View RSS Feed

Dragon Musings

The Colony Chronicles-Pt.4-continued

Rate this Entry
“The first thing you need to know is that there are two kinds of planets, Techs and Arcanes. A Tech planet obviously embraces technology. Arcane planets primarily use arcanum, which is a type of energy that comes from the planet itself. Most planets have both, but the more of one that is used, the less the other is available. Arcanum interferes with technology working properly, and technology dampens the effects of arcanum. Eventually one wins out over the other, depending on the planet and its inhabitants. Gaia for instance is a Tech planet. Talent is the ability to access and use arcanum with the mind. The small amount of arcanum on Gaia that is accessible by those with Talent is negligible. Does that make sense?” Quentin asked. All three nodded. “Arcanum comes from deep with in the planets core, sort of like it's life blood. The closer it gets to the surface the weaker it is, but it is still very powerful. It permeates everything in nature, and those with Talent can tap into that energy and manipulate it. Since your blood is half Emeri, Sophie, it makes sense that your latent abilities started showing up right before your thirteenth birthday, and diminished just past your fourteenth. Normally, if a particular type of Talent is present in someone, it usually makes itself known a year or sometimes even two, before Prime, which is a persons thirteenth birthday. Sometime during your thirteenth year, not necessarily on your birthday, you go through what is called 'priming out'. This means your body begins to change, preparing you for adulthood. At 23, you are considered an adult. Questions, so far?” he asked.

“Only about a million. I can assume we are Emeri also?” Tasha asked.

“No, actually, you are Tallusian. But you are a close cousin genetic wise to the Emeri, and you share many of the same traits. Talent is almost as strong in Tallusians as in Emeri.” Quentin explained.

“Talent, arcanum, are you talking about magic?” Emily asked, wide eyed with curiosity.

“I suppose you could call it that, but I have never liked the word. For our purposes, you can think of it like that. It’s a bit more complicated but for now, it’s a close enough definition. Anything else?”

“Can we learn to use our 'Talent' now that we are adults?”

“It is possible to try, but Gaia is hoarding her arcanum for her own use. It is difficult for even those of us who are highly trained to use it. Most only try if it is urgent or a life threatening situation. Between the abundance of technology in everyday use, and pollution, arcanum is present in abundance on the surface in very few places. And this isn't one of them. The things that you caused to happen when you were younger did not require very much energy, plus, apparently Talent is very strong in all three of you. But with out proper training, it weakened until it simply went dormant.”

“OK, so we are magic wielding aliens. I could use some more coffee.” Tasha said with a humorous tone that brought smiles to everyone’s faces. She had an uneasy feeling Quentin was about to get into more serious territory with his explanations. Sophie had been glancing out the door every so often, looking at the small building out back. The murder of her mother had nearly broken Sophie’s spirit. No one but Tasha knew just how hard it had been for her the last 15 years. Emily was as close to Sophie as Tasha was, but her own problems had blinded her to Sophie's struggles. Tasha felt sure Sophie would bring up the subject of her mother next. “And maybe we could move to the living room where it is more comfortable?”

“Yes, please.” Emily concurred. “I maybe ‘healed’ but I am still very sore.”

Everyone followed Tasha into the living room and took seats. Emily went back to the sofa where she had slept the night before and Sophie joined her there. Both women tucked their legs up, and settled in as Tasha made herself comfortable in an overstuffed armchair. Quentin smiled, realizing the young women were preparing themselves for a lengthy conversation. He had been mildly surprised at the ease of which they had accepted everything he had told them so far. But things were going to get more unbelievable as he explained further. But he was committed now, to telling them everything, and when Alasdair got back, things would get even more complicated. Best to get the basics dealt with and out of the way. The future of his granddaughter and her friends was about to change drastically, and the more knowledge they had, the easier it would be for them. He had to tread lightly though, as his experience with his daughter had taught him a hard lesson. He locked eyes with Sophie and instantly knew what was on her mind.

“Tell me about my mother,” Sophie asked, then after a pause, “and my father.”

Submit "The Colony Chronicles-Pt.4-continued" to Digg Submit "The Colony Chronicles-Pt.4-continued" to del.icio.us Submit "The Colony Chronicles-Pt.4-continued" to StumbleUpon Submit "The Colony Chronicles-Pt.4-continued" to Google Submit "The Colony Chronicles-Pt.4-continued" to Facebook

Updated July 8th, 2010 at 12:27 PM by dragonangel517

Categories
The Colony Chronicles

Comments

Hey there, dragonangel.

I'm still enjoying the unveiling of your story. You surprised me with the fact that they are aliens from other planets. The portal in the very beginning lead me to believe that this would be more of a fantasy/parallell world situation.

For what it's worth when I was reading this paragraph I was thinking there was something a little off about the way Tasha is thinking about her friends. There is nothing wrong with it, it just reads a bit jerkily. Sort of like if you were switching viewpoints backk and forth in the same paragraph.

I'm assuming Tasha was just thinking about her friends, and you were just trying to show what was going on with them through her, but it does read a little rough. Just something to maybe keep in mind during revison.

OK, so we are magic wielding aliens. I could use some more coffee.” Tasha said with a humorous tone that brought smiles to everyone’s faces. She had an uneasy feeling Quentin was about to get into more serious territory with his explanations. Sophie had been glancing out the door every so often, looking at the small building out back. The murder of her mother had nearly broken Sophie’s spirit. No one but Tasha knew just how hard it had been for her the last 15 years. Emily was as close to Sophie as Tasha was, but her own problems had blinded her to Sophie's struggles. Tasha felt sure Sophie would bring up the subject of her mother next. “And maybe we could move to the living room where it is more comfortable?”

If you notice anything in my stories you think could be better, feel free to let me know too. I know I still have a long way to go until I get good.
    Thanks Creator. This is the kind of feedback I am looking for. I will do the same for you. After rereading, I see what you mean, and think I know how to fix it, but that is for the rewrite. Right now, I just want to get this section written so I can move on to the meat of the story, which takes place mainly on Tellus. I realized I have been writing Tallusians instead of Tellusians also,lol. Got to proof read better. Really enjoying Truth or Dream.