View RSS Feed

Hobbit

1. Reading in December 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    After really, really struggling with John Gwynne's Malice, a book I *really* wanted to like, I picked up a copy of Legacy of Honour by Elizabeth Moon. Though neither can be really judged as ground-breaking in originality, the difference between the two was stunning. Elizabeth's 'Surrender None' from the omnibus was detailed yet tightly plotted, entertaining and a joy to read: Malice was the opposite, stunning in its general blandness, predictability and bloated dialogue of meaningless portent.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Blog review

Just a heads up.

We've changed things at SFFWorld so that all Blog posts will be moderated before they are displayed.

This might mean a delay between you writing posts and them appearing on site.

In the mean time, we are also reviewing whether the Blog area of SFFWorld continues to be a viable option.

More as we update!

Mark
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Belated update

Have lapsed on the Blog recently: apologies. Been busy either with work or reading.

Currently reading David Wingrove's third Chung Kuo book for review. Great stuff: glad to be back. Complex plotting, good range of characters.

Review for this week will be Christopher Fowler's The Water Room, which I loved. Bryant and May are great. Surprised how much I love these books.

Onward!

Mark
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Reading in August 2012

Currently reading Peter Hamilton's Great North Road. 100 pages down, but about a thousand to go. Going to be a while....

Mark
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Soundtrack Radio

It's a Bank Holiday here in the UK: happy hols if you've got one!

Working away on 'stuff', I thought I'd pass on a little gem that I've discovered.

Music to work to, at the Starburst Magazine website.
    Podcasts of soundtrack music that are eclectic to say the least. Wiles away the time quite pleasantly, though. Click on each for a different podcast.

Not sure if this is accessible outside the UK, though. Please let me know if it is/is not.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. Alien: The Easter Edition

Somewhat appropriate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCq7...yer_embedded#!

Happy Easter everyone!

Mark
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. RIP Isaac Asimov

With thanks to Jamie Todd Rubin, he's reminded me that it was 20 years ago today that Isaac Asimov died.

So: I'm off to read some. I did enjoy my reread of The Caves of Steel, recently.

Think some Robot stories or some Foundation, for me!

RIP Isaac.

Mark
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Upcoming...

Had two nice things today: one was the return of some brilliant answers in an interview from Kim Newman, which included some exclusive news to SFFWorld, the second was a message saying that an interview I've done with Richard (K) Morgan will be in the next Fortean Times, due in the next week or so.

Very pleased with both, myself.

Am currently finishing my review of Kim's Bloody Red Baron, the second book in the Anno Dracula series, about to be re-released here in the ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Captain Scarlet: Movie Night!

I'm a Gerry Anderson fan. One of the things that caught my imagination as a VERY young thing was Stingray/Thunderbirds/Captain Scarlet.

So the following You Tube clip (not quite suitable for work!) made me laugh out loud.

Link: HERE.

Thanks, Stephen!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Shouldn't you give xxxx another chance?

I'm not complaining, but there's rarely time to go back and reread books at SFFWorld, unless it's a special occasion or I deliberately take time to do so.

I do try though, because as I've said before, I think looking at the past stuff is important.

Every now and then I pick up one at random, just to see if it is how I'm remembering it.

This weekend I picked up (by accident) Rama II by Arthur C. Clarke and Gentry Lee.

For the record, I ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Iron Sky

Nazis return from the Moon....

This really shouldn't work... REALLY... but watching the first few minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=uX2cS8wvQHI

and chucking logic totally out of the window... it might.

And Mark Kermode, legendary BBC reviewer has seen it and liked it...

so I am quite hopeful. Weirdly, I want it to work, though I'm not sure the Sarah Palin jokes will travel...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. Teacher suspended for using SF book

There are times when things in real life are just beyond comment.

http://www.aikenstandard.com/story/0...chool--3862406

I understand the book in question is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

As a teacher and a parent I find this quite unbelievable. Though I wouldn't say I always agree with OSC's personal views, and I accept the point that I perhaps don't know the full story of what happened here, I do find this difficult to accept in the ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. Nothing dates so fast as the future...

As much as I love 'new stuff' at SFFWorld, I think its important to read 'old stuff'. Not only because they're fun (and I love discovering/rediscovering authors) but because I don't think you get a full understanding of what's happening now without it.

Of course, it helps if you have access to the old stuff. I try and read (or in many cases reread after a number of years) the Gollancz SF Masterworks as they appear, which is where a lot of my recent reviews have been from.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Made me feel strangely happy....

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the Fantasy/SF/Horror genres have some of the best, friendliest and just nicest people any genre would be lucky enough to have.

This article proves it.

Turning an awful situation into something positive, however small.

Where else would you get such things happen?

Free, and often without publicity. These two mentioned are not the first, either.

Made me proud to be part of the genre, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Much ado and nothing...

Had the luxury of time off work this week.

Which is great, always appreciated, and usually means lots of reading(!)

Had a reread of Elizabeth Moon's Sheepfarmer's Daughter which was, in turns, both brilliant AND annoying, and finished a reread of Harlan Ellison's (TM) Dangerous Visions which was better in some cases and weirder than I remember it. Review to follow.

But it's been a weird one this week after that, where I've struggled to actually settle ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast