View RSS Feed

Triceratops

1. Planet Janitor--Custodian of the Stars hits the PRweb.

Engage Science Fiction Releases First Science Fiction Book, ĎPlanet Janitor: Custodian of the Starsí
    How will we clean up the Gulf of Mexico oil spill and space junk in the future? Chris Stevenson addresses these problems in his latest novel.
    ShareThis Email PDF Print .

.In the imagination department, few active writers can hold their own against Chris Stevenson. His mind goes places that the rest of us reach only in our dreams. I thoroughly enjoy his work. Vancouver, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. A Tornado of Work

Out of 450 agent queries, I received four solid contract offers, and one offer from a marginal agent. So I guess that brings the total to 4.5. I'm now with the Sara Camilla agency, and very happy about it. I went over my thriller Diane Nine and the Fusion Machine two more times and sent it to her. I should be on major submission at this time. The next up in line is Valley of the Mastodons, a true account of the Ice Age discoveries in Hemet, California. Then Dispossessed Incorporated, the ghost ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Have we seen the demise of the advance?

Have we seen the demise of the advance? I?m talking about all these print-on-demand companies (POD) that are masquerading as ?traditional? publishers. With the advent of POD, we?ve seen a proliferation of publishers hanging out their shingles, writing glowing mission statements, and proclaiming that they are bonafide royalty paying publishers. We?ve had about what, ten or more years of this? They often convey lofty ideals that appeal to the ?dreamers?, ?rejected?, ?hopeful? or newbie writers. Without ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Editing that novel

Editing, polishing, rewriting is brutal. Especially for me. No matter how many times I go over this script from page one, I'm always finding idiot mistakes and words that have been totally left out. This is my 7th and final pass, I hope--pray. Then it will be printed and off to my agent, who will no doubt put me right back on the editing train again. That's okay. I haven't splashed fresh ink on a new WIP in two months, and it's wearing on me. (Heh, I forgot that if it gets picked up by a ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Publishing fraud. Warning: Rant.

We have to go no futher than the three examples below to understand how single-minded and obscene the publishing industry can get, when all it has in its sights is gimmickry, fraud, hype and greed. These cases represent but a small fraction of what is taking place in the industry today. But It's irrefutable evidence that where there is no talent or celebrity status, you have only to create it, label it, ship it and cram it down the (unsuspecting) gullible throat of the populace. Though these ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  6. What's hot in genre fiction?

What's necessarily hot today in fiction might cool off in the next year or so. But for what it's worth, it sure looks like paranormal romance/thriller and urban fantasy is leading the pack right now, with no signs of slowing down. My agent, Uwe Stender, of TriadaUS has explained to me that about 70% of the editors he's met face to face and talked to, are younger women in their 20s and 30s. No surprise there. Who's their audience? Why women, of course, since the fair sex does the majority of ...
  7. What's happened to urban fantasy?

It used to be that urban fantasy was pretty pedestrian--harmless. I can fondly remember many of my favorite movies in the genre: Manikin, Click, Date with an Angel, Splash, Bewitched, The Stepford Wives, The Girl the Gold Watch and Everything, Wierd Science, Bedazzled, Damn Yankees and many more. It seems that fantasy has not only gone "dark" in the last decade, but now it's veering into territory once held by the horror novelists, including vamps and werewolves, demons and succubus. ...
    Tags: dark, gritty, horrific Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Author interview--chris stevenson

Questions for Chris Stevenson

First off, Chris, thanks for agreeing to do this. The 13 Questions interviews has rapidly become my favorite segment of this blog. Itís especially nice when I get to interview a friend who is having a measure of success. For those who donít know, Chris has recently sold three books to three separate small presses, almost at the same time. So at the moment heís drowning in edits, contract talks, and rewrites, never mind trying to write. So itís ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. Gate Walker gets a 5-Sun review at Aurora!

Friday, February 5, 2010
    Gate Walker by Chris Stevenson

Gate Walker by Chris Stevenson
    Publisher: Lyrical Press, Incorporated
    Genre: Action/Adventure, Contemporary, Paranormal, Sci-Fi/Fantasy
    Age Recommendation: 14+
    Length: Full Length (234 pgs)
    Rating: 5 suns
    Reviewed by Orchid

Donít drink and drive, especially when traveling the space-time continuum highway.

Avalon Labrador is convicted ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized