View RSS Feed

Rob Garbin's Blog

Thoughts I did not think much about at the time: Part II

Rate this Entry
The second "aha" moment happened for me during our second and final invasion of Iraq. Leading up to the war and eventual ground invasion, we were told about the danger Saddam's regime posed to the saftey of America. We were told that Iraq had large hidden stockpiles of chemical weapons and was actively seeking out nuclear weapons, statements that might have been true at one time.

However, by the second or third day of the invasion, it became clear to me that the compelling reasons for us attack Iraq were wrong. This was long before the truth eventually came out. Some important facts:

We had supported Saddam in the Iran/Iraq war because we were angry, partly rightly so, because of the recent hostage situation.

We treated Saddam as an honored ally at this time even though we had to know of some of the things he was doing to his people.

We also had to know of several instances where he ordered the use of chemical weapons on the Iranians and his own people. Yet, even though we were the "Policemen of World" as some love to say, we still supported him.

We sold weapons to Iran in order to obtain hostages from Beruit, which was a deviation from our claimed stance of not negotiating with terroists. This sent mixed signals to both sides and also fueled some of the hatred for America in that part of the world.

At the end of the first Gulf War, Saddam ordered the burning of all Kuwait's oil wells. Besides being a horrible thing to do, it was a vile form of ecological terrorism.

Thus, it was clear to me within a few days that Saddam did not have a currently viable chemical or nuclear attack capability. If he had, he would have used it on our troops. One, he had to understand that we were not stopping this time. Two, he has shown no compunction in the past about using such weapons. Three, he had no reason to trust any deal that would have been made given our past record in dealing with Iran and Iraq. Finally, he had past experience battling our troops, which would have told him how hopeless his situation was.

In other words, if he had had such weapons available, he would have used them. He was so desparate to survive that he live in a crumby hole in the end. What reason could he have for holding back when he knew that his life would be forfeit when he was captured.

Submit "Thoughts I did not think much about at the time: Part II" to Digg Submit "Thoughts I did not think much about at the time: Part II" to del.icio.us Submit "Thoughts I did not think much about at the time: Part II" to StumbleUpon Submit "Thoughts I did not think much about at the time: Part II" to Google Submit "Thoughts I did not think much about at the time: Part II" to Facebook

Updated September 11th, 2011 at 08:12 PM by Gkarlives

Tags: hypocrisy, spin, war, wmd's Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments