View RSS Feed

Spears&Buckler

The First Law and stuff

Rate this Entry
I just finished up Last Argument of Kings, Book 3 of Joe Abercrombie's brilliant The First Law trilogy. This was the best work I've read since R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing. I love-love-loved it! Like Bakker and Matthew Stover, I'll read everything that Abercrombie publishes. I'm looking forward to reading Best Served Cold and then The Heroes, but I'm pretty rigid with my reading schedule. I have a list of books I want to read that will take me well into 2012, and I haven't scheduled in those other Abercrombie books yet. I'm pretty weird that way, but more on that later.

For the most part, my favorite pieces of writing are very character-driven. Don't get me wrong, I love great world-building and magic systems and so forth. But it doesn't mean squat to me if I don't give two shits about the characters. Abercrombie's characters are unforgettable, loveable, hateable and hilarious all at the same time. The brutally violent Northman Logen Ninefingers; the crippled torturer Sand dan Glokta; the meddling magus Bayaz. All of these characters have done or are still doing some pretty awful things, but I still loved them anyway. The most enjoyable scenes in this trilogy were those that involved the ruthless killers from the North who used to travel with Logen. Full of action and the dialogue had me laughing all the while.

When I got to the end I was sad because I know the other two books by Mr. Abercrombie do not feature Glokta or Logen, so I can only hope that sometime soon we can see them again.

Great trilogy, one that I will read again and again.

I've moved on to Terry Goodkind's 5th Sword of Truth offering Soul of the Fire, and I'm really hoping that it's better than that piece of **** Temple of the Winds. So far, not so good. All I know is that this "chicken that is not a chicken" better turn out to be something big. Come on, dude! If I wanted to hear about chickens I'd listen to my son play with his extremely annoying Old Macdonald toy. If this book isn't any better than Temple, I may have to give up on the Sword of Truth.

Now back to my insanity. The following is my to-be-read list:

Soul of the Fire - Terry Goodkind
Cell - Stephen King
Disciple of the Dog - R. Scott Bakker
Faith of the Fallen Terry Goodkind
A Game of Thrones George RR Martin
The Pillars of Creation Terry Goodkind
Changes Jim Butcher
Naked Empire Terry Goodkind
Tongues of Serpents Naomi Novik
Republic of Thieves Scott Lynch
Chainfire Terry Goodkind
Dracula Bram Stoker
Winterbirth Brian Ruckley
Phantom Terry Goodkind
The Passage Justin Cronin
Side Jobs Jim Butcher
Confessor Terry Goodkind
Ghost Story Jim Butcher

To be scheduled:

Best Served Cold - Abercrombie
The Heroes Abercrombie
The White Luck Warrior Bakker
The Law of Nines Goodkind
The Omen Machine Goodkind
The Lord of the Rings reread JRR Tolkien
The Silmarillion reread - Tolkien
Farseer Trilogy reread Robin Hobb
God of War Matthew Woodring Stover

I know, right? I've got issues. But if Soul of the Fire sucks as hard as I think it might, it will free up some time for other books because all of those Goodkind books on that list will be outta there.

Submit "The First Law and stuff" to Digg Submit "The First Law and stuff" to del.icio.us Submit "The First Law and stuff" to StumbleUpon Submit "The First Law and stuff" to Google Submit "The First Law and stuff" to Facebook

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Move George to the top and Hobb.
    I'm going to try something new with George. I've never read A Song of Ice and Fire before, and I think it will be cool to read it while the show is airing. I'm going to start A Game of Thrones a week or two before it premieres on HBO.