View RSS Feed

N. E. White

I am not a ****.

Rate this Entry
The other day on my other blog, I posted about the Writer’s Digest pass give away for the 2012 San Francisco’s Writers Conference (this week!).

In order to qualify for the give away, one simply had to post about it at least two times on social networks. A blog is an acceptable social network. As is Twitter and Facebook. And that’s pretty much it.

They did mention if you didn’t have access to those social networks you could get your friends to Tweet or post to Facebook, and that would count.

But, I noticed that they conspicuously left out Google+, and any other social network I am not aware of. Is this the forefront of the battle for our precious internet time? Am I destined to be an outcast and disqualify myself for a free give away because I, egad, do not Tweet or plaster my personal crap on Facebook?

Frankly, if that is the case, so be it. If because I do not subscribe to those social networks I am unable to take part in some events, that’s okay. I’ll, surprisingly, survive. My life will be a dull, boring landscape without them, but, hell, it will be quiet and sane.

Because folks, there is such a thing as too much information.

I’ve tried Facebook. I used my pen name and not my real name, so technically, I had very few friends on that network. They were mostly class mates from a writing class I took. And while we had conversed like adults during the class, once I joined Facebook, I soon understood their true nature. Virtual cups of coffee were passed around for no clear reason. As were buttons and other nonsense that had nothing to do with…reality. Posts about their children galore. And then all the cat-fights…

The problem was…(confession time)…I liked it.

I got WAY into it. And I found myself reading endless posts about other people’s lives until one day I found myself reading about a hamster’s untimely death. And crying about it.

I quit when I realized that if I wanted to keep my life, I had to give up everyone else’s.

I’ve looked at Twitter and contemplated getting an account, but with all due respect folks, I do not like you that much. I don’t need to know when you are going to the dry cleaners. Nor what you had for dinner. But here’s the real reason I won’t get a Twitter account:

I can be a bit of a twa t (extra space to get around the forum's offensive word police ).

Yes, I know what that means. Funny (not) how a word that refers to a woman’s genitalia can also mean a foolish person…

Anyway, if I had a Twitter account any person stupid enough to follow me would get a stream that looked something like this:

• gorgeous sunrise! gonna be a great day!
  • ug, dog just launched himself through a barbed-wire fence
  • blood everywhere
  • quick breakfast: scrabbled tofu with fake sausages…maybe I eat too much soy bean
  • bike ride started out great! riding to work rocks!
  • got a flat after visiting the troll
  • honey bunny picked me up! made it to work on time
  • spent lunch getting tire fixed – $45 for a new tire!
  • they did a good job
  • go to Trek Bicycle Store in SR – they rock!
  • clouds coming in
  • oh, time to submit my story to fantasy faction
  • check out Fantasy-Faction.com – they rock!
  • homeless people getting to bed early on the bike path, expecting rain later
  • re-heat pumpkin curry for dinner, sooooo good
  • dog loves pumpkin, drooling on carpet again
  • saw the owls again tonight on evening walk – they rock!

You see? It would turn into a never-ending play-by-play of my life. Since I am not Madonna or Lady Gaga, somehow I doubt anyone would want to follow my twittered twats.

So, that’s my excuse for being a recluse. If you want to catch up with what I’m doing, sign up over on Wordpress or follow my Google+ page (N. E. White).

Write on.

Reprinted from N.E. White - delusions of grandeur

Submit "I am not a ****." to Digg Submit "I am not a ****." to del.icio.us Submit "I am not a ****." to StumbleUpon Submit "I am not a ****." to Google Submit "I am not a ****." to Facebook

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I do waste an inordinate amount of time on Facebook, but most of the people I follow are shameless self-promoters of bands I like or posting political info in which I am genuinely interested. I got rid of anyone who wants me to feed their sheep or any of the other crap. I basically use it to let people know I've got a new chapter of my "blovel" up (not that any of them read it). I'll look you up on Google+ and Wordpress (the "blovel" I'm writing over there). Good day, sir.
    Feed their sheep? It has been awhile since I've been on Facebook, it seems...

Glad to have you here and I look forward to getting to know you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZimmer23
    I do waste an inordinate amount of time on Facebook, but most of the people I follow are shameless self-promoters of bands I like or posting political info in which I am genuinely interested. I got rid of anyone who wants me to feed their sheep or any of the other crap. I basically use it to let people know I've got a new chapter of my "blovel" up (not that any of them read it). I'll look you up on Google+ and Wordpress (the "blovel" I'm writing over there). Good day, sir.

yes. i get the Bands, too. quite annoying. _ its just Spam, really. noori

I guess that was a little unclear. I don't mind band stuff as I'm a freelance music writer also. A lot of up and comers post free songs or even albums and I dig that. Hell, Trent Reznor gave his last ep, an NIN side project with his wife, away for free! I love not paying for music (I do usually review it, so I guess I sort of am) and I do not pirate. This post has been grammatically abysmal, but I've been writing most of the day and my brain is a little tired.