Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It's one of my favorites of this year, along with The Warrior-Prophet by Scott Bakker
    Not including everything I have read this year but in regards to what to novels that were published this year that I have read for me it's grouped on a tier just below Kazrou Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go whcih I found to be brilliant, and thus far is the best book published this year I have read, and perhaps also Su Tong's My Life as Emperor. That is no slight however, those 2 reads were terific.
    Last edited by Ainulindale; April 23rd, 2005 at 07:26 AM.

I haven't really read much else that came out this year-- so RotS is certainly the best of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammie
    So guys, if I wait and watch the film first (this is my instinct), will I spoil the book.....???

(And Shz.....I can't believe you put all those spoilers in!!!!!! *shocked* )
    Its a matter of choice really-- the book is less visual than I expect the movie to be, but it shows a side of Anakin the movie will be hard-pressed to show by taking us inside his thoughts and feelings.

I couldnt wait: it's a new Stover book. How could I not read it within a week of release?

Leisure time optimizer Moderator Nimea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spears&Buckler
    It all comes down to what you enjoy doing more: Seeing a movie or reading a book.

Me, I'm a reader.
    Me, I am a reader too. But me, I am a movie fan as well.

Hmm.

Well, maybe it is more a question of: are you a Star Wars movie fan or a Stover fan?

Me, I am more for George Lucas' creation and the visual in this case than for the novelization. But I am very much looking forward to reading the book after having watched the movie.

A question besides: did the other two novelizations (of Ep. 1 and 2) get released before the movie too? I can't remember.
    I was a bit surprised by this early release because of the "spoilers" but then again it might be selling even better before the movie release and it's also advertising for the movie . . .

Back to the choice: if a movie is based on a book I prefer reading the book first. If there is a novelization (that is written by a good author and thus promising) after the movie I prefer to have the visual experience first (which was also the intended medium in that case) and than to read the book to go through the story again on another level and deepen the experience.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimea
    Me, I am a reader too. But me, I am a movie fan as well.
    Well, to each his (or her) own. I enjoy reading a book more than seeing a movie.

And thanks for the mockery. Feels good....

Quote Originally Posted by Spears&Buckler
    And thanks for the mockery. Feels good....
    Since it feels good I would like to say 'You are welcome' but since I did not intend to mock you I am at a loss...

This now sounds like mockery, sorry for that.

A question besides: did the other two novelizations (of Ep. 1 and 2) get released before the movie too? I can't remember.
    I was a bit surprised by this early release because of the "spoilers" but then again it might be selling even better before the movie release and it's also advertising for the movie . . .
    Yes, they were released prior to the release of the films. I think i this case it's a smart marketing decison. If I wasn't a big reader, I wouldn't buy the book after I saw the movie. However, releasing the book first Starwars fans can't resist to run home and read it to jump online with their spoilers and brimming with percieved insight

Thanks, Ainulindale. And yes, that's what I think to be a smart a marketing decision as well.
    Ususally I am a spoiler queen, but this time I am waiting for the movie - so this marketing 'only' made me get the book as soon as it was released. But well, that means one more time that the plan succeeded.

The other thing is that RotS has far fewer spoilers than any other movie in the series: as I alluded to in my review, we already know the major plot points, it is a matter of experiencing Anakin's descent to the dark side, whether visually in the movie, or by seeing his motivations and feelings as shown to us by Stover.

I think for me the 'Stover-fan' vs 'Lucas-fan' issue has a flip side.... See I'm worried that I'll spoil the book by watching the film first (hence seeking the opinion of those of you that couldn't wait ) but.......I am currently more worried about spoiling the movie by reading the book first. Cos Stover is a heck of a lot for Lucas to live up to. And cos the book can expand on the movie, but I suspect the reverse is not true. I guess I'm hoping that by seeing the movie first, the movie will be fresh and new......and then the book will have lost that shine...but who cares? It's Stover!

This is my tentative theory.

I'm worried that I'm spending too much time worrying about this

Search your feelings, Sammie, you know it to be true...

You want me to use my instincts?

Whatever, read it first or don't, I'm just glad to see you posting again! lol

I'll probably read it after seeing the movie myself, then see the movie again.

Oooh.....intriguing (sp??!!). I like the idea of seeing the movie twice....

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    On a side note, nice to walk into my local (and only) Ottakers here on my island to find a whole table dedicated to Matt Stover's Sith Novel... shame the Caine books are missing though... although Shatterpoint was there too.