Blog Comments

So true, 2001 is still one of my favourite books of all time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Pandora
    Have to agree. Some of the best writers were writing a century ago or more. One of my favourites is Joseph Conrad, who wrote Heart of Darkness, which was later adapted to Apocalypse Now. For sheer beauty of prose I've never read anything like it.
    Thanks for the input, QP. I read Heart of Darkness after seeing Apocalypse Now in the 1980's. Edmond Hamilton is definitely not a lyrical stylist like Conrad, but his writing has an energy and an innocence I like. There's a lot of good stuff barely recognised these days. Lets add Malcolm Jameson and Randall Garrett to that list...

As for SF, I can't go past the living legend Ben Bova: a terrible stylist, but a great storyteller.
    Not the only author in Sf to be accused of that: Arthur C. Clarke, one of my favourites, has had similar mention. And yet I still love reading it.

Mark
    Have to agree. Some of the best writers were writing a century ago or more. One of my favourites is Joseph Conrad, who wrote Heart of Darkness, which was later adapted to Apocalypse Now. For sheer beauty of prose I've never read anything like it. As for SF, I can't go past the living legend Ben Bova: a terrible stylist, but a great storyteller.
    Thanks is all I can say.
    That was/is sweet. Thanks for sharing.
    That is fantastic. What an amazing thing for an author to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gkarlives
    Yeah, I know. It's like when you are hungry for something you can't quite think of and everything you eat just isn't it.
    LOL. Just that, Rob.

When I've found what I want, I'll be happy. Just not found it yet.

Mark
    Yeah, I know. It's like when you are hungry for something you can't quite think of and everything you eat just isn't it.
    Judas!

Actually, I have a good internet friend who just wrote a zombie story that I plan on reading. Guess there is no way around them.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmso
    Oh, yeah, I remember that one too. I'm just not into zombies, I'm afraid. Far too crude for me.

But, like I said, we Americans seem to love it. Have you see the trailer for Ozombie?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnrKmcf-vG8
    LOL. No, I hadn't.... but now I have!

Weirdly, I know exactly what you mean about zombies. I've even said so in my reviews! But here I am, having read and reviewed two lately, and enjoyed them. So there's hope for me yet!

Mark
    Oh, yeah, I remember that one too. I'm just not into zombies, I'm afraid. Far too crude for me.

But, like I said, we Americans seem to love it. Have you see the trailer for Ozombie?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnrKmcf-vG8
    Quote Originally Posted by tmso
    I've heard that phrase here and there (Lincoln, vampire hunter), but are you serious? There's a book? And now a movie
    LOL. The book was one that came after Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, written by the same author, I believe. Bit of a one trick pony, not really sustainable over a whole novel, IMO, but clearly what do I know? This movie's had a lot spent on it, judging by the trailer. And produced by Tim Burton.

On one hand, it looks great: on the other, I'm still not sure the idea works, but obviously somebody's willing to put money into it....

Mark
    I've heard that phrase here and there (Lincoln, vampire hunter), but are you serious? There's a book? And now a movie?

Yeah, we Yanks will eat this up and ask for MORE.
    Just a pup. I don't know 'em, but best wishes to your son.
    A Happy New Year; and thanks for sharing, noori
    good drawing yes
    Thx for the info
    I don't agree with all his reviews, but the presentation is pretty cool. I like it! Thanks for sharing.
    It looks so cozy. Just to house his collectibles? Man, I'd live there.
    I want one!!!!!!
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast