Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    This has probably already been posted to this thread, and to be honest with all of you, I didn't go through the eleven pages to check, but I'd seriously, seriously recommend How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy by Orson Scott Card. There is an edition of that book that also has a Fantasy Reference in it. It's probably one of the best purchases I've ever made, and it's helped me so much in the past.

Writer by Profession BettyCross's Avatar

Agree. Say what you will of Card's religious and

political views, there's a lot to learn from Card's book. I know it helped me a lot.

Betty Cross

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay.Murray View Post
    This has probably already been posted to this thread, and to be honest with all of you, I didn't go through the eleven pages to check, but I'd seriously, seriously recommend How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy by Orson Scott Card. There is an edition of that book that also has a Fantasy Reference in it. It's probably one of the best purchases I've ever made, and it's helped me so much in the past.

Freewriter
    Blog Entries
    Here are some useful links:

http://fictionwriting.about.com/
    http://www.dailywritingtips.com/
    http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/section/1/
    http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/

There are four books that are essential for any writer.

New Oxford Dictionary for Writers and Editors.
    New Oxford Spelling Dictionary.
    New Hart's Rules.
    Bartlett's Roget's Thesaurus.

I've read Orson Scott Card's books on science fiction writing. I wasn't overly impressed they state the obvious really and it's pretty much covered among the links on this thread.

The best piece of advice I've found is to create a bible of all the elements you plan to incorporate in your book, technology, characters, worlds, etc. This ensures your work is consistent. I've turned my bible into a blog, which I'll use as a marketing aid. For instance my latest blog outlined how communications work within my book. I based it upon quantum non-locality that I researched on wikipedia. I have to admit it was pretty heavy going but now I have it nailed I can just reference my blog. I may even include the blog at the back of my book as a glossary.

Blog Entries

Writing Accents

This may have already been posted, and if it has, my apologies.

It's been a little rough for me to write the accent of one of my characters as he is French-Italian, and I am not readily exposed to such a culture. Here is what I found in my hunt for Writers Resources.

WikiHow has articles on how to "fake" an accent when speaking, but I'm certain that it can be easily implemented VIA text. Try this article, then search for the particular accent Italian isn't auto you are looking for.

www.wikihow.com/Speak-With-a-Fake-Italian-Accent

If anyone is looking for any kind of self-publishing or eBook publishing help, I'm now working in the field on a full-time basis. Whether you need websites, book covers, trailers, whatever it is, I can offer you solutions at a terrific price.

KatG asked me not to post a link but you can see the address of my page just below my name.
    Last edited by Chris_KW; August 9th, 2011 at 04:17 PM.

Chriswilmsmeyer's work

Hello chriswilmsmeyer -- I've just now visited your site, and I'm blown away. The video preview is not only artistically done, but it's uber-compelling. Thank you for posting.

-- WB

Thanks, WB.

I've been working for several months to arrange my schedule so that I can predominantly work in this field. My main goal is pretty simple: expand my presence in the writing community by working with writers and publishers.

Also, since I just started and my portfolio for writers isn't extensive, I'm willing to do the first couple of projects for up to 50% off of my listed prices.

I may need to put a new profile pic on my site, though. I've been told that one scares people off. (lol) Please spread the word and if you're interested, drop me a line.

Chris

Sorry, but I have to agree that you need to change your profile photo, and do so ASAP.

It's the only part of your site that is unprofessional. I don't see any reason to handicap your fledgling business over something so easily remedied. (I'm sure it's representative of the "real" you, but it just isn't representative of good business image.)

Otherwise, when the time comes, I may be coming your way with some work. (If, that is, you're still around in a year or so...)

Okay, got something a bit more personable up there. It's temporary, but it can hold down the fort for now.

Last edited by Chris_KW; August 10th, 2011 at 01:03 PM.

First Draft in 30 Days by Karen S. Wiesner is doing some remarkable things in my married friends' writing lives - as in its completely transformed how they write their novels; they're both now a lot more productive. At first I was sceptical, but now I'm going to get a copy myself.

Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    For those that are finished writing and plan on submitting queries this is handsdown the best resource it is a free short written by legendary agent Noah Lukeman (who also is an author on good writing books such as The First Five Pages, A Dash of Style, and The Plot Thickens)

One book I remember reading a while back that might provide some interesting insights into female psychology--particularly if one has a human or non-human character they're writing who is a mother--is Mother Nature by Sarah Blaffer Hrdy. Lots of explorations of the biology and sociology of different styles of mothering and the choices mothers make in different cultures (and across different animal species).

Here's a few sites that I often use for creating names. Hopefully they may help someone.

http://www.behindthename.com/php/bro...=&value_gender[]=masculine&type_usage=1&operator_usage=&value_usag e[]=ancient

http://www.grigsby.org/surname%20lis...20surnames.htm

http://www.20000-names.com/ (A few ads on this one, but its a great resource I've used for over 6 years.)

Sorry, forgot that I left this up here and they're not big on these kinds of links.
    Last edited by Chris_KW; February 21st, 2012 at 04:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    Lots of good info here. Thanks!