Page 1 of 122 1231151101 ... LastLast

Taking after other books...

Hi all!
    i'm new here but a big fan of alison's. i was wondering if the gift, the riddle etc are going to follow in the steps of harry potter and the lord of the rings and go movie style.
    i admit i wouldn't mind but i think the books are better anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by the masked poet
    Hi all!
    i'm new here but a big fan of alison's. i was wondering if the gift, the riddle etc are going to follow in the steps of harry potter and the lord of the rings and go movie style.
    i admit i wouldn't mind but i think the books are better anyway.
    it would br great if they were turned into movies... just as long as they don't butcher them . Then again they'ed probably have to gain more notoriety before someone would consider doing that. Well, seeing as they haven't been released in America yet, and as the US seems to control most of the worlds cultural industry, movie-wise, anything is possible . I wonder what alison's views are?

BTW, welcome to Alison's Forum, Masked Poet. hmmm, we seem to be gaining a faie few members lately, the word is spreading, it's already begun
    Last edited by Gemini; April 6th, 2005 at 07:25 AM.

BoA Manager
    Hey Masked Poet, welcome to the forums!!! **extends hand to shake**

i was wondering if the gift, the riddle etc are going to follow in the steps of harry potter and the lord of the rings and go movie style.
    books are always better is they are derived from books but it seems movies which have been put into books are worse than the movie. go figure hey?

anywayz if u're interested my friends dared me to write The Gift as a screenplay and lets just say that dare is still goin. it's only in it's first draft though. i've nearly finished. Cadvan and Maerad are in Ettinor or just left there i cant remember but i've only got part four to do. it's like 11 pages or some ridiculous number like that.

damn hard dare. i say if any1 dares u to do anything like that turn it down coz it's one hell or a commitment.

~ Tari

PS. Gem the fan club can now officially have those cheesy badges and jackets!!!

i'm not sure whether it would become a film..i think it's prehaps too similar to Lord of the Rings and that might put alot of non-fans off..and if it was made i think it would always suffer from being compared to LOTR..i think it will probably remain just a bool..it would be interesting though to see how a movie of it would be made...

Jelly Fetishist
    I would love the books to become really really popular and get made into films, but if that happened Alison herself should probably do the screenplay- so many books have been adapted poorly, just look at the Harry Potter films for example.
    The descriptions and imagery in the books are so well done they practically create the film within your head. I think the books would be amazing on the silverscreen!

Welcome, Masked Poet! It's great to see people coming here!

I have to say, guys, that if the movie world came along and offered me a bucket of dollars to make a movie, I wouldn't say "no" But I do think it's very unlikely; as Mrs C says, the books aren't that well known yet. And even if they did take an option, it still takes years to raise the money and so on. And even then, they could do it badly. Peter Jackson has set the benchmark, and that benchmark cost $50 million - I would say that Pellinor is most unlikely to get that kind of investment You have to remember the movie business is, from beginning to end, about money, and it's full of people who don't give a damn about anything else.

It's also most unlikely that they would want me to write a screenplay (even if I wanted to, which I don't!) The writer is the bottom rung in the movie world, and fairly powerless: if they wanted to change the story in some crass way, I wouldn't be able to stop them. Still, it hasn't stopped me wondering who I would cast in the Ideal Movie...any suggestions?

(Badges and jackets?!!! I think a badge like Phil Schramm's Pellinor brooch would be pretty cool...made out of silver, naturally...)

Jelly Fetishist
    Right, I think'll I'll do some thinking on imdb.com and see if I cna come up with my perfect cast.

i think a younger Liv Tyler would be good for Maerad..she's a very good actress as well..i think she'd be able to get that fragility.. maybe Sean Bean for Cadvan..or maybe i'm just saying that becuase he's very good looking and has a wonderful voice ..but seriously he is a great actor and he's got that rugged look..

Jelly Fetishist
    Quote Originally Posted by Fionnoula
    i think a younger Liv Tyler would be good for Maerad..she's a very good actress as well..i think she'd be able to get that fragility.. maybe Sean Bean for Cadvan..or maybe i'm just saying that becuase he's very good looking and has a wonderful voice ..but seriously he is a great actor and he's got that rugged look..
    I dunno, there are suitable actors other than those in LOTR! I think Sean Bean would be too old, he's about 46 isn't he, and Cadvan supposed to look 35ish. I'm sticking with Billy Crudup for the time being, but he'd have to speak english-english, not , I repeat NOT, in american english. For Maerad, I think it should be someone a lot younger, she's only 16 after all. Definately NOT Michelle Trachtenburg

the connection to LOTR wasn't intentional...just relaised i did it..and yes..somehow fantasy done with an american accent just end up sounding increabily cheesy..i'm still going with Sean Bean or someone like him..while Billy is a good choice. ithink he is still to 'pretty' to play Cadvan..

Quote Originally Posted by Fionnoula
    the connection to LOTR wasn't intentional...just relaised i did it..and yes..somehow fantasy done with an american accent just end up sounding increabily cheesy..i'm still going with Sean Bean or someone like him..while Billy is a good choice. ithink he is still to 'pretty' to play Cadvan..
    Yeah i agree Billy would be ok but he is a bit too "pretty". I think Viggo Mortision (i think that is his name) u know Aragorn in LOTR and yeah i know it might be a bit of a copy usin him but wat can i say i've got a soft spot for him

Merenwen

sean bean for cadvan

Sean Bean for Cadvan - yes, please! ( In fact Sean Bean as anyone, although I wish they'd give him a break from the stock villain roles. He is by far and away the best actor on our screens at the moment)
    Not sure who could play Maerad yet. I'll put some thought into that one. What about the Winterking? Stuart Townsend? Joaqin (sp?) Phoenix?

( Btw, hi Alison. I just found this forum the other day. It's great! I loved The Riddle, especially the Winterking and the wolves. I think the Winterking deserves a thread of his own)

Maybe that NZ chick from Whalerider for Maerad and Hugh Jackson for Cadvan. huh i'm going for neighbors! i dunno honestly. its a good question to ask though.
    i still haven't been able to read The Riddle yet! i'm dying to...i can't wait!

Hi Manda - fancy seeing you here! I've been meaning to ring you - for weeks - and I suppose I should pick up the phone instead of writing this - I guess you're back from waving swords in Middle Earth, New Zealand?

(End of diversion...Manda and I were at primary school together folks, so excuse us...)

I'm for Sean Bean as Cadvan - (or anyone) - but my Sean Bean preference is well known. I reckon Alan Rickman might make a good Winterking, with a bit of make-up - he's got that fabulous voice... glad you liked Arkan, btw.

BoA Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by alison
    Still, it hasn't stopped me wondering who I would cast in the Ideal Movie...any
    Well i think a movie with undiscovered new talent although a major risk is a great idea.

~ Tari