Stuck here in Bushland

Question burning man in sf story

Racking my brains for title/author of short story or novella. There was some sort of teleportation device that would take you to varying locations on a post climate-change Earth(i think) and maybe through time too. One of the scenes featured the burning man festival and maybe an abandoned rocketship was another. I thought it was either a Dan Simmons or Charles Sheffield story or maybe I read it in Dozois' Year's Best SF but I can't track it down.

Anybody help?

Tasty or your money back! Moderator fluffy bunny's Avatar
    You're looking for The Stars My Destination (also goes by the name Tiger Tiger) by Alfred Bester. One of the classics of the genre

Stuck here in Bushland
    Thanks, Fluffy. But what I'm thinking of was written much later than that.

Just for fun I googled Bester Demolished Man and came up with this.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/au...red_Bester.htm

Looks like a good site.

It's years and years since I read both of Bester's books mentioned and had totally forgotten Tiger, Tiger. It certainly sounds like what I was looking for!

Stuck here in Bushland
    I've tracked it down myself. It's the long, long, long novel <i>Ilium</i> by Dan Simmons which is going to be followed by Olympos. It's got a great idea but I never finished it as, like Hyperion and Endymion before it which I did finish, it gets so bogged down in literary allusions that I just got bored with it. The Eloi thing is obvious but I missed the Bester thing if it was there at all.

Thanks.

Seeker of Stuff Moderator Kamakhya's Avatar
    Illium mentions Burning Man, as in the one in Black Rock Desert in Nevada? Wow. Now, I will have to read it.