View RSS Feed

Thoughts

My thoughts on the world/USA

1. Survey

by , October 31st, 2012 at 12:15 AM (Rob Garbin's Blog)
    I could use some help over at my new blog if anyone is willing, Robert Garbin's Blog. I have created a short 3 question survey to get some data for a future post and I would like to get answers from anyone that is willing. Please, don't take offense over the questions because none is intended. I am only looking for data. Thanks.
  2. Day Brightner

Having had a frustrating week of itching due to a case of poison ivy, I was feeling, shall we say, less than friendly. Late last night I decided to check my podcasts for my Zune, which I had not downloaded for a while, and got a happy suprise.

A new Squonk tale by P.M. Butler. Who is Squonk you say? Well, he is a Dragon who has appeared in two short stories read on the fantasy site Podcastle.org. I became aquainted with him in his adventure "Squonk and the horde of apprentices" ...
  3. I Want it Back

I just want to state here and now, that if by some freak occurance the Republicans get total control of the government and do away with Social Security, I want all the money I put in back. I beleive that is my right as a citizen. If I am never to see any service for the money I put in, then I deserve a refund. Think of the costs to a Republican government if we all stood up for our rights and demanded our money back for lack of fulfilling their obligation. We were made to give them money because ...
  4. Where's the Water?

Here is another thought for the math people, concerning our resources. One of the resources that is becoming increasingly scarce in our modern time is fresh water. There are of course many reasons for our diminishing water supply from over use, pollution, and waste, but here is one I think no one considers, us.

My thoughts are as follows:

1. The human body is, I beleive, 75% water.

2. Our population has increased drastically from early civilization ...
  5. Where is the Metal?

Question for you scientific minded people, what effect does moving large amounts of metal ores from deep within the earth to concentrated areas on the surface (cities) have on the magnetism of the earth? I realize that the core carries most of the power for our system, but consider that the ores on the mantel have accumulated over millenia, while the bulk of the changes we have made have occured in only a few centuries and the quantities are staggering. Just something I feel no one has thought ...

Updated May 23rd, 2012 at 04:07 PM by Gkarlives

Categories
    Thoughts
  6. Food for Thought, Old Chaps

by , April 27th, 2012 at 09:23 PM (Rob Garbin's Blog)
    This one goes out to the American Tea Party who proudly wave their "Don't Tread on Me" flags. Do you realize that you have chosen for your mascot one of the most despised creatures on earth. First, the creature is cold blooded. Wait a minute, that might fit your one solution only, cold blooded approach to government. Second, many snakes are dangerous to humans. Third, the snake is associated with the fall of man. Fourth, when man was cast out of Eden, the snake was cast out as well ...
  7. Money Equals Speech

by , April 12th, 2012 at 07:23 PM (Rob Garbin's Blog)
    Here is a surprise for many that read this blog. I actually agree with a Republican, well at least in a conditional sense. The title of this post gives away the person who is, of course, Karl Rove. To begin with, I would like to state my feelings toward Mr. Rove. Personally, I feel that he, President Bush, Dick Cheney, and a vast number of their cohorts should be in jail for War Crimes, treason to our democracy, and most likely a whole host of unknown other crimes. With that said, I find that ...

Updated April 14th, 2012 at 11:19 PM by Gkarlives (Forgot something)

Categories
    Thoughts
  8. Confidence and Delusion Part IV

by , April 12th, 2012 at 01:50 PM (Rob Garbin's Blog)
    Risk continued

I hinted at the main issue with risk in our economy, but did not specifically say it or explain the true consequences. The truth is that every economic venture has a risk that someone must bear. The true consequence of this statement results when risk is not shared fairly. Basically, if the creators of a venture do not share in the risk, then someone else does. The bailout of Wall Street is a perfect example of the situation. Most of the major players in the risky ...
    Categories
    Thoughts
  9. What Have You Wrought?

by , April 12th, 2012 at 12:58 PM (Rob Garbin's Blog)
    I recently began reading the first book in the Pelbar Cycle by Paul O. Williams that describes a world devastated by war and just beginning to recover. The story focuses on a society that is matriarchal, meaning it is run by women, which to my western eyes seems farfetched given history, European roots, and current reality. I know that there are vast differences across the multitude of cultures present on the earth but women have been on the receiving end of more injustice than men. However, ...
    Tags: bigotry, creation, god, man Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Thoughts
  10. The Review to "Against All Things Ending" I Forgot to Post

by , March 17th, 2012 at 08:21 PM (Rob Garbin's Blog)
    This is the third book inthe Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. The story picks up right where the second book "Fatal Revenant" left off, only seconds in this case. For me the story is much better than the second book, which at the end seemed very derivative of the events in "The Wounded Land". Basically, the events felt too contrived for me. With "Against All Things Ending" more revelations of the Lands past are revealed through Thomas Covenant's current condition. ...

Updated March 17th, 2012 at 08:23 PM by Gkarlives

Categories
    Thoughts
  11. More Thoughts

I want to express some of my thoughts, not my position mind you, but my thoughts on the abortion issue.

First, there are those out there who feel that women who get abortions should be ostracized for being murderers. Does this go equally well for the husbands and fathers who force women to have abortions? Are they held equally accountable for the child they created? Why do women carry the greatest burden of this shame?

Second, the same people who ostracize a woman ...

Updated March 6th, 2012 at 10:04 PM by Gkarlives

Categories
    Thoughts
  12. Another Thought

by , February 15th, 2012 at 11:07 PM (Rob Garbin's Blog)
    Many prominent religions vigorously campaign against any use of birth control for two reasons. One, they say that birth control promotes sexual promiscuity. Two, God told Adam and Eve to be fruitful and multiply. I have some questions for them.

1. If not using birth control cuts down on promiscuity, then why are there such large families within certain religions? If you have eighteen kids, it is not because you are practicing abstinence.

2. If God's words to Adam ...
  13. I got my #@*!# kicked by Claudia Christian

by , January 31st, 2012 at 07:25 PM (Rob Garbin's Blog)
    Well, by her character in the game Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Legate Rikke of the legion, and of course, I would not mind in real life either. This is one of those funny conundrums of circumstances that can occur in these types of open world games. I was on the mission to retrieve the Jagged Green Crown before the Stormcloaks could and I am a level 43 character. Everything was fine through the first two groups of guards except I did not feel like I was getting to do much. I began pushing to get ...
  14. Varied Thoughts

by , January 19th, 2012 at 08:30 PM (Rob Garbin's Blog)
    Here are some varied thoughts I feel like passing on:

1. I recall hearing that some Republicans and Tea Party advocates liken Social Security to a ponsi scheme where many people need to input money constantly to support the wealth of a few people. Well, my thought is, if that is the case, then what is Wall Street. Large pools of investors sink large amounts of money into the stock exchange, which in the end pays off handsomely for a select few. Sure, many people make a return ...

Updated January 19th, 2012 at 08:34 PM by Gkarlives

Categories
    Thoughts
  15. Confidence and Delusion III

by , January 12th, 2012 at 10:22 PM (Rob Garbin's Blog)
    Freedom and Obligation:

In this section I plan to look into the issue of risk in our economic system. Risk in our economy has similar traits to that of debt. Persons in positions of influence and knowledge are able to push the dangers of the risks they create onto others who may or may not understand the dangers involved. To begin with, let us look at some basics. Every business venture carries a level of risk with it. A person opening a convenience store takes the risk that ...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast