View RSS Feed

Rob Garbin's Blog

Nasa, get your head out of your...

Rate this Entry
I know I am going to piss people off here, but this needs be put out there. Many people are upset that the moon program has been shelved, but I say it was the right choice. First off, I love the exploration of space as much as anyone, but this is unfortunately the cost of our greed and gullibility. In the end, Wall Street is to blame for the loss of this program, not the president.

However, this is not the point of this post. My point is that instead of crying about what needed to be done, NASA could become part of the solution. If NASA would bend all of its resources toward finding a way to bring clean solar energy from space down to earth so that we can get off of oil, then maybe the situation would change. Maybe even make studies of how to transition the people who are now dependent on the oil industry into new jobs that won't damage our economy through sudden change. Maybe if they would focus on what we need right now, then they could free up tax dollars to get back to doing the exploration that is exciting later.

On a side note, whatever they work out, they should give it to the world, but not for free. The profits should be used to pay down the national debt and maybe some amount could go to exploration.

Submit "Nasa, get your head out of your..." to Digg Submit "Nasa, get your head out of your..." to del.icio.us Submit "Nasa, get your head out of your..." to StumbleUpon Submit "Nasa, get your head out of your..." to Google Submit "Nasa, get your head out of your..." to Facebook

Updated May 1st, 2010 at 07:55 AM by Gkarlives

Categories
Thoughts

Comments

Interesting idea...I suspect that there is a division at NASA that does just that: modified their research to on-the-ground applications. I wonder what the folks who have worked for NASA have to say about this idea. A pipe dream or a possibility?
    Actually, I saw a program where some scientists were testing if microwaves could make it through 62 miles of atmosphere to be collected to create energy transfered from space. But my suggestion goes well beyond that. I would like to see them work with other agencies to help plan for the shift in the economy.

You can't just come up with an abundant source of energy and not plan for the displaced workers, infrastruction, and use of the new energy (i.e. better electic cars).
    I think you're also missing out on the trillions of dollars in profits that the oil industry would lose, surely the single biggest factor in the future success of any clean, renewable energy source. Those companies know how to play dirty and no amount of appealing to the 'higher' good is going to stop the lobbying, kickbacks and money being thrown around.
    I don't forget the greed. Sad fact that it is, but they can make a choice to be part of this or continue as they are (most likely as they are). We as a country must decide if we want to take a stand against the tide of short term, all for me, all for now mentallity, or face seeing our country destroyed by the very people who tell us they care about our future.

I have said it before, pure capitalism is just as wrong headed as comunnism. Anybody that says otherwise is either naive or one of the rich bastards sucking the system dry. The track record of the rich is littered with scandal after scandal and the more freedom you give them only means bigger scandals. The latest one nearly brought the world to its knees and we are not out of the woods yet. Just look at the weight of Greece on the Euopean Union.
    ...pure capitalism is just as wrong headed as communism.
    I agree.
    (got to add more because it won't take less than 10 characters! )