View RSS Feed

Triceratops

What's hot in genre fiction?

Rate this Entry
What's necessarily hot today in fiction might cool off in the next year or so. But for what it's worth, it sure looks like paranormal romance/thriller and urban fantasy is leading the pack right now, with no signs of slowing down. My agent, Uwe Stender, of TriadaUS has explained to me that about 70% of the editors he's met face to face and talked to, are younger women in their 20s and 30s. No surprise there. Who's their audience? Why women, of course, since the fair sex does the majority of book buying in this and other countries. Solution: write for the gals. I'll stick with this trend until somebody tells me that hard science fiction is making a come-back. And that's almost laugh-out-loud funny--sf's market share is incredibly miniscule--always has been--but now it's even worse. Fantasy has been out-selling sf titles roughly 4--1 for the past three decades. It's a no brainer. I'm switching gears and going into overdrive.

Submit "What's hot in genre fiction?" to Digg Submit "What's hot in genre fiction?" to del.icio.us Submit "What's hot in genre fiction?" to StumbleUpon Submit "What's hot in genre fiction?" to Google Submit "What's hot in genre fiction?" to Facebook

Comments