Catching up to the horse
by, January 6th, 2011 at 01:48 PM (809 Views)
The writing didn't go all that well last year, no published credits to add to the two from late in the previous year and although I wrote a lot of words it was spread thin enough to not really seem that much. It wasn't nothing either though
So I am beginning this year playing catch-up in some respects. I've bogged myself down in the same old pages, rewriting and fiddling in the hope I will eventually break new ground. That must change this year, which means finishing pieces, getting artists to at least consider working with me and getting some more credits on my CV.
To prove to myself, and anyone foolish enough to be reading this ramble, I am attempting to do the above, the latest episode from my hope-to-soon-get-drawn webcomic. File it under completed
Trials of Abner Maris v1 Ė Looking In
Log Summary: Conversation in an airlock, Steven in suit, Abner just sitting on the edge, door open like itís his front porch. The airlock has always been a place of refuge for Abner.
Summary: Steven tracking down Abner
1. Splash page. In one of the smaller airlocks, the door to space is open. Steven to the left of the shot in a compact, pressurised spacesuit walking towards Abner who is sitting on the right hand side of the airlock on the very lip, his back to us and legs dangling into space.
Summary: Playing out a regular scene in their relationship
1. Steven coming level with where Abner is sitting.
Steven: Thought Iíd find you out here.
Abner: Itís the only safe place.
2. Steven awkwardly starting to sit down to Abner's left, who continues to stare out into space.
Steven: You still let them get to you.
Abner: Choice would be a wonderful thing wouldnít it?
3. Steven now fully seated
Steven: Sometimes I wonder why you donít just dive out an airlock and keep on going.
Page 3 [Panel 2 to be a big panel please]
Summary: Abner scarred by his first forays into space.
1. Abner with a wry smile.
Abner: Re-entry is a bitch..
2. Want to try something different here. I want a past memory overlayed with a profile shot from the present. The conversation making Abner remember his early, painful trips into space.
So in the foreground on the very left hand side of the panel a profile shot of Abner in the present looking troubled. In the background and to the right of the panel a younger Abner, early teenager, in space shaking violently and hugging himself. I'd like to differentiate the two through colour, with the memory sort of greyed out or in sepia tones.
Abner: Plus, you know, the constant pain.
Summary: The divide between Abner and Steven.
1. Steven getting starry eyed whilst Abner still dwells on the pain.
Steven: Iím sorry, I just get so caught up in the glory that Ö
Abner: You created.
Steven: No, no, that you get to experience.
2. Abner standing up, looking down on Steven.
Abner: Iíd give it to you if I could Steven.
But then itís not something Iíd wish on my worst enemy.
Summary: Abner ending the conversation the one way Steven won't follow.
1. Splash page. Abner jumps out the airlock.
© Owen Jones 2010