View RSS Feed

Hobbit

Shouldn't you give xxxx another chance?

Rate this Entry
I'm not complaining, but there's rarely time to go back and reread books at SFFWorld, unless it's a special occasion or I deliberately take time to do so.

I do try though, because as I've said before, I think looking at the past stuff is important.

Every now and then I pick up one at random, just to see if it is how I'm remembering it.

This weekend I picked up (by accident) Rama II by Arthur C. Clarke and Gentry Lee.

For the record, I hated - HATED - it first time around, about 1990. I'd loved the original Rendezvous with Rama, but Rama II was so not like any Clarke I'd liked to that date: negative world view (whereas Clarke was usually positive) with characters, generally unpleasant, who had wandered out of Dallas or such like. It was slow, it was meanderingly flabby, it was BORING - something I'd never thought of Clarke as being.

So now, 20+ years later, I expected to be less impressed -I've read a lot since then!

But guess what? We have a Global Crash, based on the banking system, high unemployment, famine and misery as a result.

Whilst the characters are still stereotypical: attractive yet ruthless blonde reporter making her way up the social ladder, a cold unemotional scientist who is embarrassed by his wife and children, for example - there are still flashes of Clarke, both in its comments about the world and its humour.

I might be mellowing, but it might - MIGHT - be better than I remembered. I found I'd read 100 pages before I'd meant to.

So: is it worth giving the latter Rama books another chance?

And what else is worth a second go at?

Submit "Shouldn't you give xxxx another chance?" to Digg Submit "Shouldn't you give xxxx another chance?" to del.icio.us Submit "Shouldn't you give xxxx another chance?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Shouldn't you give xxxx another chance?" to Google Submit "Shouldn't you give xxxx another chance?" to Facebook

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Got to remember that your world view may have changed a lot in 20 years. Can seriously change how you see a book. i know my view of the original Covenant series has changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gkarlives
    Got to remember that your world view may have changed a lot in 20 years. Can seriously change how you see a book. i know my view of the original Covenant series has changed.
    Thanks Rob: yes, I'm finding that on some of the rereads, not that I didn't realise that already.

Covenant would probably be the same for me too.

This one was a shocker, though: perhaps I'm just mellowing with age!

Mark
    Different books and different authors are good at different stages of your life. When I was ten years old I was so intoxicated by The Lord of the Rings that I barely ate or slept until I had finished it. After seeing the movies a few years back, I tried to re-read it and found it heavy going. I made it through about 100 pages, but only after drinking a double espresso.

Ditto for Sven Hassel's WWII books: I loved them as a kid, but now he seems barely literate. Guess that's why Twilight's so big - kids can read anything and enjoy it.
    Thanks both.

Sven Hassel: now there's someone I haven't read for a long long time... Wheels of Steel or something??

Mark
    Wheels of Terror, SS General, OGPU Prison... Porta, Tiny, the Legionaire, Heide, the Old Man... these stories and characters have been burned so deeply into my consciousness that they almost feel like real memories.