View RSS Feed

Rob Garbin's Blog

Another Thought

Rate this Entry
Many prominent religions vigorously campaign against any use of birth control for two reasons. One, they say that birth control promotes sexual promiscuity. Two, God told Adam and Eve to be fruitful and multiply. I have some questions for them.

1. If not using birth control cuts down on promiscuity, then why are there such large families within certain religions? If you have eighteen kids, it is not because you are practicing abstinence.

2. If God's words to Adam and Eve are your argument against birth control, then why are Priests and Nuns celibate? Does this not fly in the face of God's commandment? Does this artificial tradition not serve to divorce Preists and Nuns from a fuller understanding of the suffering of their congregation? Does this seperation not make them tone deaf to problems within their religion?

3. If abstinence and celibacy are the answer to sexual wandering for some religions, then why are so many Preists being charged with molestation? Why are gay sex rings turning up within church walls?

My main point to this thought is how, what people say they are zealously fighting for and what they are actually allowing to be, are very different. This goes back to an earlier post on Words and Actions. I trust actions more than words and words linked to actions above that. What I am seeing from these religions are words that do not follow their actions. Shame on them.

Submit "Another Thought" to Digg Submit "Another Thought" to del.icio.us Submit "Another Thought" to StumbleUpon Submit "Another Thought" to Google Submit "Another Thought" to Facebook

Comments

I agree. Which is why I can't abide religion - any of 'em.

I mean, we are all hypocrites, but to force your hypocrisy on everyone around you? No, thank you.

I hope we evolve someday into a species that walks its talk.
    At my core I still tend to beleive in God, it is looking at what the major religions are saying and doing that has me doubting what is in the bible. How much is God's work and how much is evil's influence on the men writing the bible? I was surprised to realize that the accepted canon of the bible was set down by a Roman Ceaser. What does that say?
    Exactly.

I'm all for a personal god (or no god), but as soon as you call it religion - it is just another form of politics to me.