Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    that is an interesting observation.

it's not meaningless.

i've never written a book (nor will i), but i imagine it's something like giving birth to a baby. what if something is wrong with the baby? how do you know if you're being a good parent? what kind of person will your baby grow up to be? endless questions, anxiety, and worry. beauty and pain at every step.

i try to be as patient as i am selfish.

GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar

A Long, hard journey

It was a long, hard journey to the shelves of Barnes and Noble, but by the end of March, 2008, all four of the GemQuest books, The Twins, The Awakening, The Shards and the newest in the series released in September, The Revenge of the Elves, will be in the stores.

Now comes the hard part! I need all my readers and all of those interested in learning about my books to go into their local Barnes and Noble stores and ask about them!!

If they sell, then they'll stay on the shelves. So open your hearts my friends, (and your wallets if you can!) and go to your local B & N and inquire about GemQuest.

Well, I need a copy of Revenge anyway.

My publisher told me today that most of the books shipped to Ingram. That means that Barnes and Noble will have them in a matter of days.

Seems like forever. I'm waiting for the day when I can finally walk into one of the stores and actually see them on the shelves.

I'm out of the country until the 14th, so my posts might be sporadic until then. Bear with me and carry on in my absence. I'm counting on some of you to keep the discussions lively!!!

I'm back. And GemQuest is FINALLY on the shelves at Barnes and Noble!!!!

Please go ask for it, if you have the chance or the inclination.

I don't know how many stores have it at this point, but I do know that it's in at least five stores in NYC alone!

Whew! That wasn't easy....but it was worth it.

While I was on vacation someone emailed me a photograph of the whole series on a shelf at the Lincoln Center Barnes and Noble on the upper west side of Manhattan.

Thanks, BTW!!

Where have I been? Moderator JRMurdock's Avatar
    Did you take pics of the books on the shelves?

Haven't even seen them yet myself. I have to take a walk over to one of the stores and take a look.

Good news, my friends. My books are selling very well at Barnes and Noble. They've reordered a number of times already and according to some of the bigger store managers, 'they've become very popular'!!

I've yet to hear from anyone here that they actually went into a B & N and saw them or inquired about them. I'd love to hear that.

I've stopped into a few locations myself to authograph their stock and they've been very excited about the series.

This is gratifying, particularly since it was so hard to get them to pick up a series published by a small press.

Congrats, my friend. It is indeed a big accomplishment, done I'm sure through your own hard work to get it done. Yes, your books are in my local B & N, two copies each of Books 1 - 3. As your name starts with W, of course they're down on a lower shelf; but they're there, and that's the important thing.

I thought I'd mentioned it before, Gary, but maybe I hadn't. Every time I go in my local B&N (which isn't terribly often these days) I pop back to the Ws and they have at least one copy of each book, sometimes several. This has been the case for quite a while now. This is in central NC. I'm glad to hear they're doing well.

Thanks guys! Good to hear. I appreciate it.

Where have I been? Moderator JRMurdock's Avatar
    awesome news Gary! Much deserved.

Blog Entries
    Crikey, they're even available in Canada

Am New York

A very funny anecdote:

There's a daily newspaper distributed in NYC called am New York. Today's issue featured me in an article titled Fashion to Fantasy with a very large picture of me. Under the title is a one liner - Lord of the Rings led him to novels.

Well, it's fashion week in NYC and I was at Bryant Park for a show (wearing my other hat). One of the black clad girls seating all the people before the show comes up to me with the article and says, 'Oh my God! Did you write Lord of the Rings?'