Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    Harumph! Phenomenom must only apply to people with their own threads.

Remind me to place the order direct with your publisher the next time, okay? Got a message from Amazon this morning stating Part I might possibly ship sometime between Aug 25 and Aug 30. Part II, on the other hand, is now projected to ship maybe around Sep 20 but that is a buying-time stall as it is the same message they gave me for Alison's Riddle and they must receive that from the other side of the world.

Amazon seems to be totally messed up... As I'm sure you've noted, they are showing three of Part 1 in stock and one of Part 2, with 24 hour shipping... Sigh...

Tell you what, HE; how about you cancel that Amazon order and I will send you Kotaishi Part 1 and Part 2 directly? And I'll sign them too. PM me with shipping info if you'd like to do that.

And I'll pass your note along to the publisher, just to see if they can rattle Amazon's cage a little bit. They keep telling me that Amazon has plenty of stock (if three and one copies respectively can be called "plenty of stock"), so it makes no sense that they can't get the books out the door...

Done although it took two PMs as someone I am acquainted with has very fat fingers.

On their way!

I got volume one. How could you kill the guard?!

Quote Originally Posted by KatG
    I got volume one. How could you kill the guard?!
    Why, were you especially attached to him?

At least I didn't give him a red shirt.

It's not nice to make the reader attached to a minor character in a few paragraphs and then kill him off, no. I probably should put this in a different thread, as it isn't exactly news, is it.

Well, nobody said Tonogato was going to be a nice, quiet place (at least for some folks...). But it did get your attention, as opening scenes are intended to do...

Taoism? Seems to me the garden is more Shinto than Dao.

Pleased to report completion of Part I. Also pleased to report am enjoying story immensely and appreciate the unexpected turns the tale takes. Since a certain female character has a bunch of information no other character has access to, I'm hoping she is not killed off early in Part II. I'll not forgive you for that, sir.

You fibbed, of course, claiming your sense of humor did not percolate into the story. Who else would turn a medicinal balm into an aphrodisiac?

Largest question: why two volumes? Was that your concept or a publishing decision? If it was yours, what drove your thinking? I seem to recall that LotR became three volumes as a publishing decision because of its length which may have made sense at the time. It certainly set the stage for a plethora of trilogies thereafter. But, what drove your story into two parts?

Quote Originally Posted by Hereford Eye
    Taoism? Seems to me the garden is more Shinto than Dao.

Pleased to report completion of Part I. Also pleased to report am enjoying story immensely and appreciate the unexpected turns the tale takes. Since a certain female character has a bunch of information no other character has access to, I'm hoping she is not killed off early in Part II. I'll not forgive you for that, sir.

You fibbed, of course, claiming your sense of humor did not percolate into the story. Who else would turn a medicinal balm into an aphrodisiac?

Largest question: why two volumes? Was that your concept or a publishing decision? If it was yours, what drove your thinking? I seem to recall that LotR became three volumes as a publishing decision because of its length which may have made sense at the time. It certainly set the stage for a plethora of trilogies thereafter. But, what drove your story into two parts?
    I too am pleased that you are pleased.

Having just completed a panel at a con that was basically about what would happen to authors if the characters they created could talk back to them, it has put an interesting spin on the demise of said characters. Namely, that one should not listen too much to the little voices in one's head... Of course, I converse with mine all the time...

And wouldn't we all like to have a medicinal balm that was also an aphrodisiac?

The two volumes was strictly a publisher decision. At the time they published Kotaishi, they were printing their books in-house and their bindery equipment could not handle a book of that size. Rather than try to whack huge chunks out of the book, they suggested the two-part format and I agreed. It has caused some marketplace confusion, but I felt keeping the story intact was preferable to trying to shoe-horn it into a considerably smaller book.

Subsequently Windstorm switched to an outside, off-set press and the size limitation was no longer an issue. However, as they had already released the book in two parts, each with their own ISBN, they felt it better to continue that way. When Sabakushi came out, we both agreed that having the first book in two parts, but making the sequel into one big fat book, would look very strange on a bookstore shelf, so we split Sabakushi into two parts as well. Knowing that would probably be the case, I actually was able to plan for the split in Sabakushi in my outline, so that book actually splits a little closer to the middle than Kotaishi. With the latter I had to find a reasonable cliffhanger spot to end Part 1, and was able to do so with only a minimum of re-writing (I pretty much only needed to take a piece of Chapter 13 and insert it into Chapter 12).

I hope you continue to enjoy the journey (Tao-like or Shinto-like) through the remainder of Part II!

