View RSS Feed

SkyFitsJeff

Working on the second issue of a comic book

Rate this Entry

About a year ago I had finished the first issue of a four-issue comic book miniseries. I submitted it to a couple of comic book companies, and after they rejected it, I published it myself on the Amazon Kindle.

While working on the second issue, I decided the story would work better as an actual novel than a graphic novel, so I rewrote it as a novel and published it in both print and electronic formats as The Scientific Method (a Wandering Koala(TM) tale).

One year later and that first issue I published on the Kindle is still selling. I felt bad there was no promised second issue for those faithful readers, so I decided to write it.

Above are three pages from the comic. I still need to letter and color them, but I'm really happy with how it is turning out.

I still feel the entire story works better as a novel, but this particular issue ended up being one chapter and does work better as a comic book. So I'll publish it with a note at the end that the rest of the story can be read in the novel.

If this sells like the first issue, I may actually create a few more. We'll see.

Submit "Working on the second issue of a comic book" to Digg Submit "Working on the second issue of a comic book" to del.icio.us Submit "Working on the second issue of a comic book" to StumbleUpon Submit "Working on the second issue of a comic book" to Google Submit "Working on the second issue of a comic book" to Facebook

Comments

I'm not into comic books, but looks cool. Good luck!
    Good luck. I like the idea of publishing directly to kindle. That was cool.
    I also like your idea of publishing direct to Kindle and I am very much into comics. Though not an expert on art, yours does look very good.

It's a shame that it seems so difficult (almost impossible) to break into places like Marvel or DC comics. Either as a writer or as an artist.

Cheers
    Would you be willing to tell me about your experience publishing on Kindle. You could PM me if you don't want to discuss it here. I am thinking of publishing something there and want to find out what it is like. Cost, getting the work noticed (advertising?), copyright requirements, etc.