Hybrid View

GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar

Announcements and Upcoming Events

On Monday evening, May 9 at 8:00 pm I will be appearing at Long Island's largest independent bookstore, Book Revue, on New York Avenue in Huntington, NY. I will be answering questions and then signing books. The event is open to the public. If you are in the area and you would like to attend feel free to PM me for directions.
    Last edited by Gary Wassner; April 8th, 2005 at 08:14 AM.

I will be on vacation (yes, VACATION) until 4/27. I didn't say that I will be out of touch, but I will be out of the country. Where I am going, I can log on each day but not really for long enough to do much but browse what's going on. Maus is going to keep an eye on this volatile forum for me in my absence, so make sure you give him a really hard time!
    Last edited by Gary Wassner; April 22nd, 2005 at 01:20 PM.

Sad to say, I'm back. Business as usual.

Where have I been? Moderator JRMurdock's Avatar
    and glad to have you back we are.

So my event last night at Book Revue went very well. There were about 70 people in attendance, which made me feel quite good. I read two poems, spoke about Epic Fantasy in general for a few minutes, then about my books for a short while, and finally I answered questions. Answering the questions was the most interesting part.

The store sold on or about 65 books by the end of the evening, and I signed them all.
    Last edited by Gary Wassner; May 10th, 2005 at 06:01 PM.

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    That is awesome news, Gary, you deserve it.

Would you mind elaborating on some of the questions you were asked, who turned up and if the store was happy with the results? Do they have other stores across the country, do you have any other signings planned?

Wow!

Wow, what a thrill!

I walked into a large Barnes and Noble store this morning looking for Erikson's Gardens of the Moon. They didn't have it there, so I started to browse the fantasy section, which was kind of large. I got to the 'v's in search of Vandermeer, and right in front of me, eye level on the shelf, were all three books in my own series! I didn't even know they had bought them and it was really a thrill! All this time I have been complaining that they aren't kind to small press titles. They had four copies of each book in the series that was released two months ago and they even set them up in the middle of the shelf to display the covers instead of just the spines.

What a great feeling, and totally unexpected. Now I hope some people go in and buy them.

That's just great! You're moving up in the world! I have the feeling (if you're not already) that you'll be making a weekly jaunt to the B-n-N to check that same shelf.

Did you see any other Windstorm titles out there?

I'll have to make it a point to check out my local stores and give you a reoprt.

The Windstorm logo is pretty easy to spot on the spine of the book. Unfortunately, I didn't see any others. But they don't really publish much in the way of fantasy. Kevin and I and a few others, but I don't know if the others are titles anyone has heard of here.

It was a real nice surprise. If they are not on the shelf at your B & N, maybe you want to ask them why?????

A Really Big Deal!

It's Sunday evening and I was sitting with my son in the backyard having some sushi and watching the birds with our bird binoculars. It was about 7:30 and the air was beautiful, the birds were feeding and singing and life was good. We had just spent the afternoon getting all the feeders ready and filled, cutting flowers, pruning bushes, planting all the summer flowers and plants, hanging new bird houses, and generally enjoying each other's company and nature. The phone rang.

My publicist called to tell me that Barnes and Noble's small press buyer had just contacted her by mail (she was at a book convention all weekend and hadn't opened her mail) and informed her that after reading my first book, The Twins, they have decided to carry my books in their stores!!!! They are placing an order now and putting the first book in 100 stores. If they do well, they will purchase the other two.

What a nice evening.

Now that's something to crow about!

SO when is the film coming out? or the graphic novel?

Oh, and about signed copies, can't we just mail you our copies (and include return shipping)?

Or can we just track you down at the next big con in town?

BTW, The San Diego Comic con is in town this month. Anyone stopping by? I'll make it a point to meet up with anyone who'll be in town.

J.R.

Gary, great news and much deserved.

Any idea where the stores are located?

Not a clue. They just placed the order so the books haven't even been shipped yet. If I can find out, I will let you know. But, since they buy from distributors, Ingram and Baker and Taylor, it's unlikely that I will ever know where they ship them to. They know their demographics and which stores have significant fantasy readershipts though.

Well, there are about 3 or 4 BNs near me or on my usual driving routes, I'll keep checking and asking at the stores as I have been.