Blog Comments

Sorry, but there are a lot more bells and whistles over there. Please follow the blog though, I need some love. Not a lot of followers yet. I am kinda lost in the crowd yet with something like 400,000 blogs compared to our 1,000 or so.
    Boo. Now I have to track the dang thing elsewhere. Boo!
    Thanks tmso.
    I love your new blog! Of course, I am biased. There's no reason why you couldn't post in both places. Except, there are some restrictions here (the n-word probably wouldn't fly).

The new blog looks great. The theme you chose is elegant and professional.
    That is one of the reasons I post what I post, but the idea behind this post is more to get people thinking. If they don't understand the full consequences of having SS taken away, they can't make informed decisions. Many of the middle class voters that support the Tea Party or republicans do not understand what they are voting for. The republicans want to do away with SS altogether. Well if you vote for that, fine, but you need to remember that you have been paying into all your life and would therefore get nothing for your money. I can guess that the republicans making said choice will tell you nothing about that.

They will tell you what a great victory it was, how you will not have to pay any longer, and smile, while they keep your money. Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily think the democrats are doing a great job, but many are less cold hearted. In my opinion, the democrats are just as much at fault for this governmental mess we have since they failed to take stands and in many cases are bought off just like the republicans currently licking JP Morgan's boots. However, I no longer think a person with a business background would be a good choice either.

I once thought of voting for Ross Perot, but now understand the mistake that would have been. One, businesses spend more time acting on the short term rather than the long term. Wall Street is an example of that policy taken too far. Two, some choices governments make can't be valued by a profit statement. Finally, I have been working in retail for 23 years and have seen a lot of poor decision making in a highly touted business. Sometimes, businesses become winners by having a higher average of good results over bad results, instead of brilliant management.
    Updated June 15th, 2012 at 07:14 PM by Gkarlives
    The best we can do is educate folks and get them to vote this fall. If we can get enough folks voting, then maybe we won't end up with a Republican or a Democrat. Wouldn't that be something?
    I don't have any numbers, I am just putting a question out there for the math and science people. Hoping to get someone interested enough to take a look. What I have is an educated guess that I think people should take a look at, but I don't have the personal discipline to do it myself. However, it is like CO2 emmissions from cars, sure each car contributes only a small part, but when you add up how many cars there are, bam, the numbers hit you. Now think of water tied up in millions then in billions.
    Rob - you're killing me.

Post the numbers!

--Brian.
    That is a possibility I thought of as well, but then I thought of Chaos theory and the drastic effects that can result from small changes. A butterfly flutters in China and Kansas get another tornado.
    Well, I think it is a little different from the seas, but a reasonable question to ask.

I'm not a geologist, but I do work with a lot of 'em. And I suspect they would say that relatively speaking, it matters not to the earth. The mantle is just way too thick for our puny few-mile-deep digs to make a difference to the world. However, that is not to say it doesn't make a huge difference locally.

But, that's just my uneducated guess. Any geologist out there?
    Should put a porcupine there instead.
    The flag is a picture of a segmented snake and the tag line is don't tread on me, in other words, the snake.
    They have a snake as a mascot? I didn't know.

That is interesting.
    Read the second series, which is better than the first. I recently reread the first series and the books did not match my memories. I will admit that I have not reread the second series in some time but I remember the struggle as much less Tolkeinish and more of a vein of its own. The third series has ups and downs but got much stronger by the end of "Against All Things Ending".
    I've always meant to pick up Donaldson's series. I read the first a long time ago, but it didn't push me to continue the series, though I do remember liking it.

I'll pick this up again sometime. Thanks for reminding me!
    I second that motion, your honor.

It is terrible, isn't it? The root cause of which is...our insatiable appetite for sex (or procreation). The fact is that human hormones and biology dictates that young (and old) folks will be interested in sex now and in the future. Hiding from that fact leads to unwanted pregnancies and horrible terminations. Today, we have a reasonable answer to that problem: contraceptives.

To me, it is like penicillin or aspirin. It is a basic medical and social advancement that makes living a whole lot easier and humane. I don't think contraceptives take away the need to live a moral life (how ever you define that), but it does alleviate the burden of our biology.

One thing that keeps running through my head: Why are we even discussing it? Surely we are all on the same page regarding this...aren't we?

Until a few weeks ago, I would have been shocked to know that we weren't. I am so naive.

I do hope folks see another way past this all.
    Did not know that. But I remember hearing that Saddam Hussein came to America and was toted around as a great guy and given the key to some city. If you think about it though, I am not suprised about Hitler because at first blush he did a lot of public works to rebuild Germany before the other stuff became very visible.
    You forgot to mention Adolf Hitler winning Time Magazine Man of the Year in 1939.
    Exactly.

I'm all for a personal god (or no god), but as soon as you call it religion - it is just another form of politics to me.
    At my core I still tend to beleive in God, it is looking at what the major religions are saying and doing that has me doubting what is in the bible. How much is God's work and how much is evil's influence on the men writing the bible? I was surprised to realize that the accepted canon of the bible was set down by a Roman Ceaser. What does that say?
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast