Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    I AM too a mod! Moderator Rocket Sheep's Avatar
    Check samples of your work here to see if you're being too foggy:

Writing Sample Analyser

I have been called 'strange' more than once for this but...I find if one creates and develops the characters for a story...they will write the story for you. I, like everyone else, likes to be in control, however...if one really is adventurous...then try this...let the characters take control...wow...what a trip!

Go to Ian Irvine's Site and click on the Truth About Publishing. Save yourself years of time in learning this stuff the hard way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Sheep
    Go to Ian Irvine's Site and click on the Truth About Publishing. Save yourself years of time in learning this stuff the hard way.
    Oh Sheepie, that's given me indigestion! but good, thanks... Not that I will ever need to know those things.

I think you will need to know those things even if just to make polite dinner time conversation after the release of your first book.

Blog Entries
    How to bore your friends in three easy stages lol...

Anyway this site has some good info and advice.

http://www.bloomsbury.com/WritersArea/default.asp

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    Bird by Bird, Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott, Anchor Books Edition, 1995.
    Best explanation of why I should be writing I have ever read. Useful tips and encouragement delivered with humor, empathy, and joy. There are books out there for Stephen King and John Grisham but this one is for HE and Holbrook and RichardB.

Bride of the absurd
    I don't have a link for this but I like a site called Poynter Online -google will find it; a site geared primarily toward journalism, it adapts very well toward short story/novel building. It is easy to understand and generally encouraging. It is afree site which features thirty rules for improving your writing. I think it's a useful resource for new writers and anyone looking to improve their work. This site did a lot to help me bring my writing from the beginning writer phase to the submitting writer phase.

How to Write a Best Selling Fantasy Novel

SQUARE maps... I was telling Radthorne about the importance of maps the other day... I should've realised... his world has to be square!

Not only is my world square, but it is also flat, except for the single great canyon that runs straight as an arrow through its center, north to south. All rivers run into the gutter at the center of the book. In this world, paridoxically, those who live "on the edge" are much safer than those who slip in toward the center. (If nothing else they may get flung off the page and out of the book when it's closed, rather than squashed in the middle).

Aged Literary Seagull
    Believe it or not, I actually found "The Idiots Guide to writing Science Fiction" to be a huge boost as far as submission guidelines, what to expect, what NOT to expect, listings of agencies and magazines for short story submissions. It's not so much about how to write it, but what is needed to get it written, and how to get published, ect. I recommend it for someone like me who's a newbie at the writing game and needs an introduction

Great website...thanks for the info...I'm always looking for new sites. Sidenote!!! I had a book signing on Friday in a small little town in Northern Nevada...everyone came to see "Hello Kitty"...She was in rented costume and all the customers were there with their little rugrats to see her...but...two people bought my book to give away...Hey that's entertainment!!!

Found this, thought I'd share -
    Everything You Need to Know About Writing Successfully: in Ten Minutes by Stephen King

Also one of the military SF links has changed - http://web.qx.net/warcat/milsf/ is now http://www.military-sf.com/

Project Gutenberg - thousands of classics in the public domain as ebooks.

btw, can this thread be made a sticky? Or would that clutter things up too much?
    Last edited by Expendable; February 2nd, 2005 at 10:44 AM.