View RSS Feed

Paul Twigg

More Fi than Sci

Rate this Entry
This is quite a nice gaff and I cannot believe that it has been a week since joining this illustrious site, yet I have not posted or anything. So, here goes the first post.

Should anyone be interested in what I have to say or my writing or work, I guess it would be fair to say what I am interested in. I do like fantasy, but my main interest is Sci-Fi.

But here is the rub; rather than being a science bot, I prefer the fictional element to Sci -Fi. In fact, in many ways I would prefer to call myself a fam of Space -fantasy-fiction. I do find the pure science fiction genre as a whole a tad dry, but if any one can convince me otherwise I have open ears .

Anyway, I thought I would clear that up from the start, rather than having to get bogged down into one of those Sci vs Fi arguments.

All we need is a good imagination, interesting characters and a decent plot.

Submit "More Fi than Sci" to Digg Submit "More Fi than Sci" to del.icio.us Submit "More Fi than Sci" to StumbleUpon Submit "More Fi than Sci" to Google Submit "More Fi than Sci" to Facebook

Tags: fantasy, intro, sci-fi Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Paul - Welcome.

While I understand your preference clearly enough, I'm wondering, can you name a book that too much science and not enough characters?

I get the idea, really I do, but to me it sounds like "too much setting," (Tolkien springs to mind, but I malign him without really having read his work, I confess) but other than setting, what makes the difference between sci-fi, fantasy, and anything else? The characters I've read about tend to be reasonable fits in literary fiction, they just happen to be in a genre novel.

So the question might be better put as what books you felt had too much setting or weren't satisfying?

--Brian
    Brian, pretty much agree with you in this respect, that a decent sci fi book's characters could fit into fantasy and perhaps even a general fictional novel.

In respect to setting, it depends upon what the plot calls for and as a reader and a writer I like vivid descriptions of the world and characters that are being put in front of me.

I do not have a problem with hard core sci-fi ,as such, but I think that as a writer I would not want to dwell too much on the issues such as faster than light travel. If the science sounds plausible (even if it not in reality) then, that's good enough for me.

In regards to books I don't like,it depends upon my mood generally. Sometimes I am in the mood for a 1,000 page plus tome of a Peter F Hamilton novel, othertimes I am quite happy with something less demanding.

Paul