Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Feist's "Magician"...film??

Hey guys,

Iíve been wondering for like forever since I first read magician when I was like 12, if there was going to be some brave chap in Hollywood who would attempt to make the movie? Personally I think itís a gold mine I mean who wouldnít see it now that they made the lord of the rings? I admit it would be a huge movie, so why not slice it in two and make two movies? firstly the Pug and Tomas story (otherwise known as Magician: Apprentice) cause the battle of Crydee would sell out a movie box office thing with gladiator, kingdom of heaven and all lord of the rings wetting everyoneís appetite. And then Milamber and the Valheru (or Magician: Master) would be amazing to see. We definitely have to technology to make such a movie now days so whatís going on? I canít be the first person who has thought of this, I mean the books kick butt. As far as I have seen however no one else has brought the topic up yet, I canít find any information regarding it or anything? Anyway let me know what you think or if there is any other information out there

By the way Iím in the film industry training to be a director, so if no one else makes the movie, eventually I will!

Cheers Guys

Keep me in mind for the part of Pug will ya?

Yeah

You're absoultely right! I read the book only a few years ago and i could actually imagine some of the movie techniques they could use to do a few of the bits while i was reading the novel (my English teacher would be proud). e.g. the part where Pug uses magic against the trolls to save Carline - if you're really into fantasy and have an ok imagination you could porbably see some runic symbols shimerring in gold when you read that sentence (sorry if i'm getting a bit carried away - I'm new).

In any case, I'd just love to watch the movie version of it - hopefully someone will make a brilliant one ... soon.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to be a downer, but IMO the book's too big for a film. In order to make it a saleable film, they have to chuck lots out - which would water it down to something unlike the book, or make it look like every other Fantasy rite of passage film. A TV series would end up looking like the recent Earthsea series. Hmm.

Unlike say, LotR, I can't see an even break that would make film goers want to go back for the second part.

I actually think that some books are left better off as books - and this might be one of them.

Hobbit
    Mark

You mention TV. What I would love to see is some of these long fantasy series made in to FULL LENGTH TV series, not just mini-series. Would be a good fit. I just don't know if any network would ever commit to it. Let's think Wheel of Time as an example just because it's so long a series. An hour episode ends up at about 40-45 minutes without commercials. Looking at LOTR they had to make each book about 3 hours to do it justice. So each 'book' might take 4 episodes of a TV show(45 minutes x 4= 3hrs). Probably going to be about 12 WoT books. So about 48 TV episodes(12 books x 4 eps. per book= 48) would be needed to do the whole WoT story as a TV series without doing a big chop job on the story. You could do that as 2 24 episode seasons.. I know I'd be very interested in watching something like this(not necessarily WoT just using it as an example). For a shorter book series they could do it in 1 season. Riftwar Saga maybe even in just a 13 or so episode season.. That could also be considered a large mini-series. Taken was a Sci-Fi mini-series that was about that length. I wonder if the Sci-Fi channel would ever be willing to do something like this.
    Last edited by Shady; May 29th, 2005 at 03:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    You could do that as 2 24 episode seasons.
    Realistically, I don't think it would work in that way, Shady.

My (admittedly limited!) understanding of the ways of TV is that only one series at a time is commissioned, with options on the next. It is just not economic to make a series of the scale you are suggesting - there would be a major tailing off of viewers as the series continued without signs of a resolution, with the same production costs..... accountants just wouldn't accept it.

Look at Carnivale for example, or even mainstays such as Star Trek.

(Some series haven't even made it through a whole series!). Sadly, though perhaps understandably, it is the economics (ie: making a profit) that TV stations need to be most concerned about.

So: a great idea, but IMO in the real world pretty unlikely.

LotR seems to have been an exception, and even in it's original stages New Line Cinema were looking at reducing the books down to one or two films. It is perhaps only due to those involved (and perhaps that LotR is seen by many as three books) that the film company had the guts to 'risk' three films.

Personally, I doubt it can happen again in the same way for the genre, but you never know... you might get the franchise idea (see Batman etc) but not a number of films made at the same time with the intention of being released consecutively - even ol' Harry Potter may be running out of steam there a little...

Hobbit
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit
    Realistically, I don't think it would work in that way, Shady.

My (admittedly limited!) understanding of the ways of TV is that only one series at a time is commissioned, with options on the next. It is just not economic to make a series of the scale you are suggesting - there would be a major tailing off of viewers as the series continued without signs of a resolution, with the same production costs..... accountants just wouldn't accept it.

Look at Carnivale for example, or even mainstays such as Star Trek.

(Some series haven't even made it through a whole series!). Sadly, though perhaps understandably, it is the economics (ie: making a profit) that TV stations need to be most concerned about.
    You are right, only 1 season at a time committment..actually they usually I think just order like 13 episodes and either cancel it or green light for the rest of the season at that point. That's why with something REALLY long I don't know if a network would go for it in reality. Because most series don't have a beginning and end pre-set. You do it as you go along or it's purely episodic without a story arc. What I described above if they did go for it, it would be a risk because if not popular it ends early and you don't get the whole story. More a risk on those who make the show than the network though.

THAT SAID, what you said about a tailing off of viewers/ratings because of lack of viewers seeing a resolution wouldn't happen. Because there would be a set beginning and end of the show mapped out exactly. The # of episodes and script for every episode could be done before it went into production. So viewers would know exactly when there would be resolutions.

Other shows with pure story arcs have worked and do work. I haven't watched it yet but Babylon 5 would be the best comparison to something like this. It was like a novel for TV. They had the story mapped out from beginning to end and knew how about how many episodes and how many seasons and what would happen from beginning to end. Other pure arc shows are shows like 24, Alias, and Lost.