Question for today: from your above response and responses you have made elsewhere, I know you believe the books express Daoism. I mentioned Shinto because it is an Asian belief that assigns kami to things and places. What happened to Toshi-hito in the garden struck me as in that mold.
    My understanding of Daoism runs according LaoTze's:
    Abandon sageliness and discard widom; then the people will benefit a hundredfold.
    Abandon humanity and discard righteousness; then the people will return to filiality and deep love.
    Abandon skill and discard profit; then there will be no theives and robbers. However, these three things are ornament and not adequate.
    Therefore, let the people hold on to these:
    Manifest plainness.
    Embrace simplicity.
    Reduce selfishness.
    Have few desires.

What am I missing?
    Keep in mind, oh toter-of-scales, I have only read to the scene they arrive at the monastary so if something is coming that reflects on my question, feel free to ignore my question and allow me to discover the wonder on my own.

Question for today: from your above response and responses you have made elsewhere, I know you believe the books express Daoism. I mentioned Shinto because it is an Asian belief that assigns kami to things and places. What happened to Toshi-hito in the garden struck me as in that mold.
    My understanding of Daoism runs according LaoTze's:
    Abandon sageliness and discard widom; then the people will benefit a hundredfold.
    Abandon humanity and discard righteousness; then the people will return to filiality and deep love.
    Abandon skill and discard profit; then there will be no theives and robbers. However, these three things are ornament and not adequate.
    Therefore, let the people hold on to these:
    Manifest plainness.
    Embrace simplicity.
    Reduce selfishness.
    Have few desires.

What am I missing?
    Keep in mind, oh toter-of-scales, I have only read to the scene they arrive at the monastary so if something is coming that reflects on my question, feel free to ignore my question and allow me to discover the wonder on my own.
    Answer for today: It is less a question of whether you are missing something; rather more it is perhaps a depiction of your expected result (How's that for a Zen-like statement? )
    The solution you seek is not necessarily the one written in the words. Taoism (pardon my alternate spelling, it just happens to be the one the books on my particular shelf use) has many elements, of course, of which you have noted some. The principles I sprinkled throughout the Tonogato books are closer to this quote from Tao, The Watercourse Way, by Alan Watts: "Idealists...regard the universe as different and separate from themselves - that is, as a system of external objects which needs to be subjugated. Taoists view the universe as the same as, or inseparable from, themselves - so that Lao-tzu could say, 'Without leaving my house, I know the whole universe.' This implies that the art of life is more like navigation than warfare, for what is important is to understand the winds, the tides, the currents, the seasons, and the principles of growth and decay, so that one's actions may use them and not fight them." This is the essence of what Shiko is learning, and experiencing, throughout the books.

Keep in mind, of course, that such philosophical musings were not intended as being the linchpins of the books; they were something that I thought fit, and were generally concepts that I thought would be nice to propagate, but they're not intended to be the main course of the meal.

Shiko's experience in the garden, you may come to see, will be less kami-like than it might at first appear. Interesting that you should mention it, though, since the book I'm writing now, which is not Asian but Mediterranean-based, uses a kami-like concept as part of the magic system.

Congratulations on a fine achievement. You created an enjoyable story, a satisfying plot, and characters who are both plausible and likeable. Am now going to order the next story.

I tried to phrase today’s questions such that they do not become spoilers but they might be anyway so I'll hide them. If you prefer, we might talk about this through PM instead of open forum.

Potential Spoilers:
    The title says “to” and not “to the.” I think I can construct an apt translation of ko and taishi such that the title makes sense as either. From what I understand of your idea, it is supposed to be both possibilities?

The bell sits on the rock rising from the lake. When I came upon the bell in your story , it at first seemed a small thing, a minor event in the story, and yet it is the image you choose to put on the cover, devoting – from your own descriptions – a great deal of time and energy to produce the image exactly as you see it in your imagination. Understanding its impact on Shiko, the bell’s raison d etre remains for me enigmatic. Is there more to come in the next tale?

Again, congratulations. Put my name down any time you need a reference.

Congratulations on a fine achievement. You created an enjoyable story, a satisfying plot, and characters who are both plausible and likeable. Am now going to order the next story.

I tried to phrase today’s questions such that they do not become spoilers but they might be anyway so I'll hide them. If you prefer, we might talk about this through PM instead of open forum.

Again, congratulations. Put my name down any time you need a reference.
    You see, I always knew you were a good fellow... Many thanks for the kind words; I'm very pleased that you enjoyed the book. From the feedback I've had from Sabakushi readers, if you liked the first one then the second one should not disappoint. (If you have any similar troubles in ordering, do let me know and we'll handle things the direct way, as before).

And I'll send you a PM on your questions of the day. Both questions are very apt and I think you will find the answers interesting.