Non-English fiction

Everyone loves the American-based or British-based authors yet other countries produce great SFF authors who write in their own language. The translations are not often advertised and unfortunately we miss out on some great reads.

Here is my contribution: Sergei Lukyanenko, a Russian sci-fi writer, most famous for his Trilogy of the Watch, starting with the "Night Watch" aka "Nochnoi Dozor" which has been made into a movie that is due to hit the international cinemas in July. It is not strictly fantasy or science fiction as it is set and takes place in modern day Moscow. The concepts introduced are amazing and very unique. I recommend to read the translated version and then see the movie. This book won the author the title of the "Best European fantasy author" a little while back.

Any other non-English writing authors that people on SFF can recommend?

Gabriel Garcia Marquez is a brilliant South American author, my favourite book One Hudred Years of Solitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Julianag View Post
    Everyone loves the American-based or British-based authors yet other countries produce great SFF authors who write in their own language. The translations are not often advertised and unfortunately we miss out on some great reads.

Here is my contribution: Sergei Lukyanenko, a Russian sci-fi writer, most famous for his Trilogy of the Watch, starting with the "Night Watch" aka "Nochnoi Dozor" which has been made into a movie that is due to hit the international cinemas in July. It is not strictly fantasy or science fiction as it is set and takes place in modern day Moscow. The concepts introduced are amazing and very unique. I recommend to read the translated version and then see the movie. This book won the author the title of the "Best European fantasy author" a little while back.

Any other non-English writing authors that people on SFF can recommend?

Since I'm new 'round here, I'm poking through the mustier backends of the forum and I wanted to pull this discussion back up to the top, especially as I noticed that Lukyanenko's book is on tap for one of the book clubs this month.

Cross-posting from the Russian lit thread, I'll repeat that my husband is a huge fan of Stanislav Lem, the Polish scifi author who wrote Solaris, and I particularly love Milorad Pavic, a Serbian writer who wrote what might get lumped with magical realism, and who did a lot of experimentation with the structure of a book.

In the non-Slavic realm, I wonder what sort of SFF might be being written in places like China, India, or Brazil, where there's a lot of technological leapfrogging happening. If your parents are agricultural workers without running water, and you make your way through a technical university for a computer science degree and maybe make it to work in the US in Silicon Valley, what stories are you telling?

Halfway between Nashville, TN and Horsley, NSW. Also: www.gainespost.com
    Liu Cixin out of China. Some of his stuff is in English now.

Hope you like them...

Laura Esquivel, Arturo Perez Reverte and Isabel Allende are a few names you should check out. Horacio Quiroga's stories are fond to those that are fans of Edgar Allan Poe.
    However, like users before this post, Garcia Marquez is just something else. A Hundred Years of Solitude (Cien años de soledad) is a heartwarming book full of twists and colors.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    How did I miss this thread?

Zafón!

Carlos Luis Zafón. One of my all time favorites.

Zafón

Where should I start with Zafón? Please recommend!

I'll read it in Spanish.