His time spent in the the Maer's manse I already was enjoying less than his general University hijinks, but it was still passably fine. The entire Felurian episode though was just too far gone. I at first assumed it was a dream or vision of some sort that would soon end, and when it didn't I thought well surely it will at least be a quick jaunt in the land of the Fae. That it continued to last for chapters on end just destroyed my goodwill for the book.
I didn't particularly mind the Adem bit as much, though it was a bit rote. Felurian however I just can't get over. That section moved Wise Man's Fear from my clear favorite of the year to just a passably good novel. Which, as silvercue mentioned, is a shame as I absolutely loved TNotW.
- November 18th, 2011, 05:06 PMsilvercue
I am trying to blot it out, but it will obviosuly hold significance later.
- November 19th, 2011, 06:24 PMTwinnerI will still read the third in the KKC, but it will be because I loved NoTW. I will read it because of NoTW and in spite of WMF which was quite a disappointment.
- November 21st, 2011, 10:09 AM57specialRexnes,
Late to the party, but love your ideas about Denna. She strikes me as the one character in the book who's demise or betrayal would totally undo Kvothe, and an undone Kvothe is what we are shown in the present time.
Is Denna dead? Did she betray Kvothe? Shot in the dark here, but her talents do seem to be otherworldly... is she one of the Seven?
- November 22nd, 2011, 01:52 AMOzziespur
- November 22nd, 2011, 11:21 AM57specialgood point. The patron is probably one of the Seven too, I think.
Would be kind of strange if they beat one another!
- March 7th, 2012, 04:20 PMArtNJKing Killer Chronicles: Book 2I am sure I am probably literally the only one who waited the massive amount of time necessary for a price drop, but it finally happened. With the advent of a paperback, the Kindle price dropped to $9.99.
Woot, $5 saved, and it only took me approximately 365 days to save that.
- March 7th, 2012, 05:19 PMTwinnerI wish I had only paid 9.99 for WMF.
On the other hand, NotW was one I enjoyed so much that it ended up being worth more than I paid for it. So, I figure I am about even now. :)
- March 7th, 2012, 05:38 PMKazz WyldeOnly 19 bucks at B&N for the TPB. :eek:
- March 7th, 2012, 05:54 PMPaul the HumanA friend of mine is lending me his hardcover copy. I, too, was waiting for the nook price to drop, but I can't pass up reading the hardcover!
- March 7th, 2012, 06:40 PMKazz Wylde
- March 16th, 2012, 10:42 AMArtNJI enjoyed the book a lot more than I thought I would from all the negativity. I thought the drop of to this book was much less than the drop of in GRRM's books to books 4 and 5.
Yes, the segment that everyone points to is surprisingly incoherent and weak, but I thought the rest of the book was basically of the same quality as book 1. Its not like book 1 had this incredible plot or incredible action, what it mostly had was very good writing with a merely good story, a merely modest dose of action, and a likeable protagonist. None of that has changed for me (well, ok, maybe I'm getting a tad sick of the romance..."clueless romance" does get a bit thin after a while and I dont know that it works well as a core foundation for a series). Still, I really enjoyed it, and am sorry I waited so long.
- March 17th, 2012, 10:43 PMTooNicehonestly I liked the Felurian chapter
- March 17th, 2012, 11:26 PMDanogzillaI thought WMF was surprisingly consistent in tone and quality with NoTW. There were a couple sections in the second half that dragged a bit, but when I was done I was still looking for more.
- November 14th, 2012, 04:43 PMwalkabouthere is my theory,
I bet master Ash is cinder as well but on my second reading of TWMF I noticed this passage from Shehyn: "But at this time they were themselves, the women and men fair and strong. They sang songs of power and fought as well as Ademre do."
what caught my attention was this she spoke of the people who sang and fought at the same time, they fought as well as the Ademre and sang. this tells me two things Kvothe will have to learn to fight and sing while he fights the the chandrian. This looks to be his best option to killing cinder. This also says songs have power as well as names, something to think about!