Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Paris Hilton

LOL ahhh Paris Hilton... Blergh!

Shes under house arrest now. Shes tagged and cannot leave her front door. Somewhat better than being in prison. But i think its totaly unfair. Any other regular joe would have gone to jail.

I'm trying to figure out what medical condition would let a person get out of jail for free like that. After all, it must be something fairly acute since there was no mention of it prior to her incarceration. What could she have that couldn't be treated in jail but only at home? Ahh, who am I kidding. Her celebrity and daddy's cash got her out early.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Actually it was a whole three but five if you listen to the guy who made the statement about her release Apparently she can serve out her remaining time, supposedly forty days, under house arrest - except her house is a mansion so I'm sure she's going to suffer greatly from it. I mean seriously do the top hitters in the judiciary and prison service realise how appallingly bad it makes them look? Medical reasons? I wonder how shocking it was for her going from complete pampered luxury to a 7 x 10.

GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    Honestly, I think it's disgraceful. I'm seriously shocked that they let her out without her having to check into a hospital.

But it could be that someone in the prison threatened her life or that some of the inmates swore they'd kill her or rape her or something. There's got to be more going on that we don't know about. It does make the judiciary look ridiculous. And they must have known that it would.

Blog Entries
    Well it looks like the prosecutors office have cottoned on anyway, she's been recalled to face the judge and the sheriff's have been asked to attend to explain their decision to let her out on, as yet unnamed, medical grounds. Sounds like some serious buck-passing is on the way to me.

Someone's head should roll for this!

The idiot that made the decision to release her must have been promised a great job at a Hilton resort in a country that doesn't have extradition rights with the US. He should go there quickly!

Registered as What?
    Yet this the epidemic of the Bush reign of America. The rich/powerful get away with anything and everything. They might get Ms. Hilton to do the rest of her time back in jail,if there is enough uproar at this blatant slap to the face of the public.

But I wonder were the outrage is for what Scooter(pie) Libby got. It almost seems to be a foregone conclusion that after Libby exhausts his appeals for his sentencing that Bush will just pardon him. I find this to be much more unacceptable than worrying about the paris thing. True, it is a shame, but Paris is just the side show; whereas the Libby thing is just damn disheartening.

Paris was put in solitary confinement for her own protection, but not in a cell that allowed her to drown out the sounds of the other inmates. Apparently, she went into hysterics, sobbed uncontrollably, didn't sleep, was freaked out by the screaming noises of the other inmates, and wasn't eating. It's entirely possible that she did have some sort of blood-pressure or dehydration problem, or that they were worried she'd injure herself. Normally such behavior would get you sent to the prison infirmary, but rather than having to deal with Hilton being in the infirmary and the problems that would cause, they decided to send her home instead. It's also possible that she was going through drug withdrawal and had a major medical problem from it.

It's more likely that she's just an incredibly spoiled brat and couldn't handle the situation. Hey, it would be hard for most of us to endure, but when you live the kind of life she lives, it's even harder. But that's no reason to let her out.

I think that socially, Hilton's incarceration is just as important, though of course in a different way, than Libby's. Bush will probably pardon him when the commotion dies down. A travesty for sure. But both situations are telling examples of privalege in our society. The decay socially is just as obvious with someone like Paris Hilton as it is politically with Libby.

Still, politically this kind of crap has been going on forever. Just look at the history of political skandals in the US and around the world. People almost expect it from their elected officials, sadly. But someone like Paris Hilton??? her behavior would have alienated her socially even 10 years ago. She would have been nothing more than a messed up rich kid, out of control, who was slutty and drug addled. Now she's a role model and admired by millions! Envied even. That's the crime. That's what makes her incarceration as important as Libby's in my view.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    Paris was put in solitary confinement for her own protection, but not in a cell that allowed her to drown out the sounds of the other inmates. Apparently, she went into hysterics, sobbed uncontrollably, didn't sleep, was freaked out by the screaming noises of the other inmates, and wasn't eating. It's entirely possible that she did have some sort of blood-pressure or dehydration problem, or that they were worried she'd injure herself. Normally such behavior would get you sent to the prison infirmary, but rather than having to deal with Hilton being in the infirmary and the problems that would cause, they decided to send her home instead. It's also possible that she was going through drug withdrawal and had a major medical problem from it.
    Yeah it was interesting to read the official statements where it was explicitly stated (as you would do with a potential billionairess in your custody) that the medical problem was not one she gained from being in prison. Which does suggest she might have had to go cold turkey and is absolutely hilarious if the case. Big Al Sharpton is on the case now aswell so this won't likely turn out well for anyone.

Interesting that Sharpton DIDN'T make it a racial issue. He made it a rich/poor issue. He said if she was a poor white or a rich ghetto black rapper she would have been treated differently. I'd love to rally to one of his causes for a change. Maybe this is the one!

GO AL!!!

Whatever the medical condition, it could still have been handled in the prison system. We had a unit at MCV that we dubbed the "Crook-U" since all the incarcerated felons who needed hospitalization ended up there (after their stay in the more tradtional ICUs). I asssume LA County would have something like that arranged with one of the big med centers. So, she would have been shackled to a hospital bed with a sheriff's deputy sitting outside while she detoxed.
    If it was horrific anxiety problems, again, there are medications for that (can be addictive, of course) but one shouldn't be allowed out of prison simply because of fear or inability to eat. Isn't that a way people won't go back to prison: the fear of incarceration?
    Anyway, I can't help but feel compassion for someone as shallow, clueless, and terrified as she apparently was in court today. That said, tough love and all that. She should never have been released.

The rumors were that she had developed some sort of rash, apparently, which does sound like it might be the jail. But Al Sharpton is no longer needed because Hilton went back to jail today. The judge in the case made her come back to court, decided that the sheriff's department had not followed the proper procedures re moving her to house arrest, and sent her back to jail to serve the remainder of her sentence while she screamed her head off.

I feel a mild sympathy for her because she is being symbolically punished in payback for all those celebrities who have gotten off of these sort of charges. But not really, because she apparently violated her probation by driving not once, but twice, and it was the second violation that got her sent to jail.

Hilton's image as a dumb blonde has been carefully crafted, as she herself has admitted. But perhaps image has become reality, because how dumb do you have to be if you got caught on a DUI, not to just have a limosine drive you around till your probation is over? Or perhaps it's simply being drunk.

When she first was going to jail, I thought oh well, the monkey is throwing poop again and now she will be everywhere and I will not be able to get away from her. But I do think now because she's having a nervous breakdown, that once she's out and there's no more fun prison story to cover, she will have pretty much lost a lot of her cool factor and I hope to hear less about her. Maybe she could go off to Europe for a long rest. If she'd held on to her cool and spun it right, this could have worked to her advantage, but now she's turned into Anna Nicole Smith. (If she has a baby, I may have to retreat to an island somewhere.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    Maybe she could go off to Europe for a long rest.
    It's ok you can keep her that side of the pond thanks all the same

There was the mildest of sympathy for her when I saw the pictures of the triumphant return to jail, but it waned quickly when I read that her comment on being caught DUI whilst on probation was 'I didn't know I wasn't supposed to drive.' Honestly it took me a minute or two to recover and my sides hurt, image or real her stupidity is on a level of genius I can't comprehend. Hopefully, not likely but hey, it will sink in now that there are repercussions - there seem to be so many young, drunk people driving it's actually disturbing.

Paris needs to knuckle down and do her time. This business of almost getting sprung for home arrest will actually only make that harder for her in the coming days.

At the end of the day, she's still in a privileged position, with a safe place to do her time and the knowledge that she's going to cash in on her 'ordeal' when she finally does get out.