Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I enjoy writing the odd poem. Actually, a couple years ago, I went poem crazy, and wrote a whole bunch, but I scrapped a lot of them because I read them later and they were pure drivel. If anyone wants to read any of mine, just tell me!

I don't just write poems, I write songs! In the past, I got most of them from dreams...(the "hook" the chorus and what the verses are about, then I really have to write them.)
    I have one that's a little like "The Kin of ATA are Waiting for You."

Hi Feacus

I read your poem, I can't resist a dare. I was a little taken aback by the image of Zeus eating "pies and cakes". didn't they go for roasted kine? And not a mention of the wine dark sea (if I missed it, sorry).

You've got a sense of rhythm, for sure. I think perhaps some of the anachronisms are a little too much... though I have myself no hard and fast rules on it. It just seems a little confused to me. Have you read Kazantakis' story of Odysseus _after_ he gets back to Ithaca? - an interesting take on it.

Alison

I'm afraid I just can't meet the bar. I'm sorry. I've tried but I just can't.

Hey Feacus, don't be discouraged - you should see my file of rejects! And I've been writing for over 20 years. It's taken me 10 years to finish some poems, and that's just hwo it is - persistence is the key, and patience, and curiosity. Rhythm is the thing which counts most of all with poems, believe me.

Alison

Cadfael
    Feacus... I read you poem, and enjoyed it... dispite everthing that has happened I always thought you had talent... and yes I have ploughed my way through everything you have ever posted... on any forum!!

Wow, even on ff.net? I have about 30,000 words'-worth of 'posting' there

I wrote this a few days ago:

My mother and I
    started a 3D puzzle
    of the world,
    but we couldn't find all of the pieces.
    I looked under the coffee table,
    and between the couch cushions
    and behind the television set
    and when I couldn't find them,
    Mom said,
    "We'll finish the world without them."
    So we did.

interesting

Ok, my friend wrote that poem and I keep responding so that this thread will return to the top of the list and someone other than I will comment on her poem!

Actually, I quite liked your friend's little poem, Feacus. Short, and to the point, with just the right balance of cliche, metaphor and irony!

Welcome to the Forum, Flowermama!