View RSS Feed

aiasminor

First Book Review

Rate this Entry

Code Name Atlas is a post-apocalyptic science fiction tale told by Tony Evans.

A war hero trying to leave his past behind finds himself using his skills to survive after the Earth is ravaged by unknown forces. In the midst of this destruction anarchy reins and he finds himself raising an army to fight a war against a tyranical leader who will do anything in his power to control the population and lands around him.

Eventually it becomes clear that this skirmish is but a small part in a war that has been raging for hundreds of years and the key to understanding why the earth was destroyed may lie in understanding this war.

Right from the very beginning Code Name Atlas grabs your attention and doesn't let up to the very end. A gritty and realistic feel blends with a minimal use of science fiction elements to create a rich, believable and contemporary story of one soldiers struggle to keep his family alive.

The characters in the book are both emotive and easy to relate to, the dialog is both crisp and easy flowing with the story told from a first person perspective. There is a great sense of a small cog in a much larger machine here, much like HG Well's classic War of the Worlds or the recent film Cloverfield where the story is essentially told from the trenches and the bigger picture is occasionally hinted at until nearly the end of the book.

The quality of the descriptive narrative here is superb and really brings the story to life and the pace is spot on. It's just so easy to get hooked into the plot and swept away on the journey. The underplayed use of technology works very well and manages to aid the suspense while keeping the story very grounded in reality and when the reasons behind the destruction of the planet become known at the end of the novel it's all the more poignant.

Code Name Atlas is a very accomplished, spirited novel of depth and intelligence that grips you in a vice like hold from beginning to end. Highly recommended.

Reviewed by Antony at SciFi and Fantasy Books

"Code Name: Atlas"
By: Tony Evans
ISBN 978-1-4535-2687-3
You can buy the book at Barnes and Noble and Amazon If you read it let me know what you think.

Submit "First Book Review" to Digg Submit "First Book Review" to del.icio.us Submit "First Book Review" to StumbleUpon Submit "First Book Review" to Google Submit "First Book Review" to Facebook

Updated February 16th, 2012 at 10:58 AM by aiasminor

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Well.

I have to agree that fantasy and sci-fi are being shelved together, but that's about where I draw the line. I don't really care for it, either, as a consumer, I consider the things to be separate and would appreciate them being shelved separately.

True that there are fantasy novels where "anything can happen" (Harry Potter springs to mind, as that world's magical system seems to have no practical limits. It would seem not knowing the proper words and practicing is the limit on even the direst curses, and a child could master them if they wanted to or had the master that would teach them), alternately, there's what I'd now name Hard Fantasy (Harry Dresden springs to mind) where there feels like a set of laws and systems worked out as to what exactly the limits of magic's ability is (call them magical physics, I suppose), and the world system evolves from there. Those wizards seem to eventually run out of gas, unlike in Harry Potter where you can throw death magic all day.

But I'm not being very fair, because all the HP I've read was the first book. Maybe there are limits, but there don't seem to be. And it also seems like any race can be a wizard in HP.

But I digress.

Similarly, there's soft SF. Less oriented to the rules and physics of things and more oriented to the social effects or the situations that arise. I write a fair bit of soft SF. Mostly I write it because I think a lot of what I come up with is borderline inevitable, and rather than waste story time on explaining how androids or robots exist, I move on. It's a question of focus. I'm not writing so people can check my calculations, and it's fairly tedious to do so anyway, and most readers don't seem to care, let alone the editors. (See the second story Daily Science Fiction sent out-- Mike and Shelly's)... the time dilation sure feels too severe for me.

Hard SF is something else. There's a focus on the technology and a lot of work on the writer's part to develop and build and create plausible explanations for the various technology. The sub-genre has it's merits, but even something 'hard' like The Forever War isn't all that hard when you look at it. The distances are real, the time-dilation, but there's not much focus on the thesis defense of the star ships and so on. Partly this is a result of the author's choice of a first-person narrator. Had a physicist been the narrator for The Forever War, it might have been a more technical book. Although, come to think of it, Mandela is a physicist. But given the time scale of the book, Mandela himself can't keep up and eventually the technology starts to sound like magic.