300 page mark and now weíre getting somewhere. Iíve just met the newest villain in the book, the emperor Jagang, and although I have an issue with him that I will get into in a bit, his character is intriguing so far. The Sisters of the Dark fear him and Iíve heard a lot about him, so there was a little bit of build-up for him, and ...

Updated May 18th, 2010 at 02:19 PM by Spears&Buckler

Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Blood of the Fold Part 1

Blood of the Fold, Book 3 in the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

So Legend of the Seeker has been cancelled, but Iím going to continue reading the Sword of Truth Series anyway. Iím about 140 pages into book 3, Blood of the Fold, and here are my thoughts so far:

There has been a small amount of action with Richard and his gar friend, Gratch, fighting off a bunch of mriswith, and it was a decent scene. Overall it is moving a little slowly for my taste, but itís ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Almost there...

I'm less than 100 pages from the end of Stone of Tears. It was really slow going for a while there in the beginning...

And the middle....

But it's been pretty good for the last 150-200 pages or so. Just like Wizard's First Rule, there is a huge chunk that could have been slashed right out to make this doorstop of a book a bit shorter. But the end (so far) has gotten me back into it.

As a side note, it was cool to see something in the preview for this ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Stone of Tears Real Time Review Part 1

This is the first of my "Real Time Reviews" in which I will talk about my feelings for a book while I'm reading it. I think this will work better for me as the events that take place will be fresh in my mind. Enjoy!

DISCLAIMER: There may (will) be some spoilers in this Real Time Review.

So Iíve started reading Stone of Tears, book 2 in Terry Goodkindís Sword of Truth series. Iím roughly 200 pages into it, and much like the first book, Wizardís First Rule, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized