View RSS Feed

Rob Garbin's Blog

Where is the Metal?

Rate this Entry
Question for you scientific minded people, what effect does moving large amounts of metal ores from deep within the earth to concentrated areas on the surface (cities) have on the magnetism of the earth? I realize that the core carries most of the power for our system, but consider that the ores on the mantel have accumulated over millenia, while the bulk of the changes we have made have occured in only a few centuries and the quantities are staggering. Just something I feel no one has thought about like the effects of our insatiable hunger for seafood.

Submit "Where is the Metal?" to Digg Submit "Where is the Metal?" to del.icio.us Submit "Where is the Metal?" to StumbleUpon Submit "Where is the Metal?" to Google Submit "Where is the Metal?" to Facebook

Updated May 23rd, 2012 at 05:07 PM by Gkarlives

Categories
Thoughts

Comments

Well, I think it is a little different from the seas, but a reasonable question to ask.

I'm not a geologist, but I do work with a lot of 'em. And I suspect they would say that relatively speaking, it matters not to the earth. The mantle is just way too thick for our puny few-mile-deep digs to make a difference to the world. However, that is not to say it doesn't make a huge difference locally.

But, that's just my uneducated guess. Any geologist out there?
    That is a possibility I thought of as well, but then I thought of Chaos theory and the drastic effects that can result from small changes. A butterfly flutters in China and Kansas get another tornado.