Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Andy, that question might do better in the "self-promotion" thread.

Mice9
    Moved to another place entirely. Thanks.

Last edited by Mice9; November 16th, 2007 at 10:55 PM. Reason: moved

Mice9, I don't think you're posting your question in quite the right place. While I see that your desire was not to create a new thread, the intent of this tread is for posting links to resources that writers can use to help them in their craft, not for addressing questions from writers about technique. So you're much less likely to get an answer to your question here, since the people stopping by in this thread are looking for links to things.

I think you would be better off starting a new thread to ask your question, so that you can benefit from all the folks in the Writing thread having an opportunity to consider your query.

The Writer of Fantasy Fred Gallney's Avatar
    Thanks for these resources, everyone. This could really help me. I've added nearly ever link to my favorites list.

A very interesting article (pdf) on teaching punctuation. A couple of nice ideas that help you look at what other author's do, such as "a hierarchy of punctuation marks" and "raising".

Finding an agent

Can anyone recommend an agent for a soon-to-be-released YA Fantasy novel?

kalitara, this particular thread is not the right place to ask that question. The intention of this thread is to provide a place to list resources for writers to assist with their craft.

I would suggest you search the Writing forums for agent-related topics. I don't think you're likely to find someone who will just pop up names for you, however. It's a bit harder than that to find an agent willing to represent your work, I'm afraid.

Contact

Quote Originally Posted by I, Brian View Post
    "From pitch to publication" - Carole Blake (respectable London literary agent)

Important points on how to submit, and the process of acceptance and publication.
    Is there a web site to view or submit to? Or is that a Book title?

Just Another Philistine Hereford Eye's Avatar
    Came across this interesting take on copyrights:
    http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

Excellent resource for sci-fi writers, from space basics and realistic spaceships to hand-held lasers, spacesuits and aliens:

http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/index.html
    Last edited by Legato; March 22nd, 2009 at 02:53 PM.

Speaks fluent Bawehrf zachariah's Avatar
    Stumble helped me find this wonderful thread, showing pictures of London from the late 1800's. The feel of the city is just the kind I am trying to evoke in my WIP, and should inspire anyone trying to write about a city between the standard castle-fortress medieval trope and the modern era.

Speaks fluent Bawehrf zachariah's Avatar
    A fascinating contrast - New York at almost the same time, looking vastly more modern. The giant skyscrapers were being built when everyone still travelled round by horse and carriage!

And why did hats go so comprehensively out of fashion? I'm going to buy me a fedora and wear that sucker everywhere.

contains traces of nuts Hoodwink's Avatar
    http://lab.drwicked.com/writeordie.html

Write or die. A tool that forcibly drives you to write, not actually by killing you, but by being really frikkin annoying, in a fun way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodwink View Post
    http://lab.drwicked.com/writeordie.html

Write or die. A tool that forcibly drives you to write, not actually by killing you, but by being really frikkin annoying, in a fun way.
    I just got a laugh out of looking at the home page, but I did not dare actually start writing. I think I may book mark that and look at it from home. I don't think getting in the habit of writing fiction at work is likely to pay off in the short term. My question is where does your work go, is it saved?

contains traces of nuts Hoodwink's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mylinar View Post
    I just got a laugh out of looking at the home page, but I did not dare actually start writing. I think I may book mark that and look at it from home. I don't think getting in the habit of writing fiction at work is likely to pay off in the short term. My question is where does your work go, is it saved?
    I only used it for a shortwhile to play about with it. I'm too scared of introducing any tool that might promote disciplined writing in me I don't know if it's got any save capabilities to be honest. I'd guess not, and that you are meant to copy and paste.