Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Going to a Con? Let us know.

Sorry I have been AWOL for ages. The edit from hell on my last book and a rather slow start (me - not the story!) on my new one...

Anyway - I'm now gearing up for the exciting fantasmagoria that is Worldcon in Glasgow!!!! After 6 months of sitting on my own, staring at my computer, I am REALLY looking forward to this one.

I know we've mentioned this in the dim and distant - but, who else is attending? Come and say "hi" to me - oh, go on, go on, go on....

I am doing 2 panels & 1 reading:

Panel 1: Saturday 10am - 'British Landscape and the Fantastic' - this is moderated by Peter F. Hamilton and Susanna Clarke is on it (of "Johnathan Strange..." fame)

Sunday: My reading - 12 noon. Reading from my new book, 'Swarmthief's Dance.'

Panel 2: Monday 11am - 'Everything you need to know about Scotland if you want to set your fiction here!' This is more of an "infomercial" type of panel - cliches to avoid etc. Should be a fun one!

I also hope to be at a panel for "Nova Scotia" which is a wonderful anthology of Scottish SFF writers - but the time hasn't been arranged yet...

So LOADS of opportunity to yell - "Hey, Funky!!!!"

Seeya!
    Funky

Ah, funk, you need to give them your real name again, so they know which author you are.

I believe Gary Wassner is going for a few days, and James Barclay may be there. I'm unfortunately not, but I think again it would be great if SFFWorld could try to do something -- a party, lounge or something -- for members and member authors to help promote all of you and the site.

Red face Oops!

Good idea, KatG!
    I'm Deborah J. Miller (call me Debs!) and I publish with TOR UK

(formerly aka Miller Lau - published 'The Last Clansman' trilogy with Simon & Schuster)

NOM & Gary - come & say hi!

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That sounds great... I hope to be there, Funky - you can help me out with all that Scottish stuff!

Hobbit
    Mark

Guardian of sffworld Moderator James Barclay's Avatar
    Yep, I'm there, funky so hope to see you. Got a reading, a panel on writing the second book in a trilogy (Terry Brooks on that one too ) and a kaffeeklatsch (sp?) which should all be fun. Plenty of time in the bar and around the convention plus catching up with Gary W. Should be a good one.

Any who are there, t'would be great to see you.

NOM

Cool beans Hobbit & NOM!

I'm soooo looking forward to it! Doing a special shop for a new frock on Wednesday! Figured I should make an effort & stuff... Look forward to seeing you...

Funky

I'd like to go, but unfortunately Glasgow was not in my travel budget for this year. Next year, however, WorldCon is in Anaheim, and I will most definitely be there.

I'm confused about the size of the con. People say that WorldCon is the world's largest con, with a usual attendance of 8,000 people. But I just went to Comic Con, and I believe it had AT LEAST 8,000 attendees, or more. There's no way WorldCon is bigger than Comic Con. I can't believe that Anaheim has a convention center big enough for that. Any insights, anyone?

I wanted to go, I was sure I was going, but ...

can't come. I'm very miserable about it, especially since hearing about some of the panels I would have liked to go too. Especially the one about writing about Scotland ... not that my books are set in Scotland, but I do draw on an awful lot of Scottish history, folklore, and customs ....

I'll look out for your books - my Scottish ones are not published in the UK so you probably won't have heard of them - the Witches of Eileanan series by Kate Forsyth

have fun!

maybe next time ....

Kate Forsyth

Loveable Rogue Moderator juzzza's Avatar
    Can someone confirm exact dates... I am going to check what ships are sailing and if I can sneak under some tarpaulin...

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sadly, Kate, that also sounds like Marianne De Pierres story, too.

Will think of you in spirit, so to speak. (Judging by the rumours of Scotland, Glasgow and whisky, that should be quite easy... )

Later Edit - the dates are the 4th August till 8th August. Website HERE.

Hobbit
    Mark

Yeah, WorldCon is nowhere near the size of ComicCon (avg. attendees = 70,000) and actually, it's usually a bit smaller than DragonCon too, if I understand correctly.

However, quality over quantity, that's what I always say!

I'll be there, certainly. Been planning this trip for years. It would certainly be helpful if someone picked a place and time for SFFWorld people to meet up. Perhaps after one of our author's panels?

I really hope to meet some of you!

Question Who's going to Dragon*Con?

We're leaving the kids behind and the wifey and I are heading to Atlanta for Dragon*Con Labor Day weekend. Anyone going to be there? Anyone been there before. I've seen smaller cons, but not really sure what to expect at a con this big. Couldn't even get into either of the hosting hotels... had to get reservations across the street @ the Hilton!

~Dan

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi, I've set up this thread of two merged 'con' threads and so anyone who wants to discuss where they are going and what they are looking forward to can. As usual no advertising please

I'll be at Worldcon, probably feeling rather lost as this will be my first. I'm wondering if anyone at all will turn up to my reading, because I doubt many people will know of me, let alone want to hear me read!

Anyway, if anyone out there wants to say hi, don't hesitate to stop me and do so. I'll be at least as lost as you are, if not more so...

Contrary Mary
    Does anyone have a website for U.S. conventions? I am interested in smaller conventions.