Blog Comments

Crystal Singer and the Freedom series as well as a few Pern novels are on my book shelf. Very sad.
    I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the post.
    This is one of my favorites. I've this set to DVR so I don't miss a thing. Who would have thought of such a team-up as Mr. Spock and Lord Denethor? Brilliant, indeed.
    I believe toward the end, for me anyway, the stories became very formilaic and certain things were pushed far to much for my tastes. I will; however, deeply enjoy the earlier works still. I was a big fan of Crystal Singer and the Ship Who Sang. I kind of look at her work like I do Darrell K. Sweets. He was good for a long time, but then age, or life, caught up with him and the work went stale. I still remember his annivesary covers for the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings fondly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gkarlives
    Very beautiful sentiments and they are very close to my own. Thanks for posting this.
    ...and Thank you, Rob.

Though, reading this back, I have either overdosed on Pern or just outgrown them, Anne has fantastically loyal fans who clearly love whatever she has done. And that has to be applauded, in the same way that Twilight or Harry Potter or Star Wars has done.

There's a lot of readers out there whose first experience of SF/Fantasy was Pern, and it's great how many then stuck with the genre.

And for that we should be grateful.

Mark
    Very beautiful sentiments and they are very close to my own. Thanks for posting this.
    Hey - that is cool. I just may have to do that!
    Quote Originally Posted by tmso
    Don't you all have public transportation where you're from?
    Ah. Limited on a Sunday, and there were time issues both in getting there and getting youngest Hobbit home. Otherwise we would've!

Bummer about the parking incident, but at least it was a great concert.
    Yeah. Thank you though. Evidently this is a regular thing, so next time I'll happily pay. Guess that's a result!

Mark
    Don't you all have public transportation where you're from?

Bummer about the parking incident, but at least it was a great concert.
    Glad you had a good time. Sounds almost like a Transiberian Orchestra rock opera which I have seen. Good music and show.
    Amazing. Didn't know something like that existed. I think it's great that folks can still enjoy the shows today. I'll have to download a few and listen tonight.

Thanks.
    No problem, tmso! To be fair, some have dated quite badly, though I think it's fun hearing what people were sat around listening to 60 years or so ago.

Lights Out and Suspense are two of my favourites.

Mark
    Amazing. Didn't know something like that existed. I think it's great that folks can still enjoy the shows today. I'll have to download a few and listen tonight.

Thanks.
    I like the old one better. But that's just me. It jumps out at you. The one with the girl looks like it's catering to a younger reader - which means: not me.
    I don't have either and I don't much care for either. One's far too "Wicked" for me, the second one is.... well, it doesn't work for me.

I've got the way-old black title with, maybe, a house on the cover. Blue text. Maybe the one with the nosferatu style guy in the background. And I can't seem to find it online. It was back during the boxed set phase. It might be one like this -

http://www.esplatter.com/wallpapers/...ot1024x768.jpg

There are a lot of poor covers, including the "ghoulies" picture of a rakish hero version and some overblown "I am Legend" inspired vampire stuff.

Then there's the one that makes it look like a spin-off from All The Pretty Horses, which also doesn't work for me. That's not the right cover, really, but there's a lot of black and white stuff going on and they seem to concentrate on the new wave of werewolf books. Maybe it was bitten, or overbite, or something. Obviously I forget.

--Brian.

"One for the Road" is a great story, by the way.

The "new" one you're showing looks too much like the new wave of werewolf covers to me. Ravenous springs to mind.

Frostbite. I mean Frostbite. I know it doesn't make much sense, but it reminds me of that.
    Updated October 9th, 2011 at 07:15 PM by expatrie (correction / expansion.)
    See, I like both. The problem with covers constantly changing is it ruins your collection.

I have King books in the old NEL covers, a Gollancz one, the Hodder style above and one or two other styles. My collection looks a mess, because there's no consistency between them.

I do like the new ones, but I was perfectly fine with the old ones
    Might look into it at some point... but I'm a little over the whole vampire scene... Maybe zombies for me are more fun because of some of the ps3 games they're good for a laugh at any rate. Personally I write YA fantasy but I read most sf, fantasy, some mystery and horror...
    Looking forward to the reviews. The Wine of Angels looks interesting.
    Should be up in the next day or so, tmso.

I liked it. Not particularly deep but nicely creepy. Be interested to see if the English culture translates actually: not sure it will, but it is a good page-turner!

Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by MLSawyer
    Got to love a good zombie book.. or movie
    Hi, ML.

You know, that is my first point in the review I'm writing: I'm not really a zombie fan, on the horror scale of things.... but I do like this collection.

Generally I'm finding that Otto's edited books I like: The Vampire Archive was one I got last year and is also very, very good.

Mark
    Got to love a good zombie book.. or movie
    Looking forward to the reviews. The Wine of Angels looks interesting.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast