Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Several people recommended this method to me, Andols. I've tried it a bit but I've just found it to be generally bothersome. If you get caught up for too long without asking for another title and therefore don't feed the old man, he tends to die. Then you've got to go out and hunt down a replacement. Also, being locked in the basement, the old men tend not to keep abreast of the more current books on the market. So depending on how long you've had him down there and how old he is, you may not be recommended anything from within the last several decades, which may or may not be to one's individual taste.

I've had better luck with book slugs, honestly. Much easier to maintain in almost every respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    Several people recommended this method to me, Andols. I've tried it a bit but I've just found it to be generally bothersome. If you get caught up for too long without asking for another title and therefore don't feed the old man, he tends to die. Then you've got to go out and hunt down a replacement. Also, being locked in the basement, the old men tend not to keep abreast of the more current books on the market. So depending on how long you've had him down there and how old he is, you may not be recommended anything from within the last several decades, which may or may not be to one's individual taste.

I've had better luck with book slugs, honestly. Much easier to maintain in almost every respect.
    You might be on to something.

How do the slugs work? You line a few up in lanes with books at the end and have a race?

That might work. I tend to just open up a can of them on my To-read shelf and let them have at it over night. The next day, whichever book is slimiest is my next read.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Radone View Post
    Simple question. What is the primary means by which you decide that a book by a previously unpublished author is worth reading? Is it the cover art? Jacket copy? Reviews? Other author endorsements? Recommendations by friends?
    New to the thread, but for new unpublished, I wait it out and comb through sffworld, amazon, associated links from wikipedia and google search the internet for review. I'm not so concerned with reading only that which will please me, I'm more concerned with the financial matters of getting the most enjoyment per dollar/quid/pound/euro/gil that I can.
    Last edited by PeterWilliam; October 3rd, 2008 at 10:36 AM. Reason: original incomplete