View RSS Feed

Uncategorized

Entries with no category

1. More reading...

Review for Lee Carroll's Black Swan Rising on the way. Fairly good Urban Fantasy.

Currently dipping into the Penzler Zombies collection (still!), the Guran Halloween collection for Halloween.

Been told that the Vandermeer Weird book is on the way... think that'll be my Halloween reading this year... and some really good answers in an interview due up next week about it.

Updated October 25th, 2011 at 07:17 PM by Hobbit

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Old Time Radio website

Nearly Halloween.... which I love. Both the history and the tradition. Always been a favourite in the Hobbit household.

And what often works well for me are the aetheric voices of radio. Site I've been using for years is the Old Time Radio website, which lets you listen to and download old radio shows.

The Halloween ones are always fun: some funny, some creepy. And they're offering free links today, so I thought I'd pass them on.

Hope you like them! ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. New covers..

I know that a change in cover style can be a real pain for readers, whilst publishers see it as a means of selling old books again (even when readers buy it, thinking it's a new book!)

Sometimes the new covers can be great, sometimes they're awful: it's all a question of personal taste, of course.

Must admit that my tastes often don't seem to match what is cool and current these days.

However here's one I'm pleased about: there a series of new Stephen ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Phillip Pullman blamed for the decline of civilisation...

... or at least keeping public libraries open here in England, at the expense of other services.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/b...vice-cuts.html

Defies comment, really.

Mark
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. More reading...

Still dipping into the Otto Penzler Zombies book mentioned last time, which is great, but also reading the reissued Jack Campbell's Stark's War

Solid military SF. Good page turner, pretty much as expected (so far).
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. The return of the living dead...

Reading Otto Penzler's collection Zombies! Zombies! Zombies! which might just change my mind about the walking dead.

Great for Halloween!

Mark
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  7. Quick Thank you...

Whilst feeling a little miserable about not being able to go to FantasyCon this year (first time in over six years!), I am at least cheered by the kindness of some fans.

Thank you, Mark Chitty, for sending me, without any thought of cost or return, a copy of The Kings of Eternity by Eric Brown.

Looks like a Wellsian scientific romance to me. Both Mark and RobB here at SFFWorld have ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. More reviews...

I am terrible at telling people about reviews on the way: I am trying to do better.

So: on the way are:

Captain Nemo by Kevin J. Anderson:

A great rip-roaring pulp type adventure, which mixes up lots of elements of Jules Verne's novels, and one I enjoyed much more than I thought I would. Made me want to read the original Jules ...

Updated September 28th, 2011 at 02:05 AM by Hobbit

Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Art books...

Thanks to Titan Books, I'm reviewing some art stuff!.

Today I've been reading Oeuvre by Drew Struzan, a name I didn't recognise (shame on me!) but whose art work I most definitely did, especially for Star Wars and Indiana Jones/Lucasfilm.

It's a nicely put together book, with a couple of minor niggles.

Official review soon!

Mark
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. Daily Science Fiction stories

I don't read as much short story stuff as I should/would like. However, I've realised that I've been reading a short story every day for just over a year now at Daily Science Fiction.com, who email me one a day.

It's a good site and the stories can be very good: just what you need in a coffee break.

So it's about time I passed the word on. Hope you enjoy them too!

Mark
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  11. Flash Gordon returns!!

Whilst I'm on about graphic art (and I'm currently reading the PS Publishing's revised work on Dan Dare's Frank Hampson) I've received news today that Titan Books are to republish Alex Raymond's original comic strips of Flash Gordon in March 2012.

Titan Books has announced the publication of The Complete Flash Gordon Library. Compiling every strip and every story, this series of restored full-color hardcover volumes will showcase the action and artistry that thrilled audiences for
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  12. A Celebration of Foss

I have been reading SF for nearly 40 years now. It can be hard to realise in these days when SF is seemingly everywhere and even part of the mundane furniture of our daily lives, that in the 1970ís UK SF books were fairly uncommon and their covers were often a weirdly abstract thing.

However it is without a doubt that had it not been for Chris Fossís covers I might not have been the fan I am now.

I also blame my Dad. Though we could not afford many books to buy (I was ...

Updated July 11th, 2011 at 07:40 PM by Hobbit

Categories
    Uncategorized
  13. RIP The Thing

Just heard of the death of James Arness, actor in TV Western series Gunsmoke, but to genre fans, 'The Thing' in the classic film 'The Thing from Another World'.

One of my classic faves.

RIP James.

Mark
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  14. Asimov on Libraries

http://www.boingboing.net/2011/06/03...l?dlvrit=36761

And

The Troy library is under threat of closure today.
    Sound familiar?

Mark
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  15. Trudi Canavan signing

Was lucky to go to a Trudi Canavan book signing last night. Well attended: about 100 or so people.

I love watching book signings. What impressed me most was the way that there were young and old, male and female. Some families had travelled from Birmingham to Nottingham for the experience, a distance of about 50 miles.

Some were buying new books, some had brought their collections to sign, some had pristine copies, others had well used and battered favourites.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast