View RSS Feed

N. E. White

No time like the present

Rate this Entry
to realize that I'll never be a writer.

Thought I'd revive this here blog of mine with some introspective thoughts. One that has been circling the brain over the weekend has been the above.

It's snowing at the moment (yes, it's May and I live in California and it is snowing) and that always gets me in a contemplative mood. Usually, I contemplate going for a ski. But this time of year, really, all I want to do is go for a run. The wet snow is not inviting.

So...I'll just sit here and think about other things. Like how I'll never finish my novel. It will never be good enough to publish. And I'll never get over wanting to do it. It's like some strange hell that I've fallen into and can't get out.

Ah, the snow...so pretty, quiet. Its transforming my world as I write.

Hhhmmm...I'm sure I can use this depressive mood for something...better go try to write.

Submit "No time like the present" to Digg Submit "No time like the present" to del.icio.us Submit "No time like the present" to StumbleUpon Submit "No time like the present" to Google Submit "No time like the present" to Facebook

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Seems to me there are two things to think about when you're writinga a novel or novelette or short story or a series of all the above.
    First: write the novel or novelette or short story or a series of all the above.
    Second: Worry about selling it.
    Reversing the order or merging the order always seems counter-productive.
    Ha, HE, always so pragmatic. It's still snowing outside and all I want is for it to be warm. About ready to head back to NZ but it's raining down there.

I'm not worried about selling it (though I do want it published and self-publishing is always on the table of options) so much as knowing when it is finished or rather knowing when I'm writing 'good'. You know what I mean? Good enough to publish?

Anyway, I wrote a nice action scene last night, and it made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
    What kind of action was that to make you all warm and snugly? The beheading of the three-headed green monster or the consumation of the interminal romance between the protagonists?
    Oh! You are sooooo bad.

No, just a small fight between the protag and two robbers. At first, I was thinking my protag would run away rather than fight, but he took over and beat the two rather easily.
    Simply by writing you're a writer. Professional writer, now that's something different Getting the stories out of your head should be the goal.
    Quote Originally Posted by kater
    Getting the stories out of your head should be the goal.
    Right! Sometimes, a good kick in the ass is all that one really needs.
    There's that action you were writing about displaying its efficacy yet again.
    How about writing about a writer who is thinking about quitting writing about a writer who is thinking of quitting... Mawa ha ha ha.....
    Quote Originally Posted by tmso
    Right! Sometimes, a good kick in the ass is all that one really needs.
    Depending on the size of the boot doing the kicking, I imagine
    Well, now that we've gotten into determining the size of the boot...I'm over the self-pity.

I know HE put in for both contests this month, and I know Rob is in Podland at the moment and too busy, but how about you Kater? Thinking of entering the contests this month?

I have ideas, but no words on paper yet...
    Self-doubt is part of being a writer. Anyone who doesn't, from time to time, wonder if what they're doing isn't a colossal waste of time and energy isn't doing it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Sprunk
    ... from time to time...
    Egads, man! You mean it doesn't go away.

I know, I know...just keep writing. I will...I am!

Thanks everyone.
    I'll probably make a last minute rush for the FF, not sure about the SS yet - apocalypses are so passe
    Last minute rushes are the best. Catch ya on the other side.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmso
    Egads, man! You mean it doesn't go away.
    Sadly, no
    Apocalypses? The short story contest is about apocalypses? Why didn't anyone tell me?