Lost is a good example of what you describe...I've watched and a lot of people are getting frustrated about no answers and maybe none in sight and viewership may start dropping like a rock because of it. The creators of Lost pretty much know all the secrets and answers and how it ends already...but it's not set as to when things happen..It all depends on how long the show runs. It could be 1 more season if the ratings drop, it could be 6 more seasons but would probably fail before then because of lack of resolutions and fans would drop it. That's why I would have rather a show like that where it's a story arc show where you know what will happen have it set in advance how long the show will run.

24 is a show that you know will have a continuing story but you also know, like a series based on something like Riftwar or WoT exactly when the resolution will come.

If the viewership tailed off, it would be due to lack of quality of the show.

Blog Entries
    Sadly still waiting for Lost here in the UK - will be shown in the next couple of months.

Interestingly though, (because Abrams is also involved in Lost) Alias lost viewers big time when it tried arc stories in Season 3. Viewers were confused, lost track, etc etc.

Babylon 5 is a good example, and yes, in that instance it was done - sort of. (I was at the convention with Strazynski where the green light was given for the 5th season). He was left with trying to fit in the remaining story into the 4th however, because it seemed unlikely he was going to get the fifth to tell the full tale. The 5th season was a real mish mash as a result IMO.

If the viewership tailed off, it would be due to lack of quality of the show.
    I think there are shows out there that would disgree with you. Firefly? The first series of the original Star Trek? (Nearly didn't make it!) I have heard it said about Carnivale, though I haven't had chance to watch them yet.

And I guess my point there is that in the world of TV and Hollywood it is very difficult to maintain the sort of quality you seem to be suggesting.

Can you imagine only seeing half of Magician as a series and then not being able to see the rest?

Having said that, in my cynical way, can you imagine which bits would get hacked out in the compromise between the book and the film? Even Jackson had to do that with LotR. (There's a lot of new fans out there who think Arwen has more to do with the book than she does, for example... )

I think what I'm saying is that IMO I can't see the book surviving a move to TV/cinema without major changes. And although I like the idea of a film/TV series, I think I like the book as it is more: especially in its supersize version.

Hobbit
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit
    Sadly still waiting for Lost here in the UK - will be shown in the next couple of months.
    Very good show, more like awesome..but has gotten frustrating for some. Always more questions popping up than answers.

Interestingly though, (because Abrams is also involved in Lost) Alias lost viewers big time when it tried arc stories in Season 3. Viewers were confused, lost track, etc etc.
    Was always an arc show..every episode was a cliffhanger. I watched the first 3 seasons only on DVD and after each episode we never felt there was a good place to stop and just had to see the next ep. Season 3 wasn't as good as the previous 2. And now in season 4 they've obviously dumbed it down and it's not the same show and I don't like it much anymore.

I think there are shows out there that would disgree with you. Firefly? The first series of the original Star Trek? (Nearly didn't make it!) I have heard it said about Carnivale, though I haven't had chance to watch them yet.
    No doubt. But different circumstances. Firefly I remember watching the first episode when it aired and I couldn't get into it. Didn't get what was going on. Why? Because Fox for some reason showed a random episode instead of the pilot. That's part of what killed it not showing it in order for some reason. I picked it up on DVD recently and am halfway through and it's a great show. Sad it didn't continue...at least there's a movie in a few months. What we are talking about though with something like Magician..it will already have a built in audience for one, and it will be a recognizable name.. If it's good..it will probably get watched. That's why I said in this particular instance, probably the only thing that would get it cancelled before it's end run is if it's of bad quality.

Having said that, in my cynical way, can you imagine which bits would get hacked out in the compromise between the book and the film? Even Jackson had to do that with LotR. (There's a lot of new fans out there who think Arwen has more to do with the book than she does, for example... )
    I think a filmed version of a book story needs changes. They are 2 different mediums and what works on 1 may not work on another. It can be done horribly obviously and hard to do right. LotR was an example of doing it as good as it can be done IMO. On a TV series though with more time though, you might be able to tell it more literally since you have more time and make less changes. Depends on how many episodes you plan I guess. Anyway, this is just something I'd like to see tried at least once just to see what happens.

They have GOT to make this film. I have been waiting about 20 years!

I think it would work if they chopped it in half, as the books are in the US.

Sure some stuff would have to go but then it just comes down to getting a decent screen play writer who will keep the film as faithful as possible to the book.

Let's be fair there was an awful lot missing from LOTR and yet everyone still raved about it....!

Magician could make a good couple of movies, and if they were successful I could see Silverthorn getting done also (that would be the one I'd look forward to most I think) and maybe even Darkness at Sethanon BUT not so soon after LoTR, I say let people half forget about it, you don't need teh comparisons, let some other film genre fad come and just be on it's way out and then bring this out. Then instead of "oh great, another fantasy movie." you might have more people thinking "haven't had a good fantasy flick to watch for awhile."

In a castle in the beautiful city of christchurch --- Ruled by Me
    hmmm I dont know about making magician into a film I love the book but I cant see it working..... I mean if they could get it to work it would be wonderful but I dont see how they could make into two movies without it coming out bad. They would have to get rid way to much stuff and that would suck.

Ahah if there is any movie about Riftwar i am sure they will put Orlando Bloom to play Tomas

In a castle in the beautiful city of christchurch --- Ruled by Me
    orlando bloom is in everything he gets rather annoying. But yes you are probley right he is probley a good fit for the part.

Queen of my Domain

Orlando Bloom?!!

No more, please. He needs to be in something different. He's too stereotyped now as it is. OK he's cute, but enough is enough. A friend of mine who owns a publishing company read that Raymond said he would need about 200million to make a film. He also said that he would definitely consider New Zealand for a location. Another friend estimated that if every NZer put up $50.00 each, we would have enough...lol.