Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    Because of the forums, this one in particular, I get a good sense of what the people who post are all about. There are some whose recommendations I would take in an instant, and some whose 'like list' will most likely not be mine as well. I learn as much about what I want to read as what I don't want to read. Each fantasy website has a different amibiance and, depending upon what I am in the mood for, I will frequent one or another for ideas.

I also converse often with other authors whom I respect for their insight and talent, and I almost always read what they think is wonderful.

What to read next

What to read next --
    I have found a lot of new authors I like, by reading
    posts on these forums, AND going to amazon.com
    and their listmania's & if you like to ....
    also if you choose a book/author you liked....they have
    links to books that other people bought / look at.

NOW, another way to answer this post is, I have a
    bookcase of "to-read" books, and choosing which one
    to read next is probably harder for me. Sometimes a new
    book comes out by one my favorite authors, and that
    preempts everything, or I stand there and say to myself,
    "I want to read this one and this one and this one and which ONE?"
    I have no method to my madness there, just grab one.

Goblin Princess Teresa Edgerton's Avatar
    When it comes to cover art, I've heard several editors say that it isn't aimed so much at the reader (casual or otherwise) as it is at the distributors and booksellers.

So what you get is editors and art department people (who have read the book) getting together to put together a concept that matches what the middle men (who probably never will read the book) think that ordinary people like you and I (who might read the book) will find appealing.

Of course if the book in question is written by a big-name author with huge sales in his or her past, the bookstores will stock it however it looks, so there's a better chance of a cover that actual readers will like.
    Last edited by Teresa Edgerton; June 9th, 2005 at 12:45 PM.

I'm actually ashamed to be seen with some fantasy novels owing to their terrible cover art. This is a shame because the stories rarely reflect the "Now I'm a spotty oversexed, underutilized teenage boy" covers.

This appears to be a peculiarly American phenomenon, British cover art on the same novels is often a good deal more tasteful and understated.

I'm actually ashamed to be seen with some fantasy novels owing to their terrible cover art. This is a shame because the stories rarely reflect the "Now I'm a spotty oversexed, underutilized teenage boy" covers.
    Another plus for online retailers delivering to the door

Quote Originally Posted by madeline howard
    When it comes to cover art, I've heard several editors say that it isn't aimed so much at the reader (casual or otherwise) as it is at the distributors and booksellers.
    I was at a con and David Hartwell talked about this. It was back when PBs were the big thing in genre, and he talked about how the distributors would take the big name authors and everyone else got laid out on a table and they would pick which books to carry based on color and artwork/title - without even reading anything about the book. Don't know how much this is still true since now there are more HCs and Trades.

I picked up your book Madeline, because the cover looked interesting, and someone on the board had given a positive review. Still haven't read it yet though.

I pick new authors by various means: recommendations from friends and RL group members, from people on the board, from mags and other on-line sites that I trust. I look at amazon and will follow the links that say 'if you like this you might like this'. I look at the reviews on amazon, because those that talk about what they liked or didn't give you information about what is in the book. I don't necessarily take their opinions to heart, but I also look for trends. I browse in the store and pick up books that look interesting mostly based on cover art. Sometimes I will pick a book by subject rather than author.

When I am at home and trying to decide which book to read next, it is often on a whim. I may pick something new, or something that has been around for a while. I try to vary what type of books I read, so I don't get burnt out. Though I do try to read the next book in a series that I have already started, as soon as I get it.

For established authors that I like, I track their next books and check them out. I also keep track of the various series that I am reading and get the next one.

Book-addict
    I have to say I am probably a mood-picker, when it comes to reading books. Sometimes I just want a quick fix and if thats the case I generally pick a kid's book or short stories but sometimes I want to immerse myself in a world totally and thats when I head for the epics or series.
    As for recommendations, I tend to take everything on-board and then go look at what other people and reviews say, particularly those I have come to respect.

On a slight tangent. I work in a bookshop and I am in charge of the fantasy section. So when I am setting up the shelves or re-organising them, I try to spine the authomatic sellers like Robert Jordan or Terry Pratchett - even if it takes up a whole shelf. Then I face out those books that I like or I think deserve to be recognised and I try to push these - the covers play no role, at least for me.
    The same goes for ordering them covers don't take a role in this, as its only the title and author that appear on screen! For the buyers it might be more important but it doesn't work for me.

Does your bookstore have a large fantasy sections Butterfly? Any small press titles?

Book-addict
    My particular store isn't huge - a couple of sections, which is why I reorganise so often! The chain that I work for is big enough in Ireland but I have to say doesn't really do loads of small press.
    However, to get round this I do my bit by giving the regular customers I have come to know, the names of authors that are small press - because I can never remember the numerous names of the presses themselves - or I tell them to check amazon. Of course this is all out of earshot of my manager but its the customer that counts in my book, no pun intended.
    Its why I try to read most of the recommendations I get, so I can broaden the material and my knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Wassner
    Does your bookstore have a large fantasy sections Butterfly? Any small press titles?
    Last edited by butterfly; June 12th, 2005 at 05:17 PM.

I am coming to Dublin after World Fantasy in Glasgow. Where is your store? Maybe I'll stop in.

Book-addict
    I forgot to answer your question. A little known suburb called Dun Laoghaire is where I am based at the moment.
    It seems a few people are coming to Ireland after the Con. My advice don't drink the Guinness in Temple Bar and be prepared for any weather

Simple, pure mood or what I like to call "phase". I'll go through a fantasy phase where if I even think of Sci-Fi or History or other genres I get sick to my stomach, I have to read fantasy. And in turn even the type of fantasy is based on the phase I am in. Then one day I will wake up and I can't even get myself to open a fantasy book I must read about the history of Rome, then a month later or so I must read Sci-Fi. I can't figure it out, there is no rhyme or reason. Very strange.

I used to read stuff based on the blurb at the back as well as reviews. So I'd go out and buy about 10 books at once (some in trilogies, etc.) and then begin readin one of them. However, I might then decide to take a sneak peak at another, and soon enough find myself reading that one. I am awful at controlling what books I read. Just now I have at least 6 books on the go.

Book-addict
    Phases or moods is a good way to describe the approach to reading. Guess you can get sick of reading the same thing.
    I rarely pick up comedy fantasy or science fiction, so I often find it hard to pick authors in those categories and tend to rely on recommendations more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ainulindale
    Just to add (after reading Hellsfire response), I absoltely give no credence to 99% of the the opinions on Amazaon, a haven for absolutes , that naturally is a palce for peopel with strong emotions either negative or positive (aka fanboys), and hardly ever a palce you can get a sujective opinion.

Hell ,the most famosu amazon poster gave Robert Newcomb a great rating, whcih si a testement to the irresponsible nature of the reviews there.
    I maybe a little late in my response but better late than never. Man, I miss high speed. I meant that when I listen to Amazon reviews, I only listen to the ones that are well thoughtout and back up their opinions. I ignore the one or two sentence ones from the haters and fanboys. I think most of the people explain why or at least it balances the star rating.