Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where can I buy your books?

Seriously, man. Where on Laon's green world can I find your books? Granted, I've only been in the USA for a month, but every person I've asked in every bookstore I've been in has given me hope that trolls really do exist. Vacuums don't look so empty as the expressions they give me.

Plus, this could be a good resource for anyone else interested in tossing some cash at you.

GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    Sorry about that. It's not under my control, but they can order them from any store if they look it up. That's not a good answer i know, so if you're into buying online, go to any Amazon.com and they ship right away. Or you can go directly to http://www.windstormcreative.com and order from my publisher at a 20% discount, which covers more than the freight involved in ordering online.

As far as brick and mortar stores, B & N carried The Twins, but I don't know if they still do.

Let me know the outcome. It's more fodder for the conversations I have with my publishers.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Gary Wassner; August 13th, 2007 at 01:38 PM.

Gary, thanks for giving me the Windstorm link. I just tossed 15% your way for "The Twins". And for myself snagged the notion of a seeming solid publishing company.

One question, though, how does Windstorm hold up on your end? From what I read, it appears a very comprehensive, well-organized company that truly maintains a solid level of commitment toward its clients. However, I can't overlook the fact that I had to ask you how to get ahold of your books, which, I must say, is a rather hindering element of my decision to submit my manuscript to them.

Thanks for the support!

Their distrubution is not what we dream about, but neither is it terrible. Like all independent presses, they suffer from lack of promo bucks. Today though, only a handful of authors get money from their publishers for marketing. Remember too that if your books don't sell in 60 days from receipt by B & N and Borders, they're put in boxes and shipped back to your publisher. So no distrubution is guaranteed beyond a small window anyway.

I like them very much at Windstorm. They work their butts off, they have a true sense of family and commitment to their authors, if their authors have a similar vision as they do. And I do. I'm in it for the long haul. It took me a while to appreciate my relationship with them. But now, we really and truly have a bond and we are all on the same page.

All of this being said, I work hard to promote my own books and that's just not always enough. They're putting much more effort behind Revenge. They feel it's the breakout book of the series, and their sense of series success is that by the fourth or fifth book, the acceptance is more serious by booksellers and the purchase is easier. I hope so.

They're good people at Windstorm. A bit quirky perhaps, but hard working and sincere.

Trust me, it's my pleasure. I've been very impressed by what you have to contribute to sffworld, and have had nothing but interest in your published work. Finding your books has been like that annoying itch in the middle of your back that you just can't reach.

Come what may, I can't shake the feeling that I'll also have to be really aggressive with self-promotion. Which is fine. I think that anyone who really wants their work read should be at least willing to work hard for it. Are there any particularly successful steps that you've taken?

Quirky we can handle. It adds excitement to the deal, so long as they put their money where their mouths are. Of course, this is all assuming that my manuscript is something that appeals to them and are willing to bite. But that's one of those things we find out, right?

Sorry if this is bringing up an old thread all. I just wanted to say that it does seem a bit difficult to find your book. Especially, it seems your first book, and what I mean is that on Amazon it says that if I bought your book from them, it would take 1-3 months for it to ship! And that seems an awfully long time to wait! I'm pondering over ordering The Twins from a second hand amazon seller for a cheaper price I suppose and also probably faster delivery....

Unless another option that you know is available, or if its more preferable to order it straight from your publisher, I think I will either get one thru or from amazon or something.

That's odd. Someone just ordered The Twins and got it overnight from Amazon. But I know they've been selling pretty well recently so maybe they ran out. If you order directly from Windstorm it is cheaper and gets there pretty fast too.

I was in a big Barnes and Noble in Union Square in NYC and they had The Twins on the shelf. But I don't know if they're in all the B & N's.

I just logged on to Amazon and I see what you mean! I guess they ran out!

Check again in a day or so. Often it's just a temporary announcement while they wait for more stock.

But, if you go to Barnesandnoble.com they have The Twins in stock, 24 hour delivery.

As of Christmas, hopefully, all four of my books will be on the shelves at your local Barnes and Noble. I just got the news today! If not Christmas, then shortly thereafter.

Wish me luck!! Now they have to sell.

Wow, congratulations, Gary!

That should make it easier for me to pick up one of your books. I'd like to try the best of Gary Wassner, but not a sequel unless it's a stand-alone (I prefer to start with the first of a series).

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Well, Gary, if they don't sell, then we, your loyal mafia will hang around the Sci-Fi/Fantasy with clubs and dark glasses to "persuade" people to buy them.

Thanks Optimutt! I know a bunch of people who might benefit from a sharp rap on the head anyway.

Hey, were you ever able to recreate that interview that got trashed?

As a matter of fact, yesterday, I sat down and tried to recollect all the points we covered in the interview. I think I got most of them, but forgot to look up the name of the man who I considered to be a Philospher King from "The Twins." Baladar? of Parthada? Pardatha?

You got it. Pardatha.

Blog Entries
    Well, as of today's trip to the store, you are officially out of print with Chapters/Coles/Indigo in Canada...

My books have never been out of print. The funny thing is that if they never stocked them then they just show them out of print. They can be ordered at any time.

You don't shop online? Amazon?

Soon, (I've been saying this for a while now, but it's finally happening) my books will be on the shelves of Barnes and Noble stores. The orders are all in, my publisher confirmed, and they will be shipping shortly.