Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Would be writer? Sure. Davis Ashura's Avatar

How do you decide what to read?

Simple question. What is the primary means by which you decide that a book by a previously unpublished author is worth reading? Is it the cover art? Jacket copy? Reviews? Other author endorsements? Recommendations by friends?

Goblin Princess Teresa Edgerton's Avatar
    For me, it could be any of the above, though most likely a combination -- plus, if I happen to have the book actually in my hand (as opposed to ordering it online), a quick look inside to get an idea of the writing style.
    Last edited by Teresa Edgerton; June 8th, 2005 at 08:21 AM.

Tea + Swords = Happiness
    A vast combination of things really, but mostly reccomendations by friends or on forums (I've only been around this forum for a couple of months, but they really know how to bombard newbies with recommendations, which is nothing but a good thing), sometimes reviews... Also...impulse. I'm a book-stroker so immediate contact should be sensual: matt cover, maybe a raised title.

I find good authors recommend good books, I also have coem to trust a few reviewers. I have found reviewers like John Clute, and Matthew Cheney have exceptional taste, among a couple of others.

Just to look at the last few previously unpublished books I read, and how I found out about them:

I find good authors recommend good books:

In the Palace of Repose by Holly Phillips was recommended to me buy her editor, damn good collection.

Things That Never Were: Fantasies, Lunacies, and Entertaining Lies by Matthew Rossi, I picked up because I read one of favorite authors hyping it (Paul di Filippo, who wrote the forward), and I read his essays at Fantastic Metropolis which were truly fantastic.

Genizah at the House of Shepher by Tamar Yellin, was being hyped by Jeff VanderMeer, and was also a phenominal short story author.

The Crimson Sword by Eldon Thompson, was a book I read because it was a review copy, not usually a book that would interest me, but I try to pmp any new author I can to give people an opportunity to ttry them out for themselves.

Regarding a debut effort by an author forthcoming, I am highly anticipating Hal Duncan's Vellum, after reading the premise of it, and being highly touted by Jeff VanderMeer. This along with Jeff Ford's Girl in the Glass, John. C. Wright's Orphans of Chaos, and Martin's A Feast for Crows are the 3 novels I'm most looking forward to this year.

I picked up works by Jeff Ford (who wasn't new) because KJ Bishop recommended his work to me (phenominal)
    Last edited by Ainulindale; June 8th, 2005 at 05:49 AM.

If it's not recommended to me by someone or Amazon, then by book cover, title, and description. It's hard to buy something if it doesn't stand out in some way.

Just to add (after reading Hellsfire response), I absoltely give no credence to 99% of the the opinions on Amazaon, a haven for absolutes , that naturally is a palce for peopel with strong emotions either negative or positive (aka fanboys), and hardly ever a palce you can get a sujective opinion.

Hell ,the most famosu amazon poster gave Robert Newcomb a great rating, whcih si a testement to the irresponsible nature of the reviews there.

I'm somewhat influenced by reviews and recomendations, but my to read pile is so long that the reccomendations have to be both overwhelmingly positive and sound like something i'd particularly like.

I find that many books that are recomended disapear from peoples radar afer a few months / years, so if a book is still being recomended a long time after publication i take a lot more notice.

However, choosing to read fantasy but refusing to read any series until it is finished means that 90% of the recommendations i see can be ignored.

The biggest effect on my reading choices is award nominations. I read on locus that the chance of a fantasy/SF novel being nominated is 1/4 , so iobviously don't try to read them all, but they give a good pointer - especially to old books that are often otherwise forgotten about.

http://www.locusmag.com/SFAwards/Faqtoids.html

I normally choose books based on a synopsis of the plot... I will then search around on the web or on forums and see what the majority of the reviews say.. If it gets good reviews, and the story makes me say "wow. what a cool idea" then I will read it.

Other times, I will just have the urge to read something like it, and will go searching for books that fit the description. For example, the current trilogy I am reading - The Empire Trilogy by Feist and Wurts. I just had the urge to read some Asian flavoured fantasy. So I did a yahoo search for "Asian flavoured fantasy novels" and found that trilogy. Boy I was glad I did!

I defintely agree with Yobmod, for preferences like mine they are a great resource to quality books. They do a phenominal job.

Hey Ainulindale, i think we must have very similar tastes I checked out your top 100 books and have read about a 2/3. Only a few that weren't on my reading list (mostly comic fantasies) so i'll think i'll add them too. Thanks!

Hey Ainulindale, i think we must have very similar tastes I checked out your top 100 books and have read about a 2/3. Only a few that weren't on my reading list (mostly comic fantasies) so i'll think i'll add them too. Thanks
    I just wanted to add that I extended that list to 200 recently, Here

I have a question also kind of branching off from the related question ,are msot of you on-line shoppers or in-store shoppers?

Most of my recommendations come from message boards like this, where I can see a lot of peoples opinions. That's usually followed by a check of amazon to read a little about it.
    I used to get a lot of books just from browsing a store, though - just buying stuff that caught my eye (cover and blurb). Now I don't get much chance to do that, though.

For Ainulindale's question: I buy most of my books through Amazon now, though I will occasionally spot some of them in the store and buy them there rather than wait for an order.

I read what Ainulindale reads so that I can disagree with him

Hi, Madeline! I read The Hidden Stars a few weeks ago!

New books by authors I know and like almost always get read at some point. If an author produces a book I donít like or am indifferent to then their next book is much less likely to be tried unless I can get it from the library. Two bad books and I pretty much write the author off.

Aside from the known faces I follow recommendations from Amazon.uk if they sound good. Surprisingly I've had many more good books this way than bad. I frequently follow the links "Customers who bought this also purchased ..." and make some good finds this way. Amazon reviews have some very little influence, but mostly I am mistrustful of them. So many are written by idiots, too short to be useful, are inaccurate, or are biased

I exchange recommendations with a few people via email, not knowing anyone in real life who reads as I do. I read several book related forums and make notes of any titles or authors which sound interesting. I do very rarely follow recommendations by authors I like, but not the cover blurb type of recommendation - I donít even take any notice of that variety, as they are too brief to really be useful. I prefer the mini review type of recommendation usually found on an authorís website or in an interview.

If I see an interesting looking book while browsing a bookshop I usually hit the net and look for reviews. I found my great to sucker rate was too high buying without doing a bit of research. My local bookshop seldom stocks anything interesting anyway.

Covers only influence me so far as "Gah! So embarrassing it will have to be really tempting before I'll be seen with that!" If it looks like a cheap and tacky romance novel then I'm not a happy frog.

Usually if I'm not sure about a book I hit Amazon.com and see if there are any excerpts available. That often swings me one way or another.

Once in a very rare while an unusual thing prompts me to look at a book/series. For example I started reading Ellis Peter's Cadfael after seeing the first episode of the TV series.

All that only decides if I try the book, not if I buy or try and get it from the library. Hehe, thatís less complicated: if I am very confident it will be good I buy. If I am unsure I rent. If itís not available (common occurrence, sadly) I buy cheaply if it still sounds appealing, or forget about it.

Goblin Princess Teresa Edgerton's Avatar
    Ah, Sell Sword, that's what I like to hear!

To satisfy my curiosity (and, purely as a side benefit, to keep this thread on topic), what made you pick up the book in the first place?