Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    Good luck in Atlanta Steve. Yes, I can't believe we missed each other as well. Did you get to the Guiness factory in Dublin? I saw James Barclay for five minutes and spent some time with Sammie and Jacquin in London. Otherwise, I kept a very low profile and didn't stay too long in Glasgow. Still it's a shame we didn't meet up.

Thanks Malibu for the kind offer. As I said, if I had planned to go to the convention and had arranged to do something there in advance, then it would have been a consideration. But just to travel down when I am so busy here now wouldn't be convenient.

Seriously, we should all plan to meet in Madison in November. WFC is a great convention.

Just got my schedule for CascadiaCon over Labor Day weekend here in Seattle. If anyone here is going, please stop by at any of my panels, or my reading, to say hello!

Thur 9/1 5:00 PM: Revision, Getting Things Right the Second or Third Time
    Fri 9/2 10:00 AM: The Art of the Storyteller
    Fri 9/2 12:00 PM: Getting That Novel Finished
    Fri 9/2 3:00 PM: Reading from The Sands of Sabakushi
    Sat 9/3 10:00 AM: Morality in Youth Oriented Fantasy (Robin Hobb is moderating that one).
    Sat 9/3 2:00 PM: Autograph table
    Sun 9/4 5:00 PM: Characters are People Too

As you can see, I'll be busy! But it's also a great way to meet people.

Hope to see some of you there!

I bought my wife a $500 Platinum Pass to some Buffy convention occurring here in Knoxville this September. She'll be able to do it all... banquet, cocktail party, individual photographs of her with the guests (Giles, Harmony, Glory, others), the full con experience.

We also went to a Vulkon in Cleveland a few years ago - Iyari Limon (Kennedy (another Buffy character)) played peek-a-boo with my (then) two-year old little girl for about 15 minutes, instantly catapulting her character from "hated" to "most beloved". James Marsters (Spike (yet another Buffy character - are y'all beginning to see a theme here? )) signed Sophie's Barney doll after he saw her dancing to his bands music.

Me? I was on baby duty the entire weekend. If you happened to be there, I was the "freak" who wore a tie on Saturday and Sunday.

Quick on the heels of my CascadiaCon schedule, I also received one for Foolscap, a rather smaller convention at the end of September in Seattle. Here's the panels I'll be on for that one:

Fri 9/23 4:00 PM: Writers Who Draw, Artists Who Write (a very appropropriate panel for me!)
    Sat 9/24 11:00 AM: Writing Dialogue Workshop

My guess would be that any out of town SFFWorlders would be coming to CascadiaCon (very big) rather than Foolscap (quite small). But Foolscap does have Harlan Ellison as the guest of honor this year, for any of you who might be game.

Again, any of our members from the Northwest area, please feel free to come to the con and say hello!

Quote Originally Posted by Radthorne
    But Foolscap does have Harlan Ellison as the guest of honor this year, for any of you who might be game.
    He can be quite good at speaking and telling funny stories, and he can be quite pithy.

What he is in both instances is very long. He took over a Friday night cocktail party with his response to a welcome toast, when he was GOH at Readercon, and held us hostage for almost 3 hours. Everything at that con was off schedule because he just went on and on. So if you want to risk him, sit/stand near the door so you can escape if you need to.

Thanks, FicusFan! Fortunately my 4:00 panel, at least, is opposite one of his, so my group will be able to go hang out at the bar when we're done and wait for him to finish with his group.

people form the uk going to dragon*con

is ther anyone on here from the uk whose going or... well at all

Steven Savile
    Well thanks to the wonders of WiFi I am currently somewhere over Greenland... on my way to Dragoncon. The few of us going should put up a note on the messageboards so we can find each other - otherwise, I will certainly be at the DUNE party with KJA, and I'll also be on a couple of panels on Sunday (check out the gothic horror track in the programme)...

See some of you soon.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Have a good time Steve, and anyone else going. Am quite jealous.

Expect a report when you get back!

Hobbit
    Mark

We'll be arriving @ Dragon*Con on Friday, Steven. We'll hunt you down sometime during the weekend!

I Wish There Were More Than Three Brits Going, Cos I' M The Only One Of Those Three Still In England

Well? How was Dragoncon?

Buffycon (see above) is this weekend - the guy who plays Giles, Anthony Stewart Head, canceled. Good show, old chap!

it was amazing.
    btw watch the british impression I am british and we don't say that

I heard that Joss Whedon bailed. Is that so?

Unless he was dressed up like Willy Wonka, no I didn't see Joss. They even made a spoof on the "Dragon*Con TV" about him bailing.

If you want a pictorial glimpse, Dave Nelson (photographer) has a gallery of great shots >>> http://davenelson.com/